2 channel system for £6k - not incl. speakers

Smonks

Wammer
Dec 12, 2022
Leeds, Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been looking at amps etc and getting recommendations/suggestions for these, but out of interest, and perhaps to throw some other contenders into the melting pot, what would you put together for £6k...

The £6k does not include the cost of speakers (possibly going to be using Focal Aria K2 936 but yet to audition - 92db sensitivity, 8ohns down to 2.4ohms) or turntable.
I also already have a REL T7X and will possibly be using a Rega RP6 or RP8,

Must have System Requirements for £6k....
Amplifier
DAC
Streamer ( access to Tidal / Qobuz)
MC Phono Stage or input for and external MC Phono Stage ( could be MM as not purchased yet )
Speaker cables - pair x 2m terminated with bananas ( thinking Tellerium Q Black II as a minimum )
Interconnects if needed.

Nice to have. but not essential...
HDMI eARC ( listen to tv through the system - could use optical out for sound if necessary )

Happy to consider ex-demo or secondhand if in excellent confition and not difficult to find s/h. Less money would be good, but also happy to wait and spend a little more if necessary.

So, what would you put together for this budget? ( I know this is all subjective and it depends what i like the sound of, just fishing for ideas of things to consider/audition )

on the rocks

Wammer
Dec 13, 2020
Sheffield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would suggest Musical Fidelity. Mx streamer, M6x DAC and M6si integrated amplifier. This would fit your budget well and many say a good match for Focal speakers. Whether this matches your taste would depend on a demo

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a nice chunk of money to spend and it will get you some quality kit - especially if considering second hand.

I think you would need to start breaking your budget down between components and the key initial question would be how important vinyl is to you vs digital. If you are likely to be playing a lot of vinyl then that side should be probably taking up half the budget at least, if it is just occasional plays then something more modest would more than suffice.

Have you had a chance to listen to many different systems? If starting from a blank sheet, taking the time to hear the different approaches that are possible will help give you a much better sense of the type of sound - ergo - the type of components that would work best for you. No-one on this forum has exactly the same set up, but most of us are very happy with what we have - recommendations will therefore be down to personal preference, so it becomes important that you establish yours too.

You undoubtedly learn as you move along in this hobby but that can be expensive if you set off in a direction that ultimately doesn't satisfy you. Let us know where you are in the country and I am sure that some invites will follow to pop round and here a few different systems from your local Wammers.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would suggest Musical Fidelity. Mx streamer, M6x DAC and M6si integrated amplifier. This would fit your budget well and many say a good match for Focal speakers. Whether this matches your taste would depend on a demo
God no!! They will make the Focals scream!! Total mismatch. Both are good but not together sorry.

To the op, room size, furnishings etc. you must mention these or your gonna get anything recommended without a thought.

Get home demos please, it’s a MUST!!

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's tempting when you have 6 k to just dive in . @lostwin's post is to be noted . It's not a race. The difficulty facing you is buying multiple components at the same time . A lot of us started with budget and then tweaked individual components and slowly edged our way forwards . I would go the second hand ex dem route to make your buck go further.

Last edited:

on the rocks

Wammer
Dec 13, 2020
Sheffield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
God no!! They will make the Focals scream!! Total mismatch. Both are good but not together sorry.

To the op, room size, furnishings etc. you must mention these or your gonna get anything recommended without a thought.

HaHa, I can’t remember where I heard the comment on MF and Focal but happy to be corrected on here. FWIW my M6i drive PMC speakers which meets my taste in my listening room. If I decide to stream I’ll be interested to try the M6x DAC and Mx streamer

Reactions: hiesteem

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

HaHa, I can’t remember where I heard the comment on MF and Focal but happy to be corrected on here. FWIW my M6i drive PMC speakers which meets my taste in my listening room. If I decide to stream I’ll be interested to try the M6x DAC and Mx streamer
love MF kit but wouldn’t recommend if you haven’t heard or owned with the Focals. I have heard and my ears were burning!
Never heard with PMC but room acoustics play a massive part in choice of speaker.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In additional to my post above, I would suggest that it is possible to 'bucket' your approach to system building.

In one bucket I would put the source components. The differences found here will have much less impact on the ultimate type of music presentation compared to the amp - and particularly - speaker bucket. For example, a high sensitivity horn speaker system run from valve amps will retain its primary sonic signature whether run from a direct drive, rigid or suspended turntable or any number of streamer / DAC combinations.

As such, I would focus on listening to as many different types of amp / speaker combinations as possible, as this will give you the best idea of the sort of presentation that works for your ears. Try and get a listen to active speakers, panels as well as a range of passive floor standers and stand mounts of various configurations and sensitivity to get a sense of what is possible. Source components can then be added in the knowledge that whilst you will hear differences, you are unlikely to upset the apple cart.

As others have said, the room you are putting the speakers into will also be a major factor and could well take you down a certain path too.

Smonks

Wammer
Dec 12, 2022
Leeds, Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have you had a chance to listen to many different systems?

Not systems per se, but have auditioned the following amps so far...

