Audiolab 8300CDQ CD Player. Silver. Ex-Demo
Cyrus Stream Xa. Ex-Demo
Matrix Audio X SPDIF 2
Matrix Audio Quattro II
DEAL OF THE DAY
2014 Midwest Audiofest Tent Sale & Vintage Audio Swap
Icon Audio launch new valve CD player: the CDX2
Leicester-based valve specialists Icon Audio have launched their second CD player, the CDX2. Replacing Icon’s earlier, more expensive CDX1, the CDX2 has been specifically designed to deliver comparable sonics but at a lower, mid-range price.
The aim, says Icon’s founder and chief designer David Shaw, was “to craft a CD player with real warmth and dexterity. With that magical ‘vinyl sound’, in other words.”
The CDX2 features the latest 192kHz 24bit upsampling technology for high resolution. But more than this, Shaw has focused a keen eye on the product’s all-important output stage in order to avoid what he refers to as the “mechanical and soulless presentation” that some CD players have.
“I wanted a more musical presentation, with more warmth and colour. Something incredible easy to listen to,” he adds.
To that end, the CDX2 uses an all triode valve class A output stage using special quality T J Full Music or original Mullard valves. Special attention has been paid to the construction which makes it a hefty 9kg. The digital and analogue circuitry is hand-wired using full sized high quality components.
Externally, the CDX2 features a top-loading mechanism, avoiding the usual slide-out drawer and thereby improving rigidity. A heavier alloy clamp also acts as a flywheel to increase rotational stability during playback.
In keeping with Icon’s ‘built to last’ philosophy, everything in the CDX2 is serviceable and replaceable and, as with all Icon products, the company is keeps an extensive bank of spare parts, ensuring a reliable product with a long life.
As each CD player is finished in the UK, Icon can offer a range of ‘David Shaw Signature’ upgrades including superb Jensen copper foil oil-in-paper capacitors and premium ‘new old stock’ valves.
Icon Audio CDX2 key features
- Audiophile-grade components; no ‘surface mount’ parts used to ensure superior sound quality.
- Sanyo CD transport mechanism.
- CD-R compatible.
- Class A, all triode valve output stage.
- Latest 192kHz 24bit upsampling technology.
- Coaxial digital output.
- Gold-plated RCA sockets.
- ‘David Shaw Signature’ upgrade options including Jensen copper foil oil-in-paper capacitors and premium ‘new old stock’ valves.
- Parts easily maintained and upgraded (valves, capacitors, resistors, etc).
Icon Audio CDX2 technical specifications
|Output level||2v (0db reference standard)|
|Signal to noise ratio||-105dB|
|Frequency response||> 20hz-20kHz +0 – 5db|
|Digital outputs||1 x coaxial (RCA)|
|Dimensions||41cm (w) x 35cm (d) x 12cm (h)
44cm (w) x 40cm (d) x 18cm (h) packaged
|Shipping weight||9 kg|
Pricing & availability
- The Icon Audio CDX2 is available now, priced at £995 (including VAT).
- For ‘David Shaw Signature’ custom upgrade options, including superb Jensen copper foil oil-in-paper capacitors and premium ‘new old stock’ valves, please contact Icon Audio for a quote.
351 Aylestone Road
|Tel: 0116 244 0593
Classics rock Wharfedale resurrects Linton loudspeakers to deliver retro style and timeless musicality Cambridgeshire, England …