jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Come on now! you know you want it!:bounce:(heard that somewhere before?)

Where did it all begin,? well this was the first Hifi,for me it started with my first "Record Player" a Dansette Trent Stereophonic and here is a photo of a similar one below.

Thefirst album I bought, The Beach Boys 20/20, (circa 1969), I still have it in my collection, looking as good as the first day I bought it. Followed this with Surfer Girl (released 1963 - bought 1969)

This was the first cassette, Born to Be by Melanie (circa 1968), yes 39 years ago and she is still touring the UK in 2007.

This was the first Laserdisc. (circa 1984) Alchemy by Dire Straits - saw them live in sheffield in 1991 On Every Street tour) Laserdiscs - great idea sadly missed.

Dire-Straits-Alchemy--Live-242957.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...174&s=music&qid=1184183014&sr=1-1

This was the first CD,(circa 1995), August by Eric Clapton. Still play it occasionally as it still rocks. Managed to wangle 5 free cds with 1st Technics CD PLayer.

41V0TCZ9PWL._AA240_.jpg

This was the first and only Pre-recorded Minidisc.(circa 1999) These died a sad death like laser disc, like looking for rocking horse shite! and yes I still have them all in my collection!

Cant remember my first single, only had about 20. Didnt have any 8-track tapes or cylinders, sorry.
tongue.png

The point of this thread, to show others where it all started for you. I think it should only counts if you still have your original 1st LP/CD/etc. albums in your collection. :nerd:Take your time, dont rush it!
sleep_1.gif.141171e622ad3ffb8aa5d2f229bd921a.gif

XJC

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2007
over 55 degrees North
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was first exposed to my sisters beatles 45s on something similar to your Dansette circa 1969. It was only a few years later when I much preferred my brothers collection which included:

Deep Purple - Fireball

Alice cooper - Killer

Led Zep - IV

Contrary to this though my first purchases were:

45: David bowie - Space Oddity

LP: Elton John - Greatest Hits Vol II

114278.jpg

Cas: Richard Hell & the voidoids - Funhunt

CD: Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide

peggysuicide.jpg

Still got all these and no other formats are in my collection.

Ahhh! the memories.

X.

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
hounslowdave wrote:

render.php
Sailor by the Steve Miller Band in about 1970, I think. Vinyl, of course.
I'm sure I've met his son;-)

David%20Miliband%202%20160.jpg

David Miliband:minikiev:

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My first album that I bought was on cassette - This Is Big Audio Dynamite bought from Our Price in Redditch with the money I got paid for packing and unpacking a market stall.

Played this album to death and it sent me in to a quite odsessive disorder with The Clash, which still exists today,when I found out where Mick Jones originally came from. The cassette died a long time ago, now enjoy it on vinyl.

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
For me it started when I was about 5 when my Mum gave her Bush Record player. It was very like this one:

[align=center]
Bush%20SRP31.JPG
[/align]

[align=left]She also gave me a bunch of her old singles, EPs and a couple of LPs. It was the EPs I remember best mainly I think because of the picture sleeves (sadly long since lost - except the Shads EP for some reason), but a trawl through eBay and I remember those EP sleeves like it was yesterday.[/align]

[align=left]Those that spring immediately to mind and were special favourites of the 5 year old Unc were these ones:

littlerichard.jpg
[/align]

[align=left]
buddy.jpg
[/align]

[align=left]
shads.jpg
[/align]

[align=left]I particularly liked playing records at the wrong speed to see what they would sound like. I was fascinated that a 45 Little Richard (and if I ever see that EP I'm buying it straight off its a classic) played at 78 sounded remarkably like a rockin version of this:[/align]

[align=left]
pinky.jpg
[/align]

[align=left]Which sadly diminishes the rock and roll coolness factor as it was the first record I actually chose for myself :roll:and now belongs to my niece.[/align]

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
ob1971 wrote:

Uncle, you showing your age
tongue.png
Well I wouldn't want to mislead. I was 5 at the time. It was 1972 or there abouts, these weren't new records, so you can work it out
smile.png
Old but not that old. They were just the records I had. I didn't distinguish between say Little Richard and Pinky and Perky because I thought they were both great. Tell you what though I didn't like Jim Reeves.

hounslowdave

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2006
Hounslow, , United K
jkbmusic wrote:

hounslowdave wrote:
render.php
Sailor by the Steve Miller Band in about 1970, I think. Vinyl, of course.
I'm sure I've met his son;-)

David%20Miliband%202%20160.jpg

David Miliband:minikiev:
Letter in today's Guardian:

David Miliband is a joker. I prefer the Steve Miller Band.

Max Bell

Thame, Oxfordshire

Great minds think alike. Or something.....
smile.png

Wonder if he's the Max Bell who used to write for NME when I was a lad

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At 8 years...

Mud - Tiger Feet

Suzi Quatro - Dibbledy Drive

At 12 years...

Boney M - Borwn girl LP

Grease - LP

then sanity returned at 12-13 years...

The Clash - The Clash

The Jam - All mod cons

The Buzzcocks - Love Bites

Nostalgia!

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
Headcoat wrote:

At 8 years......

Suzi Quatro - Dibbledy Drive

:lmao:Excellent, I had a bit of a crush on Suzi as a littlun ... I suspect my Dad did as well. But presumably "Dibbledy Drive" is what your 8 year old self thought it was called. It would be quite funny if you still thought that mind
smile.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online