Supernait 3
Rega Aethos
Moon 240i
Moon 390 / 330A
NAD M33

I have a lot of vinyl but I reckon streaming will be utilised most - probably 70/30 I supect -streaming being 70%

Room size about 4m x 8m

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not systems per se, but have auditioned the following amps so far...

Supernait 3
Rega Aethos
Moon 240i
Moon 390 / 330A
NAD M33

I have a lot of vinyl but I reckon streaming will be utilised most - probably 70/30 I supect -streaming being 70%

Room size about 4m x 8m
Where they all hooked up to the Focal speakers you mentioned?

Iceman 16

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2010
Swansea
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Focal Aria‘s are not as hot in the top end when compared to other series ime. My previous Focal Electra 1028be’s sounds much forward and brighter like the Utopia which I have auditioned a few times.

Smonks

Wammer
Dec 12, 2022
Leeds, Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Where they all hooked up to the Focal speakers you mentioned?

Unfortunately not, I've heard them on Neat speakers, Focal Aria Standmounts, ATC 40 (Active and Passive), PBS Synchrony - some in the same dealers and others at other dealers - gets very difficult as one dealer has a good listening room, and some of the others have awul rooms wtth horrendous acoustics (far worse than my room at home).
My local dealer is getting the Focal Aria K2 936 in for me as for 2 weeks Focal were doing a deal on them - £1.5k off when traded in for any speaker - and my current ones are worth about a £100 at best so a good deal....if I like them but i was impressed with the standard Aria standmounts.

Smonks

Wammer
Dec 12, 2022
Leeds, Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Smonks if you are not in a massive rush perhaps you could visit local bake-offs and hear kit that is of interest and discuss your ideas with fellow Wammers etc?

Id be up for that if it wasn't hearing systems than cost crazy money - no point hearing what I can't afford ;) I'm in Leeds so anyone Yorkshire based ideally.

AndyCC72

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 4, 2021
Bexley, Kent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been looking at amps etc and getting recommendations/suggestions for these, but out of interest, and perhaps to throw some other contenders into the melting pot, what would you put together for £6k...

The £6k does not include the cost of speakers (possibly going to be using Focal Aria K2 936 but yet to audition - 92db sensitivity, 8ohns down to 2.4ohms) or turntable.
I also already have a REL T7X and will possibly be using a Rega RP6 or RP8,

Must have System Requirements for £6k....
Amplifier
DAC
Streamer ( access to Tidal / Qobuz)
MC Phono Stage or input for and external MC Phono Stage ( could be MM as not purchased yet )
Speaker cables - pair x 2m terminated with bananas ( thinking Tellerium Q Black II as a minimum )
Interconnects if needed.

Nice to have. but not essential...
HDMI eARC ( listen to tv through the system - could use optical out for sound if necessary )

Happy to consider ex-demo or secondhand if in excellent confition and not difficult to find s/h. Less money would be good, but also happy to wait and spend a little more if necessary.

So, what would you put together for this budget? ( I know this is all subjective and it depends what i like the sound of, just fishing for ideas of things to consider/audition )
Lyngdorf 3400

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
By all accounts the more recent Focal speakers have a smoother top end… My Kanta No 1s are fabulous. Highly recommended! Lots of great reviews out there…

I’m listening to Kruder & Dorfmeister right now and they’re sounding great (through my Hegel pre amp and Bel Canto monoblocks).

I quite like Giles Peterson but he can go off on a tangent sometimes.

Also, I agree with Rockchild. MF and Focal are a big no no. The MF amps tend to have a hot treble and an exaggerated bass (think smile curve). I would have thought the M33 would be a good amp…

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately not, I've heard them on Neat speakers, Focal Aria Standmounts, ATC 40 (Active and Passive), PBS Synchrony - some in the same dealers and others at other dealers - gets very difficult as one dealer has a good listening room, and some of the others have awul rooms wtth horrendous acoustics (far worse than my room at home).
My local dealer is getting the Focal Aria K2 936 in for me as for 2 weeks Focal were doing a deal on them - £1.5k off when traded in for any speaker - and my current ones are worth about a £100 at best so a good deal....if I like them but i was impressed with the standard Aria standmounts.
On the contrary, at this stage I would say that it is fortunate that you have already heard a range of speakers and got a sense of the impact of the listening room. Any favourites from the speakers you have heard so far, and did you feel that the active ATC's offered something the passive speakers did not?

Smonks

Wammer
Dec 12, 2022
Leeds, Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the contrary, at this stage I would say that it is fortunate that you have already heard a range of speakers and got a sense of the impact of the listening room. Any favourites from the speakers you have heard so far, and did you feel that the active ATC's offered something the passive speakers did not?

The actives were awful to be honest (using atc pre amp), great for jazz with impressive clarity, but when I put some Led Zeppelin on the guitar was like shards of glass going into my ears and had to turn it off - way way too bright, and my wife felt the same. I found the passives better but they didnt blow me away. Ive also listened to some pro-acs and they were nice but in a very bad listening room so it could have been the reflection issues that made them not sound quite right.
I was really impressed with the little focals to be honest and they were by quite a long way, the cheapest Ive listened to!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles