Wilmslow Audio

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I say avoid. I purchased a pair of their Encore loudspeakers. Beautiful drivers used, sadly in a badly designed cabinet. The drive units are also connected via a very poorly designed crossover.

You say that they fitted a completely incompatible tweeter but maybe the screw holes were in the same place on the faceplate. That's the main consideration surely??

From your pics it would also seem a distinct lack of internal bracing too.  Those Volt drivers should give some serious sound quality with the right cabinet etc - I love my 18” Volt bass units and the

Posted Images

On 07/06/2021 at 19:48, napoleonblownafet said:

The reason their speakers sound harsh is they don't understand the need to attenuate the tweeter against the woofer. Their HB1 kit has a 89dB woofer with a 92dB tweeter and the crossover has no attenuation on the tweeter. Seriously, this is the work of fools. I built my own x/o and have done a few for other people too.

Suggesting you try a valve amp is the ultimate expression of their ignorance IMHO. I shan't deal with them again.

The truth is. They don't have a clue how to make a decent crossover, full stop. They simply use a computer crossover software. They enter the details of the driver tech sheet and that's it. They don't listen to, or do any proper technical measurements.

Wilmslow audio apparently use to be good, that was when they had someone that knew what he was doing. He left a number of years ago, leaving cowboys running the business. Into the ground if they don't start doing a proper job.

WA had "improved" the teak Posselt Albatrosses I bought. These were a dog's breakfast of a shadow of their MDF cousins anyway (see thread on major project to make them match-fit again), but WA had replaced the 8ohm MDT30 with a 6ohm Scanspeak D2905... without changing the crossover. The latter is a fabulous tweeter but who the hell does this? This was one of the many reasons the speakers sounded out of balance.

One day, I'd be tempted to try that same tweeter in the Posselts myself, but I'd make sure the crossover was tweaked to fit.

Great for components but not for speaker work.

Edited by TheFlash

WA had "improved" the teak Posselt Albatrosses I bought. These were a dog's breakfast of a shadow of their MDF cousins anyway (see thread on major project to make them match-fit again), but WA had replaced the 8ohm MDT30 with a 6ohm Scanspeak D2905... without changing the crossover. The latter is a fabulous tweeter but who the hell does this? This was one of the many reasons the speakers sounded out of balance.
One day, I'd be tempted to try that same tweeter in the Posselts myself, but I'd make sure the crossover was tweaked to fit.
Great for components but not for speaker work.

You say that they fitted a completely incompatible tweeter but maybe the screw holes were in the same place on the faceplate. That's the main consideration surely??
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1