12 AWG vs 20A question

bonzo

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
London
Hi, am going schuko, and am picking up some 12 awg wires. However, my Audio Research Amp has a 20A inlet. So, if I change the IEC connector of the 12 AWG wire to 20A, will that work?

ps: Before anyone calls foo, I am going schuko not because I think mains stuff works, because I want to find out if it does or doesn't which is the point.

Kev

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 9, 2006
sunny Stoke on Trent
Sorry I don't know AWG so had to look it up. According to the infallible WWW then 12AWG is 3.3sqmm. I don't know what the 20A connections are but cables are built to standards. Not knowing anything about your cables and ratings, I would suggest that IF your cables are 3.3sqmm then they are more than capable of taking 13A, so why would you change them because the UK inlet ratings are 13A, and are you able to change the inlets safely. Whatever you change them to make sure they are CE marked.

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
Instead of using Schuko why don't you just take the fuses out of your current plugs and replace them with a nice bit of copper wire.

That does sound a bit like something only a complete fuckwit would do. But it is what you are effectively doing by using Schukos. Don't be a fuckwit.

bonzo

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
London
Right, my electrician just said he can't certify a separate wire from the consumer board for a schuko socket without a fuse. What he can do is break into my existing living room (which doesn't have much on it, jus lights anyway) and create a spur with a 13A fuse that can have a schuko socket, in which case there is not much point. It was a good idea that kept me engaged for a couple of days.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
Right, my electrician just said he can't certify a separate wire from the consumer board for a schuko socket without a fuse. What he can do is break into my existing living room (which doesn't have much on it, jus lights anyway) and create a spur with a 13A fuse that can have a schuko socket, in which case there is not much point. It was a dumb idea that kept me engaged for a couple of days.
fxt

GR1

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2012
London
AKA
Graham
It is only acceptable to use Schukos if they are fed from a fused 13 amp plug. The fuse must be rated to protect the thinnest mains cable being used. Otherwise your home insurance may be invalid. Please take advice from a qualified electrician and follow it.

Safety is not optional.

68rednose

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2013
Mainland Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here in NL/Germany we have Schuko plugs (=not fused) and (automatic and centrally placed) 13A fuses per group where the mains comes into the house.

AFAIK you have in the UK these central fuses as well, so why do you need another one in the plug according the UK regulations?

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Here in NL/Germany we have Schuko plugs (=not fused) and (automatic and centrally placed) 13A fuses per group where the mains comes into the house.AFAIK you have in the UK these central fuses as well, so why do you need another one in the plug according the UK regulations?
Thats because you have radial circuits, and each socket is individually fused, while ring mains in the UK are nominally 30A, so the fuse at the CU is rated for that, and protecting the appliance cable requires an additional, lower rated, fuse. (The plug top fuse's main purpose, the equipment should have internal fuses anyway)

68rednose

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2013
Mainland Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thats because you have radial circuits, and each socket is individually fused, while ring mains in the UK are nominally 30A, so the fuse at the CU is rated for that, and protecting the appliance cable requires an additional, lower rated, fuse. (The plug top fuse's main purpose, the equipment should have internal fuses anyway)
:bulb: aha! Now I understand, thanx for the explanation!

Edit:

just checked, we have centrally 16A fuses, not 13A :oops: .

The sockets in the room however, do not have fuses.

The power rating of all appliences should not exceed some 3600 W (16A x 230V) per group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hczxynbvtr