Wammer
Wammer
May 3, 2013
oooh arrrrrr
AKA
Mnky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone got a spare 50hz light for adjusting turntable speed please?

Thanks!
Hi

I guess you have either a strobe disc or markings on your platter .....so ...all you need is an old fashioned pre eco light bulb ....stick it in a table lamp switch the lights off in the room and place it near the deck .....that should do the trick.

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Certainly be good enough. If you want more accuracy use a good inverter. I have one with an accuracy of 50HZ plus/minus 0.1Hz Mind you did not buy it just to check turntable speed!

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Douk Audio Record Player Strobe Light Turntable Stroboscopic Disc Speed Tester

c£30 on eBay

mnky

Wammer
Wammer
May 3, 2013
oooh arrrrrr
AKA
Mnky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
National Grid is obliged by its licence commitments to control the frequency within ±1% of 50Hz so it can fluctuate between 49.5Hz to 50.5Hz. However the normal operational limits are 49.8Hz to 50.2Hz.

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
National Grid is obliged by its licence commitments to control the frequency within ±1% of 50Hz so it can fluctuate between 49.5Hz to 50.5Hz. However the normal operational limits are 49.8Hz to 50.2Hz.
Possibly more accurate than the Nobsound light. In the past you could enter you address and get a real time reading of ones voltage and frequency not sure if still available.

bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
National Grid is obliged by its licence commitments to control the frequency within ±1% of 50Hz so it can fluctuate between 49.5Hz to 50.5Hz. However the normal operational limits are 49.8Hz to 50.2
Does this mean using a lamp with filament bulb might not work?

g8ina

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 26, 2019
Northampton UK
AKA
David W Harris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I see it, the problem with using a mains powered strobe is that as the mains freq changes, the motor speed could change at the same rate, so a mains operated strobe **may** always show as correct, on the other hand, a battery operated, crystal controlled, handheld strobe will always be exceptionally accurate, regardless of mains freq.... The eBay unit listed above is mine, just for clarity....

Reactions: I.D.S. and Nopiano

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I see it, the problem with using a mains powered strobe is that as the mains freq changes, the motor speed could change at the same rate, so a mains operated strobe **may** always show as correct, on the other hand, a battery operated, crystal controlled, handheld strobe will always be exceptionally accurate, regardless of mains freq.... The eBay unit listed above is mine, just for clarity....
But the beauty of mains power is it will show correctly, surely. No-one can hear 0.1% and I can’t think of many pitch-adjustable non-quartz decks.

However, yours looks like a bargain.

mnky

Wammer
Wammer
May 3, 2013
oooh arrrrrr
AKA
Mnky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I see it, the problem with using a mains powered strobe is that as the mains freq changes, the motor speed could change at the same rate, so a mains operated strobe **may** always show as correct, on the other hand, a battery operated, crystal controlled, handheld strobe will always be exceptionally accurate, regardless of mains freq.... The eBay unit listed above is mine, just for clarity...

Or the free app ....buying something to eat is my priority tbh ....🤔

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online