2 channel system for £6k - not incl. speakers

on the rocks

Wammer
Dec 13, 2020
Sheffield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you’re not too far from Hull Fanthorpes have some ex demo PMC Twenty5 26 speakers reduced from £7895 to £3995. As with all brands some folk like PMC and others don’t but maybe worth checking out?

Reactions: Smonks

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you’re not too far from Hull Fanthorpes have some ex demo PMC Twenty5 26 speakers reduced from £7895 to £3995. As with all brands some folk like PMC and others don’t but maybe worth checking out?
Fanthorpes looks a good shout as may be possible to listen to Kef and Dali speakers there as well, plus Martin Logan panels and even the JBL L100 . A nicely diverse selection.

Reactions: hiesteem

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, I've had my eye on the one I am aware of, at a good price too, but it's down south and I've yet to hear the H390 and don't want to buy it without ever having heard it. I believe it's an amp on the warm side of neutral?

StingRay mentioned lisrtening to active speakers....I have listened to the ATC SMC40A hooked up to ATC SCA2 - about £15k for that pairing, and it was the worst sound I've ever heard! initially, whilst playing some MIles Davis the sound was wonderfully clear with great separation but something was missing so I moved on to some female vocals and again it sounded nice but there wasn't any depth. I then tried some Led Zeppelin and Communication Breakdown - fast and bright guitar riff and it was unbearable, my wife and I recoiled in horror and had to turn it off, it was so bright it was painful. That was a good lesson learned as I coveted those speakers and they were a huge disappointment.

I then listened to the ATC SMC40 paired with the Rega Aethos and that was a marked improvement on the actives but they didn't sound 'wow'. Of course it may be that it wasn't a good pairing, but the sound just didn't come close to qualifying their price tag when listening to my musical tastes.

We were saying our goodbyes to the dealer when he asked if I had heard focals, as I hadn't he offered to quickly set up some of the Aria 906 (he didn't have any floorstanders in stock and was sold out of the kantas ). Again paired with the Rega. We were both impressed and considering they were about a seventh of the cost of the ATC's we still thought they were a better overall sound - not perfect, but nice enough to warrant further exploration into the brand. I know they have a reputation for being bright but we didn't find that to be the case at all, compared to the active 40's they were positively warm!

I'm quite sure the ATC's are excellent speakers, perhaps they suit certain types of music more than others, and good pairing is essential, but it was a valauble lesson that day as speakers I had coveted fell way short, and were beaten by others (im my experience) that were, on paper, inferiror speakers. A great example that personal taste doesn't equate with value.

I was a bit concerned that I wasn't hearing right so went and had my ears micro suctioned and had a hearing test - all clean now and my hearing has been given the all clear. The search for that aural sweet spot continues!
ATC seem to divide opinions, not heard them yet but my dealer has them. You could try some Kef actives, LS50 or 60s, also the Dyns. Yes clarity is one noticeable difference I found, won't suit everyone.

Only heard PMCs once and they were awful, some of the worst speakers I have heard, similar to your ATC experience. Kefs are warmer in my experience without being too warm. Harbeth are another brand that may suit you but are expensive now. I would go speaker first then find the amp.

Last edited:

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, I havent heard that many speakers to be honest but limited by what's available in my region. I listen to systems at dealers and think yeah, thats a great sound....most sound really nice, but whether Im going to find one that really knocks my socks off and lets me know that's the definite sound i want is another matter. I could go on forever I reckon.
Smonks - You've received lots of good and perhaps some bad or indifferent replies here, but are we overlooking one very important factor? Do I understand correctly that you have yet to decide on your speakers?

If so, then ditch all the advice you've been given and look at your speaker choice before thinking about what is best to power them. Otherwise you may well make a poor amp choice and (whatever amp you choose) your choice of speaker will become restricted.

Speakers are far and away the most variable, most important and most room-dependent part of a hi-fi system and needs to be very carefully considered and chosen before you look for a suitable amp for the speakers. I'm sure everyone here will agree - get speakers that suit your room, budget and music preference first, then find a great front end that is compatible and will make the most of the speakers.

