90+ sensitive standmounts??

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
793
1
0
Leeds UK, ,
Well, I left it too bloody late and the pair of loth-x BS1s I was after got sold.

Bah.

So now I need an equivalent pair of 90+ sensitive bookshelfs... preferably single driver (aka hens teeth) To be paired with a 10w digital amp

Budget is £400 - would prefer new

So far I'm leaning towards the audionote ax1 and ax2 .. see here::

http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/Loudspeakers1.html

anyone heard these? Or have any other suggestions??

ta!
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif


 
G

Guest

Guest
what about Kiangs horn speakers, he was looking to find a good home for them?

 

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
8,561
45
0
UK
nixon_fiend wrote:

Well, I left it too bloody late and the pair of loth-x BS1s I was after got sold.Bah.

So now I need an equivalent pair of 90+ sensitive bookshelfs... preferably single driver (aka hens teeth) To be paired with a 10w digital amp

Budget is £400 - would prefer new

So far I'm leaning towards the audionote ax1 and ax2 .. see here::

http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/Loudspeakers1.html

anyone heard these? Or have any other suggestions??

ta!
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
Nixon easy drive sensitive bookshelf speaker that are available around £400 are Castles Richmond 3is 88.5dB for 1w at 1m (£320 new) & Diapason Emera 89 dB/W/m (second hand ex-dem) both are nominal 8ohm drives. Cant help think the Richmond 3is are exactly what you are looking for, I use 2 sets around the house in bookshelf mode just now in 2nd & 3rd systems.

Anyway 2 to consider on your list :

http://www.castle.uk.com/pages/classic_richmond.htm

http://www.diapason-italia.com/eng/emera.htm

FWIW I love the sound of the big Audio Note speakers, never heard their little brethern you have linked too above, quite interesting little speakers. Glad to see Audio Note have put them into the arena at that price bracket.

 

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
793
1
0
Leeds UK, ,
Thanks CJR, I have owned 2 pairs of castles in my time, the durham 3s and the pembrokes..

A trait they both exhibited was a lack of 'openess' .. no air to the presentation.. HF felt squashed.. quite frustrating as I do like vocal music which didnt quite sound 'right'

but thanks for the suggestions!

 
G

Guest

Guest
I notice Nixn that one of the speaker kit companies makes a new standmount, with "similar" drivers to emotion (seas tweeter and ten inch mid/bass) comes in around your price, and will be effortless with your amp, comes in around your price with the xl tweeter(neither drivers are identical to emotions drivers, but good quality non the less)

they have speaker and xover kit, upgraded tweetert kit, and flat pack or fully built cabinets, price per pound will be hard to beat

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/acatalog/SpkrKits.html

 

hifikrazy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
1,083
6
0
, ,
AKA
Tim
The Monitor Audio S1 has a quoted sens of 90db as does its replacement the RS1. Quoted figures though can vary from reality for all manufacturers.

 

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
3,909
2
68
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Hmm from what little I remember of aperiodic design, you should always vent as far away from the driver as possible (ie the otherside of the box) because of phase issues.

Then again that would be true of TL's and they all throw the bass out the front.

 

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
793
1
0
Leeds UK, ,
Not keen on the new rega range, they fart bass pretty badly IMO

Loth-x went bust a couple of years back.. eminenet audio just sold their last pair under a month ago .. although offred me a pair last week - only to find none in the back
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif


 
E

earl of sodbury

Guest
nixon_fiend wrote:

Thanks CJR, I have owned 2 pairs of castles in my time, the durham 3s and the pembrokes..A trait they both exhibited was a lack of 'openess' .. no air to the presentation.. HF felt squashed.. quite frustrating as I do like vocal music which didnt quite sound 'right'

but thanks for the suggestions!
The new 3i are a serious improvement on their predecessors - be worth a demo if convenient.

Also excellent: Revolver R16 / RW16* (90 dB/W/M, 6 Ohm load) or the larger R33 / RW33*(89 dB/W/M,8 Ohm load)

* the finish differs

rw33.gif


£399-£499 for the 16 £499 - £599 for the 33, but I believe a revamped "i" version is imminent, and they had some very tasty offers at the last Heathrow show, so shop-around for a better price. Excellent speakers IMHO/IME

 
G

Guest

Guest
nixon_fiend wrote:

Not keen on the new rega range, they fart bass pretty badly IMOLoth-x went bust a couple of years back.. eminenet audio just sold their last pair under a month ago .. although offred me a pair last week - only to find none in the back
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif
that world designs kit will do bass like no other mentioned so far, and will also do quiet better than the rest, big driver effortless!!!

 

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
793
1
0
Leeds UK, ,
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I do appreciate it..

The assembled World design kit is about £565 .. so a bit too much for me - I'm not great at woodwork
tongue.png


revolvers look like an option but ugggerly
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif


 
G

Guest

Guest
nixon_fiend wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I do appreciate it..The assembled World design kit is about £565 .. so a bit too much for me - I'm not great at woodwork
tongue.png


revolvers look like an option but ugggerly
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
before deciding PM Julian 2002, he built an IPL kit, for little money, and he's crap at woodwork, but he reckons hsi speakers perform 10x the price he paid for them, seriously, the veneered kit box will not be much harder to build than a flatpack, will come pre cut and already veneered, understand if you don't wish to consider however, was just a leftfield suggestion,
biggrin.png


 

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
1,973
0
0
Norn Iron, , United
Triangle Titus esw

They've a 91db sensitivity & cost £370, under your price ceiling.

The Titus' have an exciting, involving sound & work very well with valves. Worth a listen anyway.

GofA

 

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
11,690
4
0
, ,
nixon_fiend wrote:

Well, I left it too bloody late and the pair of loth-x BS1s I was after got sold.Bah.

So now I need an equivalent pair of 90+ sensitive bookshelfs... preferably single driver (aka hens teeth) To be paired with a 10w digital amp

Budget is £400 - would prefer new

So far I'm leaning towards the audionote ax1 and ax2 .. see here::

http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/Loudspeakers1.html

anyone heard these? Or have any other suggestions??

ta!
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
will pm you an email address of a chap who might have a set
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif


 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
109,322
Messages
2,318,123
Members
69,456
Latest member
zlatan