The Strat

Wammers Album Club - Tuesday 10th Feb - The Sidewinder Lee Morgan

Is this the coolest of the cool  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While not my favourite Lee Morgan album (that being Search For A New Land), it is still a classic.

Just one of the many many many great Blue Note albums - good choice.

• Upvote 1

Had a couple of listens. Very nice. Thought maybe a bit more 'jaunty' than I'd have liked at the start, but enjoyed it.

Approachable and not 'difficult' yet still interesting and enough edge. Like other Blue Note albums I've heard from that period (Wayne Shorter, McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock).

Not thrilling, not new, but a nice bit of classic jazz. Reckon four stars.

I quite like this. I've bought a lot of jazz in the last few years in an effort to educate myself. This may get purchased but it is a good solid 3/5.

I wish I knew more about Jazz and the maths and the technical 'stuff' to place this better. Anyway I liked it. Nothing here made my attention wander and some tracks were really great IMO. I esp liked the jazz club atmosphere, the great recording ( I don't know blue note but know the reputation for quality) BUT (and I admit here much ignorance of the technicalities going on within as said) I really did sometimes find myself waiting for

something to happen.

I think it's generic in this kind of improvised club noodling so maybe I'm just admitting to being too damned thick to really know what is what.

Nice noodles then for me. 4/5

Perfect, classic jazz Lindsay. Brilliant choice.

Perfect example of the genre. Superb playing and superb atmosphere in the recording.

I can't say that I'm going to go out and buy it, but that's because I've already got two copies of it ;-)

First class lad. Excellent choice.

Super Wammer

I thought I had this, but now find I have not :x. Copy ordered, and really looking forward to playing it. I love a bit of Hard Bop !!

Classic bit of "hard" bop - though it's much more approachable than some Coltrane or Thelonius Monk - it got in the charts and we play it in our garden centre...

So it's a likey from me - 4 stars only because he doesn't play enough wrong notes...

Classic bit of "hard" bop - though it's much more approachable than some Coltrane or Thelonius Monk -

So it's a likey from me - 4 stars only because he doesn't play enough wrong notes...

Pretty much this^^^

I don't play it often (in fact, I can't remember when I played it last :dunno: ). But it's none the worse/better for it. Very straight for Hard Bop and I prefer a bit more edge. Nothing really to complain about though. A strong 4/5.

Now FFS !!!! Somebody post something that I don't like :grrr:

4/5 from me. It's very smooth, almost too smooth at times. I really enjoyed it and will be listening to more of his albums. :^

Struggled with this to be honest just a 2/5 from me.

Super Wammer

possibly one of my desert island discs

a great intro to the Blue Note catalogue

Great mistake letting myself get put off after just one listen to this. So thanks for giviing me an opportunity to give it a proper listen Lindsay. It's a fairly straitforward and accessible album really so I don't know what frightened me off first time around. As Mr Smalls said earlier it's much more approachable than a lot of say Coltrane or Monk but that shouldn't necessarily be seen as a criticism. Good tunes, excellent playing, a lot of atmosphere - what's not to like?

5/5 from me and it will getting more plays from now on!

Super Wammer

Played today,and thoroughly enjoyed it, I didn't find it that hard, considering it was described as hard bop, but none the worse for that.

a solid 4/5

The poll shows that this is right up the Wam demographics street. :D I think the most comprehensive thumbs up I can remember in the WAC.