Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
roll_with_it, just to let you know that I posted by far the most sensible response to your deleted power cable thread.

My point was that most qualified scientists, NASA, the United Nations etc. etc. will no doubt tell you that power cables do not improve the sound of audio equipment.

Only a handful of audiophiles will tell you they do (and offer no proof).

What I would say is that you must first decide who you are going to trust before considering buying 'hi-fi' power cables (which are just bits of wire that somebody claims sounds better, they are not 'hi-fi' cables at all).

Are you going to trust NASA or an audiophile?

If you decide to trust NASA and clever scientists then there is no need to buy power cables and no need to worry about which one to buy.

If you decide to trust the audiophiles then I cannot really help you decide which cable to buy (but the cheap Eupen one might be worth a look).

To help you make up your mind, please consider that NASA flies missions to space whilst (some) audiophiles claim that sticky dots on your windows makes your hi-fi sound much better.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They also hire warehouses out in the desert and pretend they are on the moon.

Conspiracy theories - like mains cables, are just so much fun.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If NASA are so bloody clever, how come they haven't noticed all those pesky Aliens whizzing about meddling with our cables? Eh? :Not Sure:

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
NASA have also invested serious effort in researching weird things like para-psychology etc. - see http://www.totse.com/en/conspiracy/mind_control/163630.html (a NASA report is available somewhere, released under the Freedom of INformation act, but can't be bothered to dig it up...) I'm sure if Nasa thought that the Russians/the terrorists/the Chinese were investigating 'magic' cables, they'd have done the same as well
wink.png
Still doesn't mean they'd work, though....

lilolee

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2005
Maidenhead, Berkshir
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
notaclue wrote:

My point was that most qualified scientists, NASA, the United Nations etc. etc. will no doubt tell you that power cables do not improve the sound of audio equipment.
So if it is only most, that means there are some who will no doubt tell you that power cables do improve the sound of audio equipment.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The other thing roll_with_it can try is get in touch with Kiang and ask to join the 'great cable debate' - I'm sure it's not too late and then he can do a blind test and actually see if he hears an difference.

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe a handfulmight say they work. I would estimate about 0.01% of the total number of clever scientists might say so.

However, in saying so, they would then become unscientific. Who needs an unscientific scientist?

So, no, all scientists will say they don'treally sound better.Those who say they do aren't scientists.

lilolee

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2005
Maidenhead, Berkshir
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
notaclue wrote:

Maybe a handfulmight say they work. I would estimate about 0.01% of the total number of clever scientists might say so.However, in saying so, they would then become unscientific. Who needs an unscientific scientist?

So, no, all scientists will say they don'treally sound better.Those who say they do aren't scientists.
So you have no actual proof of this
wink.png

P

purplepleaser

If Nasa scientists did the experiments and found that cables made no difference.Do you really believe that people would stop making them,people would stop buying them. NO they wouldn't.

Look at the clever scientists that said salt was bad for you then said well actually its not that bad after all.

Why people keep going on about the same old crap is beyond me. If you don't believe or can not hear a difference why post in the first place.

Its funny that people can choose makes of kit over another because it sounded better, is this proved by Nasa scientists, No.

I have said that my Sugden is better than other makes because it sounds better to me.This would be the case if i was cable buying.Same as everyone else.

People post on here for advice not some conspiricy theory,scientists view but actual real life experience.

Reading some things on here makes me wonder, how long it takes people to check if its safe to cross the road.Yes its safe,no its not, i want proof its safe.

Yes this forum is for everyones ideas but when people just can't,won't try something without scientific prove well that just sad,narrow minded self importance.

Cables work for some and don't for others.But you have to try them first.
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif

Lee

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lee,

well said - experience is everything and the proof is whether or not YOU as a listener hear anything and think the improvement justifies the cost.

The only person roll_with_it can trust is himself, he can take on board peoples opinions but the fact he has asked the query in the first place suggests he is thinking about it - and there's only one way to find out.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I posted that putting cheese on top of my amp massively improved the sound, and waxed lyrical about the sharper sound that cornish blue gives compared to stilton, are you really saying that no-one else should comment/take the piss
wink.png
The fact that I might hear something make a difference doesn't mean it's not a daft thing to do...

People should of course try different cables etc. if they want to do so. However, surely there needs to be some reason for trying some things and not others - if not, who'll try my cheese tweak
wink.png

Jon

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
jon wrote:

If I posted that putting cheese on top of my amp massively improved the sound, and waxed lyrical about the sharper sound that cornish blue gives compared to stilton, are you really saying that no-one else should comment/take the piss
wink.png
The fact that I might hear something make a difference doesn't mean it's not a daft thing to do...People should of course try different cables etc. if they want to do so. However, surely there needs to be some reason for trying some things and not others - if not, who'll try my cheese tweak
wink.png

Jon
mmmmm, grilled cheese amp
yahoo.gif.427f12e83b189951e0b3a226f4b02209.gif

G

jon wrote:

wink.png
The fact that I might hear something make a difference doesn't mean it's not a daft thing to do...People should of course try different cables etc. if they want to do so. However, surely there needs to be some reason for trying some things and not others - if not, who'll try my cheese tweak
wink.png

Jon
your idea has merits, but the cheese would still be messy, and if you had pets they would most likely eat it, besides you allways want melted cheese on toast, and thats plainly been proven to give you a fat belly.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
jon wrote:

mmmmm, grilled cheese amp
yahoo.gif.427f12e83b189951e0b3a226f4b02209.gif
Mine doesn't get hot enough
sad.png
A friend of mine used to work for B&W and was put in the department that made/looked after the old Aura amps/tuners. He told me once that the best thing about the amp was that you could fry eggs, grill cheese and even toast bread with it - that's how hot it got.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
analoguekid wrote:

jon wrote:
wink.png
wink.png

Jon
your idea has merits, but the cheese would still be messy, and if you had pets they would most likely eat it, besides you allways want melted cheese on toast, and thats plainly been proven to give you a fat belly.
But does the fat belly help with bass absorption ?

G

griffo104 wrote:

analoguekid wrote:
jon wrote:
wink.png
wink.png

Jon
But does the fat belly help with bass absorption ?
might add to bloat and resonance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles