A Tale of Two Tannoys

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Steve, why don't you accept that you plucked the comment about the A30 out of your ass and move on?

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
I take it your "bullsit detector" is able only to ask rhetorical questions.
Whatever. Clearly you can't back up your statement and would rather argue semantics in the hope of diverting attention from your dubious claims.

You're making yourself look daft now.

Steve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 18, 2005
Staffordshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whatever. Clearly you can't back up your statement and would rather argue semantics in the hope of diverting attention from your dubious claims.You're making yourself look daft now.
What makes you think that the modifications could not have enabled the amp to deliver more current?

This is surely far more interesting as it gives you the opportunity to play to your strengths in terms of technological knowledge.

Subjectively the amp had more "guts" post-modification. It also had more power.

Steve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 18, 2005
Staffordshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My electronic engineering degree.
What was it that you learnt during your undergraduate studies that leads you to believe that the mods could not have delivered more current?

It is not enough to say "I have a degree, I am therefore an expert."

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
What was it that you learnt during your undergraduate studies that leads you to believe that the mods could not have delivered more current?
About electronics, duh. You know, Ohm's law, circuit analysis, amplifier design and all that stuff.

It is not enough to say "I have a degree, I am therefore an expert."
For your purpose, it will have to suffice, I might as well try and explain it to a cat. I don't particularly feel I have to justify myself to you.

As you're so fond of pointing out, the onus is on the one making the claim to back it up. Please do so without further waffle and hand waving.

• Upvote
Reactions: Vinyl Art
P

Pac67

It's interesting that Tannoy offer the Super Tweeter as an upgrade ?I have the Turnbery's and agree that the treble response is a little less extended and not as clean as other speakers can be.

My Harbeth's have a better top end .

I think the differences l are more apparent through Vinyl than CD , due to Vinyl's extended top end.

I enjoy both speakers and soon stop hearing the differences when the music starts.Thats the key to a good Musical System,one that's carefully put together,though it's quite hard as there are a lot of hard bright ,forward sounding pieces of equipment out there !
I've had the SHL5's too and agree that they were seemingly more extended but to my ears, ultimately not as smooth as the Turnberrys I now have. In fact I found the SHL5's to be a little beamy and harsh in the treble (don't know if that was the super tweeter or the treble unit but they weren't the most refined in the treble). You're right though, as with both speakers, once the music starts, you can just sink into the music and enjoy. The Tannoys do have some good treble detail and after listening now for quite some time, I won't be investing in super-tweeters as I don't believe that augmenting the treble (as there is an overlap at audible frequencies which boosts audible treble response) will be desirable and of any benefit. On the amp now doing duty, they seem remarkably well balanced, more so in fact than the SHL5's did but with the added benefit of genuinely well extended and taut bass, something where I found the SHL5s lacking.

Steve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 18, 2005
Staffordshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This will not end well :pop:
If I had believed/known that my claim was in any way extraordinary I would have sought the requisite extraordinary evidence. I am no expert in these matters. I was, however, the paying customer pleased with the results and I found that the amp, post-modification, seemed to exert more authority over speakers. It seemed to have more 'guts.'

We can argue all day long over who is making the more extraordinary claim, Pete or me, with the 'winner' (or is it loser?) being required to provide the extraordinary evidence.

Pete, given his stated background should have no difficulty whatsoever in backing up his claim that the modifications would have done very little, if anything, to increase the amount of current that the amp supplied to the speakers.

It is unfortunately common, although perhaps with good reason in the hi-fi industry that the experts, like Pete and Anthony are reluctant to share their knowledge.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having fun toying with him. :minikev:
Why?

Steve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 18, 2005
Staffordshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
About electronics, duh. You know, Ohm's law, circuit analysis, amplifier design and all that stuff.For your purpose, it will have to suffice, I might as well try and explain it to a cat. I don't particularly feel I have to justify myself to you.

As you're so fond of pointing out, the onus is on the one making the claim to back it up. Please do so without further waffle and hand waving.
Patronising.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
It is unfortunately common, although perhaps with good reason in the hi-fi industry that the experts, like Pete and Anthony are reluctant to share their knowledge.
Wow, you're on a roll now.

AGrail

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 15, 2009
Devon
WatchingWithCaution.gif

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
If I had believed/known that my claim was in any way extraordinary I would have sought the requisite extraordinary evidence. I am no expert in these matters. I was, however, the paying customer pleased with the results and I found that the amp, post-modification, seemed to exert more authority over speakers. It seemed to have more 'guts.'
"I'm not an expert, yet I still feel the need to pontificate on these matters" The above is an entirely subjective opinion, so where does the assertion of more current delivery come from? That's an objective claim. Or does 2+2=5?

We can argue all day long over who is making the more extraordinary claim, Pete or me, with the 'winner' (or is it loser?) being required to provide the extraordinary evidence.
More handwaving and mis-direction. :roll:

Pete, given his stated background should have no difficulty whatsoever in backing up his claim that the modifications would have done very little, if anything, to increase the amount of current that the amp supplied to the speakers.
Rubbish. Explaining technical matters in layman's terms is not easy, that's a skill I don't posess, I'm no teacher. However, in simple terms: No substantive changes are made to the output stage, retaining the original topology and the output transformer. Changing the tube type is a red-herring, KT88 and 6550 are so similar as to make little difference. The changes to bias current will have a marginal effect.

Probably because it results in the kind of thing above.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles