Linn Owners

45 RPM Hercules

123abc

New Wammer
Aug 4, 2019
I have an old LP12 with the following UK specification...
  • Akito Tonearm
  • K9 Cartridge
  • Valhalla Power Supply
  • Afromosia Plinth
I would like to play 45 RPM records, but don't want the manual hassle of changing belts and adaptors/capstans.

The following Hercules power supply seems like a convenient alternative and comes with a simple 33/45 switch...

https://www.stamfordaudio.co.uk/product-page/hercules-gold-power-supply

Any disadvantages or other things to consider to 'upgrading' to this Hercules component? Is anything else needed?

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  • Akito Tonearm
  • K9 Cartridge
  • Valhalla Power Supply
  • Afromosia Plinth
I would like to play 45 RPM records, but don't want the manual hassle of changing belts and adaptors/capstans.

The following Hercules power supply seems like a convenient alternative and comes with a simple 33/45 switch...

Any disadvantages or other things to consider to 'upgrading' to this Hercules component? Is anything else needed?
The Hercules II is a good, relatively cheap solution. It is basically Valhalla clone with an additional oscillator for 45 RPM. It works well and my dealer friends feel it is not quite as good as a properly rebuilt Valhalla, but fairly close. I never did the comparison myself but I have installed several and they have all worked properly. They should come with all the necessary parts.

The downside to be aware of is that you can't use a Karousel bearing with either the Valhalla nor the Hercules II. If you were hoping to go to the Karousel in the future you might want to look somewhere else. You can also get the Hercules II in an external case where it is called the Mose. This gets around that limitation and also improves the performance. However, at that price you might want to consider a used Lingo 1. If this is properly rebuilt (a good idea considering the age of Lingo 1s) it will easily outperform the Mose musically. Darran at ClassA audio can take care of the Lingo 1 rebuild if you are on that side of the pond.

Reactions: 123abc

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  • Akito Tonearm
  • K9 Cartridge
  • Valhalla Power Supply
  • Afromosia Plinth

Long term certainly from what you suggest you might pick up a reasonably priced pre loved Lingo of some description it certainly a step in the right direction.(y)
Long established dealers might have something nearby.

Last edited:
  • Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

llatpoh

Wammer
Wammer
May 27, 2022
The Free State Of Texas, USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  • Akito Tonearm
  • K9 Cartridge
  • Valhalla Power Supply
  • Afromosia Plinth

The Vinyl Passion Revolution is everything Valhalla, Hercules and Lingo 1-3 ever wanted to be:

https://vinylpassion.ecwid.com/The-Vinyl-Passion-Revolution-Power-supply-p207858816

And it's fully compatible with Karousel.

Reactions: 123abc

John Hirsch

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
I have heard from Edmund (designer of Hercules and Mose) that he is living in the UK and is stepping away from Linn based projects. He did state that he had some stock remaining.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd heard he had moved to the UK (and there was a brief lapse in product deliveries during this time). But it would be a shame if his Mober subchassis and Hercules power supply were no longer available as an alternative to Linn products. I haven't seen him on Vinyl Engine or a couple of other fora he used to frequent for a while. Maybe his total product line Mose/Hercules, digital PS, subchassis, and platter/bearing) is just not making a viable income (?)

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It is also possible that the resources he used for manufacturing are all in Hong Kong and the logistics of production oversight and shipping to the UK, or of having them made locally, just aren't economically feasible/worthwhile.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles