A good read....These oldies perform way beyond expectation!

V

Voice_Coil

http://www.hifi-advice.com/Philips-CD-player-review.html

setup%20dec%2008%203%20racks%20van%20boven%20IMG_6716%20500pix.jpg

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still use my 13 year old Marantz CD-7 as a DAC and so I was interested to read about other old Marantz's like the CD94 mkI and mkII. I like the sound of my Marantz, and my philosophy with HiFi is "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Ditto with my Gyrodek that I've had for 30 years.

I'm going to hang on with the CD-7 for a bit, and try to get more out of it by tweaking my computer front end. I've bought a Bel Canto uLink to replace my Musical Fidelity V-Link and some tweaks for the BeagleBone Black computer I use as a transport like Stillpoints ERS to line the case, and some 3M EM shielding sheet to stick on the ICs. I'm interested in finding out whether the DAC or the transport of my old Marantz is the weakest link (or maybe the S/PDIF interface is the weakest like when using with a computer transport). I don't have any nostalgia or enthusiasm for compact disks or compact disk transports, and I personally would have been interested if the reviewer had included a high quality computer transport to compare with the Marantz CD12 transport section and the other golden oldie transports.

V

Voice_Coil

I still use my 13 year old Marantz CD-7 as a DAC and so I was interested to read about other old Marantz's like the CD94 mkI and mkII. I like the sound of my Marantz, and my philosophy with HiFi is "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Ditto with my Gyrodek that I've had for 30 years.I'm going to hang on with the CD-7 for a bit, and try to get more out of it by tweaking my computer front end. I've bought a Bel Canto uLink to replace my Musical Fidelity V-Link and some tweaks for the BeagleBone Black computer I use as a transport like Stillpoints ERS to line the case, and some 3M EM shielding sheet to stick on the ICs. I'm interested in finding out whether the DAC or the transport of my old Marantz is the weakest link (or maybe the S/PDIF interface is the weakest like when using with a computer transport). I don't have any nostalgia or enthusiasm for compact disks or compact disk transports, and I personally would have been interested if the reviewer had included a high quality computer transport to compare with the Marantz CD12 transport section and the other golden oldie transports.
computer audio is mental, there doesent seem to be a fit and forget solution....i said seem ! lol

i too have a soft spot for the older machines, especially the 85

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles