2nd hand hifi search engine

dunkyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2006
London
AKA
Duncan Armstrong
Just thought I'd let you know that I've made a custom Google search engine tailored to searching for 2nd hand hifi within the UK, including classified ad sections of forums like this one. I did it for myself (in my quest for ATC Active 50s!
smile.png
), but thought it might come in handy for other folk too.

Find it here: http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=016871463489058191226%3Aasc9p4ueebk

UPDATE: Have registered the URL www.2ndhandhifisearch.co.uk to make it a bit more memorable!

Or for a slightly more memorable URL (redirected from my own site):

dunkyboy.com/misc/hifisearch.php

It allows volunteers to submit new sites to be included in the search, so if you know of some juicy sites, go ahead and volunteer (or just PM/email me about them). I want to keep it as well targeted as possible, so you get reliable 2nd hand hifi results back, and nothing else.

It mostly seems to work well (though it's not perfect). I've used http://www.exdem.co.uk before and it's okay, but I'm hoping this Google one will be better, particularly if I can get folk volunteering to contribute.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Dunc

P.S. - I'll be cross-posting this on other forums - please don't be offended!

Shakey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2006
Wallingford, Oxon.
AKA
Gavin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice one Dunkyboy! I've been after something like this for ages, it'll coem in very handy next year!

In our private classifieds secion there's a list of dealer's second hand and ex-dem links http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum5/294.html I dunno if that's any use to you for expanding your search engine thingy (however it works)? I've found it pretty handy, but if it was searchable.....!

Thanks again!
smile.png

dunkyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2006
London
AKA
Duncan Armstrong
Cool, well give it a try when you get the chance. Any and all feedback is welcome.

And yes, I did use that posting as part of my source for hifi sites. Your link could do with the parenthesis and full stop being removed from the end of it though.
smile.png

Dunc

E

earl of sodbury

Bloody good initiative Dunkyboy!
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Will give it a whirl next time I'm kit-hunting.

churz, eofs

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

Bloody good initiative Dunkyboy!
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
Will give it a whirl next time I'm kit-hunting.

churz, eofs
so, next week then?
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif
14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif

Shakey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2006
Wallingford, Oxon.
AKA
Gavin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dunkyboy wrote:

Cool, well give it a try when you get the chance.  Any and all feedback is welcome.And yes, I did use that posting as part of my source for hifi sites.  Your link could do with the parenthesis and full stop being removed from the end of it though.
smile.png

Dunc
Just changed it, hope that's better (I'm not much cop at this kind of thing!)

Already tried it and found the CDP/DAC I'm after....shame I'm skint.
sad.png

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Didn't find what I wanted despite me finding it by looking on one of the links on that thread. How odd.

dunkyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2006
London
AKA
Duncan Armstrong
Ant wrote:

Didn't find what I wanted despite me finding it by looking on one of the links on that thread. How odd.
Which link was that? I find it has trouble with sites that make heavy use of scripts and frames, and that don't let you navigate directly to the pages (e.g. www.midlandaudiox-change.co.uk ). Was it one like that?

I'm also still getting the hang of the custom search engine system, so it may be my fault!
smile.png

Dunc

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
dunkyboy wrote:

Ant wrote:
Which link was that? I find it has trouble with sites that make heavy use of scripts and frames, and that don't let you navigate directly to the pages (e.g. http://www.midlandaudiox-change.co.uk ). Was it one like that?

I'm also still getting the hang of the custom search engine system, so it may be my fault!
smile.png

Dunc
I think it's googles algorithm www.definitiveaudio.co.uk was the link.Search for "Living Voice" and then search for Living Voice

dunkyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2006
London
AKA
Duncan Armstrong
I see what you mean. Very strange... Not sure there's anything I can do about that. That said, the Google Custom Search Engine product is still in early stages, and it's probably fair to assume they'll still be ironing out the bugs.

Let me know if you spot any other weirdness like that. If I can compile a list of similar specific occurrences, I'll send them to Google support and see what they say.

Cheers,

Dunc

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dunkyboy, will you marry me?

I'm fat, balding and have a bad goatee beard. And I've been told it's only the first inch that hurts.....

Well done on the 2nd hand search thread, I spend ages scouring the classifieds and adverts for pre-owned kit so another couple will never go amiss!

Strider.

dunkyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2006
London
AKA
Duncan Armstrong
I've just registered the domain name www.2ndhandhifisearch.co.uk to make it a bit more memorable. (http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=016871463489058191226%3Aasc9p4ueebk just doesn't quite roll off the tongue...) It's just been registered with Nominet so it probably won't be functional for a day or two.

Also, if you find you use it a lot, you might want to consider adding it as a widget to your Google Homepage. There's a button on the bottom of the page to do so.

Cheers,

Dunc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles