DW.

Burning in power cables

I didn't want to sound serious ;-), but now you've asked the directional arrows on Interconnect leads , why ?

££££££££££££££s

Sensible answer.

In the vast majority of cables, the arrows are there because some idiot years ago decided there was a difference in cables depending on which way round you connected them, as a result, 'serious' cable manufacturers felt it necessary to add them, or their products would not be taken seriously (allegedly).

Anyone with even the remotest knowledge of the physics of electrical transfer through any medium can immediately see this is a crock of shite.

On the other hand, before completely demolishing every manufacturer in one hit, it needs to be noted that some (a minority) of cables use a construction method where the screen is connected only at one end, or where there is a form of diode network or similar in an attempt to eliminate ground loops. In this case, the direction (from sources to amp, for example) can make a real difference.

I used to connect I/Cs the "wrong way round" out of spite :nuts: - now I don't give a toss....

Today went on a spending spree and bought a pair of clearance KEF Q500 speakers and wife bought new laptop. Speakers are currently burning in, so is the wifes laptop. I wonder if the laptop will run faster and be clearer and more transparent when the mains cable has burnt in. I wonder how long it takes to burn in the house wiring, and also saw some guys replacing the national grid wiring, I hope they ordered pre-burnt in cable otherwise it could take years to improve the sound:)

Alan

Sensible answer.

In the vast majority of cables, the arrows are there because some idiot years ago decided there was a difference in cables depending on which way round you connected them, as a result, 'serious' cable manufacturers felt it necessary to add them, or their products would not be taken seriously (allegedly).

Anyone with even the remotest knowledge of the physics of electrical transfer through any medium can immediately see this is a crock of shite.

On the other hand, before completely demolishing every manufacturer in one hit, it needs to be noted that some (a minority) of cables use a construction method where the screen is connected only at one end, or where there is a form of diode network or similar in an attempt to eliminate ground loops. In this case, the direction (from sources to amp, for example) can make a real difference.

Interesting question. Is shite directional then?

Super Dealer
Do power cables burn in properly while units are switched on?

You picked the worst possible forum in the world to ask that question on!

Not a bad forum just the worst for that question. :)

Depends which way you throw it i suppose:D

Or if it hits a fan I suppose.

I bought some Chord bollox phono leads because the guy was clearing the lot out cheap at the Audio Jumble in Tonbridge a few years ago.

They have the directional arrows on them .... and do you know what ... I can't stop myself plugging them in so the arrows point towards the amp ....

I know this is shite ... Bah!

Just checked ...... they are all over the shop !! looks like the last time I was having a move around I couldn't be arsed ...... yes ! I'm cured ! ....go mnky ...!!

Super Dealer

The arrows on cables are there mainly to stop idiots contacting the seller/manufacturer to ask if they are directional, end of!

Super Wammer
Today went on a spending spree and bought a pair of clearance KEF Q500 speakers and wife bought new laptop. Speakers are currently burning in, so is the wifes laptop. I wonder if the laptop will run faster and be clearer and more transparent when the mains cable has burnt in. I wonder how long it takes to burn in the house wiring, and also saw some guys replacing the national grid wiring, I hope they ordered pre-burnt in cable otherwise it could take years to improve the sound:)

Alan

Unfortunately, due to the continuous bloating of software, the inability of the OS to properly manage the file system and the ever more frequent need to scan for or remove malware, the laptop will get slower as it burns in :-(

The arrows on cables are there mainly to stop idiots contacting the seller/manufacturer to ask if they are directional, end of!

Got the old vinyl going tonight Dave ...... that Jelly I bought from you on the 301 ..

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, due to the continuous bloating of software, the inability of the OS to properly manage the file system and the ever more frequent need to scan for or remove malware, the laptop will get slower as it burns in :-(

Ubuntu rules !!

Super Dealer
Got the old vinyl going tonight Dave ...... that Jelly I bought from you on the 301 ..

Super, enjoy, just off for a glass of port and some cheese now! :)

Super Dealer
Interesting question. Is shite directional then?

well it only comes out 1 way so mark the end