If you already have long-term speakers, please ignore this but let us know what speakers you have in order that sensible suggestions can be offered.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't agree with speakers first as a speaker will always bring its own colourations and ideally if you like a particular front end and amp there will be a speaker that allows the information through. A lot can't because of their limitations.
Often a dealer would have done that work for you and may have a speaker in the shop that compliments the front ends abilities.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't agree with speakers first as a speaker will always bring its own colourations and ideally if you like a particular front end and amp there will be a speaker that allows the information through. A lot can't because of their limitations.
Often a dealer would have done that work for you and may have a speaker in the shop that compliments the front ends abilities.
Unfortunately this may lead to disappointment. The showroom's acoustics are likely to be nothing like those of your own room, so taking your own amp to get a demonstration with the dealer's idea of a great speaker won't necessarily be a good choice when you get them home - even if the demo is convincing. I learnt this at my cost a couple of years ago when I read reviews and arranged a very convincing demo at a top London showroom, only to find they sounded far less good than the 17 year old speakers I was planning to replace. No, get the right speaker (TYPE as well as brand and model) for your room after a home demo, then if necessary change the amp to best suit your new speakers.

So, in my view, it's speakers to suit room first, then amp to suit speakers - every time.

Last edited:

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So he was simply bragging about having some money to spend.

After xmas shopping I have £2.58 and three bows. Any ideas?

Reactions: womaz

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I read these threads with excitement building , wondering what the OP chose and more ofen than not…….well they just end :)

Any updates ?
They post when they are shopping and excited.
Then don't bother again because they are at home gloating.
Stories with no endings are rubbish. 😄

Reactions: womaz

Southeast

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 5, 2019
Chichester
AKA
Jason
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been looking at amps etc and getting recommendations/suggestions for these, but out of interest, and perhaps to throw some other contenders into the melting pot, what would you put together for £6k...

The £6k does not include the cost of speakers (possibly going to be using Focal Aria K2 936 but yet to audition - 92db sensitivity, 8ohns down to 2.4ohms) or turntable.
I also already have a REL T7X and will possibly be using a Rega RP6 or RP8,

Must have System Requirements for £6k....
Amplifier
DAC
Streamer ( access to Tidal / Qobuz)
MC Phono Stage or input for and external MC Phono Stage ( could be MM as not purchased yet )
Speaker cables - pair x 2m terminated with bananas ( thinking Tellerium Q Black II as a minimum )
Interconnects if needed.

Nice to have. but not essential...
HDMI eARC ( listen to tv through the system - could use optical out for sound if necessary )

Happy to consider ex-demo or secondhand if in excellent confition and not difficult to find s/h. Less money would be good, but also happy to wait and spend a little more if necessary.

So, what would you put together for this budget? ( I know this is all subjective and it depends what i like the sound of, just fishing for ideas of things to consider/audition )
A good question to reflect on is what type of sound do you enjoy.
For me I listen to similar music and I like a very open spacey type sound that I can sink and relax Into too, I do not like brightness.
I have achieved this with my system of
YBA a100 amplifier
Primo volumio streamer and a wiim pro.
Micromega mydac.
Musical fidelity cd3.2
Pro-ject debut pro
Musical fidelity phono
Castle seven 2
Skw cables throughout.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately this may lead to disappointment. The showroom's acoustics are likely to be nothing like those of your own room, so taking your own amp to get a demonstration with the dealer's idea of a great speaker won't necessarily be a good choice when you get them home - even if the demo is convincing. I learnt this at my cost a couple of years ago when I read reviews and arranged a very convincing demo at a top London showroom, only to find they sounded far less good than the 17 year old speakers I was planning to replace. No, get the right speaker (TYPE as well as brand and model) for your room after a home demo, then if necessary change the amp to best suit your new speakers.

So, in my view, it's speakers to suit room first, then amp to suit speakers - every time.
The detail and consequent presentation is developed at the front of the chain.
Yes the speakers can (if good enough) develop the presentation, however in the end for me they have to be able to allow the information through and a compliment to the overall presentation.
Yes very wise to demo speakers in the home environment.
I bought my system all at the same time and there is no right or wrong.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The detail and consequent presentation is developed at the front of the chain.
Yes the speakers can (if good enough) develop the presentation, however in the end for me they have to be able to allow the information through and a compliment to the overall presentation.
Yes very wise to demo speakers in the home environment.
I bought my system all at the same time and there is no right or wrong.
Source first 🥸

• Haha
Reactions: hiesteem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online