emale

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 21, 2006
The DSOTM.
AKA
Dave
Good evening chaps,

I've been thinking of changing amps to a big solid state to try out with my new Dynaudios and have got chance to purchase a Krell KAV 300i for a fairly reasonable price.

The Krell has been described as being a later model with the revised power supply in the midde and a manufacture date of 2002.

Were Krell still making the 300i in 2002 and did they redesign the unit internally moving the pwoer supply or something?

Many thanks.

Dave

Ps: I know everyone will say go for a 400i but I cannot afford it as the other half has told me that we are not spending any more on thigns with plugs, so I have to make do on the budget I'll get from selling my pathos.

harv

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess

curtis

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2005
Herts, , United King
Hi emale,

Just beware the Krell will sound completely different from the Patho's.

You wont have as deep a soundstage and the sound will be harder/drier but with more PRAT/Speed/tempo and voices will lack the warth you are used to

Also the 300 isnt as sweet at the top as the 400xi so will sound more strident.

If this is the sort of change you are loooking for and vice like grip over your speakers then its worth a go.

HTH's

Curtis

U

Umberto

I have heard the 400xi and it is a nice sounding amp but quite dry (quite the opposite to valves). If you can get anaudition then do so.

M

Mr Coherent

IMO I would save for the 400 its a much better amp all round (very un Krell like), though in the states they did a 500 version too.

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
Umberto Vanni wrote:

I have heard the 400xi and it is a nice sounding amp but quite dry (quite the opposite to valves). If you can get anaudition then do so.
agree

well here goes - what about a naim:nerves:,

No really.

curtis

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2005
Herts, , United King
Mr Coherent wrote:

IMO I would save for the 400 its a much better amp all round (very un Krell like), though in the states they did a 500 version too.
I do agree here the 400xi is a cracker and different to the normal Krell sound

Curtis

contour

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2006
, , Netherlands
Are you bored with your wife then Emale?
wink.png

Kav300i is certainly worth a try imo but all depends on how mutch they wan't for it. They do run pretty hot though and are fairly odd sized so won't fit in any rack. Still think it will give you more reason to get up and dance with the Dyns then the Pathos does.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
There are 400xi's around for c£1500; last 300 I saw advertised was more, `cos, IIRC, it was more expensive than the 400 to start with (no doubt someone will put me right).

As already stated, it will be a significant difference to the Pathos (having heard my 400 against a Prima luna recently).

Not sure I agree with comment about less deep soundstage, `cos mine seems to do a pretty good job of that with baby ProAcs, but I've not heard a Pathos in ages, so...

If you want grip, control, excellent bass, smooth extended treble& plenty of speed & PRaT, look no further.

Boxer

curtis

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2005
Herts, , United King
boxer wrote:

There are 400xi's around for c£1500; last 300 I saw advertised was more, `cos, IIRC, it was more expensive than the 400 to start with (no doubt someone will put me right).As already stated, it will be a significant difference to the Pathos (having heard my 400 against a Prima luna recently).

Not sure I agree with comment about less deep soundstage, `cos mine seems to do a pretty good job of that with baby ProAcs, but I've not heard a Pathos in ages, so...

Boxer
Boxer the Pathos will have a more 3 dimensional soundstage which is why it doesnt PRAT half as well.

They seem to project images so lose the fluency of the music

Well thats what i find

If you want grip, control, excellent bass, smooth extended treble& plenty of speed & PRaT, look no further.

All true

Curtis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Creedy