Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2008
Scotland
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My local car dealer has a lovely condition 2003 Mercedes CLK 270 CDI, diesel/automatic for £5,750 in silver colour.

Any good....?

Anyone have any knowledge of this make/model etc, would love to hear any thoughts/views/experience please.

Thanks;

pete

itsthewulef

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2010
Holsworthy, Devon.
AKA
Paul
Hi Pete...I dont have any experience with this particular model but I had the CLK 230 Kompressor convertible on a 53 plate and enjoyed every minute i had it. I kept it for 3 years and only sold it when the credit crunch hit and could no longer afford to run two cars and in all that time it never put a foot wrong, I would have another in a heartbeat,. as long as it has got a full service history it should prove bombproof...and they drive beautifully too.... :) :^

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Test drive is essential. Diesel/Automatic is a combination that some love and some hate.

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
one of my friends has this exact car. It's done 200k miles so far but they've been far from trouble free ones. £600 for a new alternator is the latest thing, plus there is some unintended 'active steering' going on at the back when you go over a bump which he's hoping won't cost thousands. The interior is also mullered but it's beige / white and he practically lives in the thing most days of the week.

personally I'd avoid mercs of this vintage as they fall directly into the penny pinching era. get an earlier boggle eyed one and fix the rust or stump up the wedge for a post 2007 one where quality started the long climb upwards.

Frankly I think the past 3 generation merc coupes look odd, bland and overwrought but eye of the beholder and all that. If i was going for a 6kish german coupe it's be a late 90's bimmer 6 or merc e. about as reliable and rust prone but with infinitely more class.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First point, this is an import.

Merc didn't import the 270 to the UK at all, so if this isn't a conversion, it's come in from wherever in europe they drive on the left.

This may mean that bits of it don't conform to UK regs?

Second, horrendous rust probs on mercs of that era, amongst other horror stories.

As Julian suggested, you'd do better with a late 90's W124 E class convertible, although they are pricey now, maybe 2X your budget for a good one.

So sadly, I'd walk off were it me.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Without knowing the mileage, the price sounds high. the 270d engine isn't that well loved and was criticised for sounding quite noisy compared to its contemporaries, and even the 220 of the same vintage.

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
Northants, UK
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think Myrman has summat like that.
I have a 2002 C270 CDi Auto. I have a love/hate relationship with mine. Its very good on fuel giving me approx 40-50mpg for short everyday journeys. On the motorway I've had 60mpg on a 200 mile run but that's taking it easy but its a wallowing lump to drive and at the first opportunity that arises I will be back in a Beemer (A BM autobox walks all over the Merc IMO) but for now its reliable and good on fuel so I'm sticking with it until my finances improve or I stop buying hifi.

........and I have a cassette player. Retro or what :cool:

Seriously though why the fuck would any car newer than the mid nineties have a bloody cassette player? My 2001 5 series had one too :doh:

Without knowing the mileage, the price sounds high. the 270d engine isn't that well loved and was criticised for sounding quite noisy compared to its contemporaries, and even the 220 of the same vintage.
I agree with Mark that price is too high. Walk or haggle hard, like at least £1k off of that price

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a 2002 C270 CDi Auto. I have a love/hate relationship with mine. Its very good on fuel giving me approx 40-50mpg for short everyday journeys. On the motorway I've had 60mpg on a 200 mile run but that's taking it easy but its a wallowing lump to drive and at the first opportunity that arises I will be back in a Beemer (A BM autobox walks all over the Merc IMO) but for now its reliable and good on fuel so I'm sticking with it until my finances improve or I stop buying hifi. ........and I have a cassette player. Retro or what :cool:

Seriously though why the fuck would any car newer than the mid nineties have a bloody cassette player? My 2001 5 series had one too :doh:

I agree with Mark that price is too high. Walk or haggle hard, like at least £1k off of that price
Nick, am I wrong about the import thing then? I looked at all the merc history sites and they suggest the 270 never came to the UK????? :?

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Nick, am I wrong about the import thing then? I looked at all the merc history sites and they suggest the 270 never came to the UK????? :?
The 270 was definitely available in the UK.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boro53

Latest Articles