£3500 to beat my current setup

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
At the moment i have abit of an inbalance in my system, so if i had to start again, is there a system out there for £3500 (cdp/amp/speakers only, no need for cables) that will offer greater musical enjoyment and performance? As it stands my amp is worth as much as the rest of the system put together!

Im talking second hand bargains that can be had, what would you choose and why?

Cheers

Ultra

P.S it doesn't have to be MF:green:

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Naim CD5x, 202/200 N-sats or Neat Motive 3's sorted

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Ultra there are loads of things you could get for that kind of money, but defining what givesYOU more musical enjoyment will be the key..

For something different you should listen to a Naim setup, you'll either love it or hate it but if its a bit more pace and energy your looking for you could get a pleasant suprise. A used 202/200 would be a good place to start....

A decent valve based set up would also be easy to attain within your budget... as would adecent system around Meridian, copeland, densen, just to name a few...

What kind of thing are you thinking?

Hawk

P

purplepleaser

Them valves at the bake-off would take some beating. Speakers not bad either;).

Lee

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
£3500 would get me

Bow Technologies- Wazoo XL = £895

Meridian- 506 = £329

Spendor- S9e = £1995

Logic- DM 101 = £195

Leaves a couple of quid for records

E

earl of sodbury

I like the Densen/Copland suggestions, that's a "me too"; andI'd try and get a listen to Sonneteer, Sugdenor Thule electronics; speakers: PMC, Daliand Neat are still dampening my gusset...

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
AVI Lab Series CD Player and Integrated amp with WB Arcs

(All secondhand of course - Shadow Audio have this for £3689)

Ideally Audionet SAM CDP and SAM V2 Integrated with WB Arcs -if you look around hard enough you could probably pick this up S/H for about £3800. RRP new is about £7k.

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
Well having evaluated how much my kit is worth secondhand, i was contemplating whether to sell it and get a more balanced system and in the process save myself some cash aswell? I heard Naim can't do imaging and soundstaging...
tongue.png

I haven't even recieved the Tri Vista 300 yet (tommorrow) but chances are, yes i will love it...

The whole idea of this is A) i will get to hear new brands, B) save myself some money and C) see if the same musical enjoyment can be had for less money!

Aquiring the Tri Vista 300 was really pushing the boat out for me, even at the great price i got it for:doh:(have to be a Hermit for the next 2 months) so it would be nice to free up abit of spare cash...

Densen does look very sexy and i have always secretly beentempted to turn to the darkside :naimee:

Cheers

Ultra

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, if you do decide to change the whole rig Ultra be sure to try the Audionet/WB combo...it's superb. Fantastic looks, awesome build quality and a very fast, exciting and detailed sound. It'll take some beating - Jasper has this very setup - perhaps he'd demo it to you if you ask nicely.

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
Papa Lazarou wrote:

AVI Lab Series CD Player and Integrated amp with WB Arcs(All secondhand of course - Shadow Audio have this for £3689)

Ideally Audionet SAM CDP and SAM V2 Integrated with WB Arcs -if you look around hard enough you could probably pick this up S/H for about £3800. RRP new is about £7k.
Those are both very good suggestions, i was very tempted by the Arcs and the silver/carbon fibre finish is right up my street too. The trouble with Shadow is, all their good gear in the used dept are usually sold before the mags hit the shelves! Will ring up and enquire...

Ive seen 2 Audionet SAM v2's for under £1200:Dbut can't find the matching amp anywhere...

But you're probably right, the Arc's would be a good place to start:cool:

Cheers

Ultra

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
ultrasonic wrote:

I heard Naim can't do imaging and soundstaging...
tongue.png
Newer Naim is very different to the Olive range that earn't the said reputation! All I'll say is that you should let your own ears be the judge
wink.png
Naim does focus on different areas of musical representation than MF, but not completely to the degree that it cant image or soundstage at all..

Hawk

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Ultra, get something that you can sell relatively easily.....Christ knows you wonj't keep it for long
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Serioulsy though, where is the imbalance in your system? There should be bugger all wrong with your new amp, your speakers are OK (have forgotten your source this week) .......

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ultra, those were my suggestions but i cannot see why you're already considering a change.You haven't even heard your rig with the new amp yet! You sound like you've decided to get away from MF altogether....does this have anything to do with other Wigwammers opinions about the brand?

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
your system looks very good for £3500 Ultra.

Obviously I could suggest some Jap Crap which I would personally prefer - but if you like MF, you are pretty high up the foodchain now, and would be surprised if you could improve much if you started over.

Having said that - not sure I'd choose the Tri-Vista DAC as my source, even in a MF system
tongue.png
:p:) (I'm sure it has its fans, but I didn't like it)

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
Papa, the subtitle of this thread was "just a thought" i was just intrigued by the idea of a total system swap! Chances are im not going to:p

Just rang shadow audio for a nice chat, the arcs have been sold, as have the AVI goodies (not to me:gag:) Tim recommended an isotek mains filter...am sorely tempted:clout:

Im getting impatient with my yet to arrive Tri Vista though...worst part of buying new kit, waiting for it!!

I finally succumb to hooking the Yamaha up-bloddy speaker terminals don't even take banana's so using single wire QED SA:puke:

This is certainly an example of source first going pear shaped, the overall sound is a disgrace:doh:2D soundstage, no air around the instruments, one note bass and no groove whatsoever...the final few moments before i packedthe A308away for postage were memorable ones, it sounded sooo right!
stereo.gif.78ed128503393f1c4bf77692f274c985.gif

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
Biscuit wrote:

your system looks very good for £3500 Ultra. Obviously I could suggest some Jap Crap which I would personally prefer - but if you like MF, you are pretty high up the foodchain now, and would be surprised if you could improve much if you started over.

Having said that - not sure I'd choose the Tri-Vista DAC as my source, even in a MF system
tongue.png
:p:) (I'm sure it has its fans, but I didn't like it)
Biccy, which aspect of the Tri Vista DAC did you not like?I find it has exceptional midrange and very sweet airy highs plus soundstaging and imaging are first rate. The only thing it doesn't do is rock solid bass punch which i crave but then that could have been theA308 struggling with the 9NT's...all will be revealed when they get 350watts pumped up their arse with gusto:shaggers:

My most likely furute upgrade will be the transport, am just waiting for the results from the transport bakeoff plus my bank account to be back in credit:oops:well if 0.26p CR counts:minikiev:

Cheers

(skint)

Ultra

P

purplepleaser

Hi Ultrasonic,

What i would do is try and get a listen to a forum members system. It would help if it was in or around your price range.

This may make you realise that you have made the right choice in the first place.Or guide you to the sound/system that you seem to be looking for.

We could all recommend different kit to you, I would try and get a listen to a couple of real world setup's first.

Also try your new amp.It may make you happy.

This might not help, but its what i would try if i wasunsure where or what to do next.

Lee:)

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
I thought it sounded veiled (good audiophool term
wink.png
), with not much groove, overall a bit ponderous and sluggish.

Keep in mind that this was a year or more ago in a system I hadn't heard before (also before I started getting into hifi) when I think back, it was probably PMC/MF3.2/Trivista.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan