A rega (nearly) system

dzeikei

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 18, 2008
Hellsinki
dzeikei- when you pop back to have a look how the saturn is settling in how about a run down on the ios, as I am considering one for my system next year sometime.
Colin - at the moment my system in boxed in a warehouse due to repairs at my new apartment. Hopefully can set it up next month in my new house.

It seems that the Ios is not a perfect match with my current AT33PTG cart so there's no point to write as the sound is not what I was hoping for. I intend to buy the Apheta sometime this year hopefully. A guy here from local board has P9/Ios/Apheta and he's really pleased to the sounds his kit is making so I'm quite confident it is the way to go.

Will write up something after getting the cart changed ;) .

Sobryma

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2006
Lincs
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
e.let her chuckle, it took mine a little while to settle in- If I had not heard a run in one I would have been a little, err apprehensive, especially after the Planet.
Sounded weird last night (48 hours running in) really had me wondering, tonight seems to be settling down - I'm going to leave running for a week or ten days as experience with Exposures made me realise how long it can take kit to bed in.

Sobryma

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2006
Lincs
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well - as warned by Colin this beast does take an AGE to come on song, finally seems settled this week - after running for 300-400 hours. I'll post a review soon.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
3-400 hours :shock:

That is nearly 3 months listening (20 hours a week on average) in my house. My Saturn was up and running a damn sight sharper than that, it would have been back in the shop if it was sounding crap after 20 hours (and I never leave things permanently plugged in).

Your ears will adjust to anything a lot quicker than that, what can possibly change say between fifty hours and three hundred?

Sorry Steve, I don't get that at all, nor do I think would Rega.

Don't get me wrong I still really like the Saturn and after 4 years it it is still in my system, but ........

Sobryma

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2006
Lincs
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes it does seem weird. Not sure if burn in is simply your ears adjusting or what...(to be fair was new unit). Out of box it sounded bright, thin and not very well hung together.

I left it on repeat for 10 days (obviously not listening 24/7 though#) - then been run maybe 30 hours a week. it only seems to have settled this week BUT caveat is kit has been unplugged for 3-4 days for decoration and is now reorganized and moved....so maybe that has had an impact or the break has made me sit up.

Quite possibly could be me :dunno: - it seemed to take a couple of months for me to get my head around Exposures amps (effectively new) although the XXII CDP was up and running within a week or so.

#Just re-worked the math its a ~100 hours of listening - ~300 powered up/playing.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes it does seem weird. Not sure if burn in is simply your ears adjusting or what...(to be fair was new unit). Out of box it sounded bright, thin and not very well hung together.I left it on repeat for 10 days (obviously not listening 24/7 though#) - then been run maybe 30 hours a week. it only seems to have settled this week BUT caveat is kit has been unplugged for 3-4 days for decoration and is now reorganized and moved....so maybe that has had an impact or the break has made me sit up.

Quite possibly could be me :dunno: - it seemed to take a couple of months for me to get my head around Exposures amps (effectively new) although the XXII CDP was up and running within a week or so.

#Just re-worked the math its a ~100 hours of listening - ~300 powered up/playing.
that should be it, I had something similar, but its in its stride in track or so now.

Sobryma

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2006
Lincs
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It really is an excellent player - neutral but not dull, seems to be able to play all genre without favour. I will post a more lengthy view later.

G

Surely any kit that needs 300 hours of play before it sounds right - or 100 hours of ears getting used to living with it - can't be quite right, either there's somethng wrong with how it was built, or it's a poor design!

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Surely any kit that needs 300 hours of play before it sounds right - or 100 hours of ears getting used to living with it - can't be quite right, either there's somethng wrong with how it was built, or it's a poor design!
I don't think having to wait a little makes hifi bad, it just encourages patience. And while I don't like all things Rega, I know they don't do bad design.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's not a bad design at all. I bought mine used from another Wammer who has also contributed to this thread so I can't really comment on the burn-in time. It certainly sounded pretty good 'out of the box'. I had my Saturn for about a year and can say it's a very well balanced, musical and civilised sounding player. It is transparent without being overtly detailed and 'shouty' and it is very well built - especially compared with it's baby brother the Apollo. The top-loading mech is a bit of a pain if, like me, you prefer a drawer (or you don't have the space)...

Before I had the Saturn I had an Apollo and before that a Copland CDA823, a Naim CD5x, a Naim CD5i and a Unison Research Unico. Subsequent players have included a Cambridge Audio 840C and my current Meridian G06. I'd put the Saturn in the top three for sure. :^

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh yes, I have also owned an Exposure XXII cd player and couldn't really get on with it. Bass was good but overall it lacked detail and it sounded a bit too warm and soft for me. I think the Saturn is quite a bit better...

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just saw this thread accidentally bumped.

Didn't get round many rooms at Scalfold (7 actually) but for absolute sonic chilled out bliss, Colin's system was / is - Hi-Fi heaven.

Just watching the needle sitting on the spinning vinyl and the glourious end product coming from the Spendors , what else can I say, you just had to be there.

stevied

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 7, 2006
Ormskirk
AKA
Guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just saw this thread accidentally bumped.Didn't get round many rooms at Scalfold (7 actually) but for absolute sonic chilled out bliss, Colin's system was / is - Hi-Fi heaven.

Just watching the needle sitting on the spinning vinyl and the glourious end product coming from the Spendors , what else can I say, you just had to be there.

I must admit that only recently obtaining a Rega Saturn I think "Mr TeL" raving about it somewere swayed me :)

It is also the first Rega Product i have ever owned and must admit i didnt think it would be as good as it is,

Makes me wonder what that P9 Turntable is like. :^

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Happy Birthday Dudy! :flowers:

Have a good one. No doubt you're going to tuck into a superfish to celebrate your still being on the right side of 60. :D

Nice revisiting your updated Rega thread. I have the Elicit amp on the demo list middle of this year. Your finger always seems to be on the pulse of the latest Rega happenings, so if you hear somewhere that the Elicit is due to have a mk II replacement or somewhat, please update us here. :)

cheerSS

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Trivial pursuit entry for the Tent's default rega thread. :D

Chanced across this site for a Chinese dealer. It seems that Rega is marketed in chinese markets by a chinese name that isn't a mandarin phonetization of 'Rega'. Instead, Rega is 'Jun-zi' in these markets --- 'Prince'! (under that pic of the old Brio amp, the 3rd and 4th chinese letters following the Rega word are 'Jun-zi', denoting 'Prince'). Did Lord Gandy chose this chinese name for Rega, or did he leave it to the chinese distributor to pick something fancy? :p

Even quainter are the names for three old Rega amps, Brio, Elex and Elicit, see brackets. Brio is 'Ai-mei' (love-beauty), so Rega Brio is Prince-love-beauty --- Junzi-ai-mei --- in conversational idiom, it actually means ---'The Vain Prince' :rofl:

The Elex is (Ai-Li) - 'Love-Prettiness', so Rega Elex 'Jun-zi Ai-Li' is 'The Prince Love Prettiness', practically 'The Lecherous Prince' in chinese speak. :doh:

Elicit is (Ai-Shi) - 'Love-Poem', so Rega Elicit 'Jun-zi Ai-Shi' is 'The Prince Who Loves Poetry'. At least it's isn't as silly as the Brio and Elex, phew. :D

SS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles