Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back in ancient history, I went scouting for some new speakers. So armed, I went to my local HiFi ship in Bedford (before they went mainstream) and heard some cracking Acoustic Energy AE5's. Very obscure.... fast, epic midrange and so sweet.

Sure, they cost a bob or 2 but I loved 'em. I couldn't afford them and moved my attentions to the AE520's - again a little off the beaten track, but sort of "mini" AE5's. I didn't buy those either but I was very tempted.

I'd love to hear them again (the 5's).. but I've never even seen them and have only my rose tinted spectacles and the warm glow of the past to keep my thoughts alive.

Anyone here got them ? Heard them recently ? Looking to sell ?

AUIOOA-1365163448OGLAS.jpg

Reactions: Dave Decadent

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now thats a question... I cannot even recall what I heard them with. Yes, the AE1's are also special and the DNA is identical.

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow! now that's a rare pair of speakers.

Old thread I know sorry, but just a pleasure to see a set of these. Acoustic Energy AE#'s have always been a desirable speaker of mine since I first glanced at them through audio excellence's window around 25 years ago. About 15 years later I owned a set of AE1's on dedicated stands which I never really got to hear to their full potential. But this was probably due to the rest of my system (well at least not sounding anywhere near as magical as the reviewers made them out to be). The guy I bought them off did demo them to me on valves and they sounded amazing, but for me the 1's were just good at times but not so good / awful most of it.

Had the pleasure of hearing 'bandit pilot's AE2s briefly at Salford this year which was a real treat for me, as I'd never had the chance of listening to a set before. They sounded good on the short time I was there, and he was only using around 18watts valve amplification on them.

itskeith

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2012
Nottingham
Agreed:

Had the pleasure of hearing 'bandit pilot's AE2s briefly at Salford this year which was a real treat for me, as I'd never had the chance of listening to a set before.

One of my favourites of the whole show :^

Neilb

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2007
Selhurst, Croydon,
AKA
Neil
Be very interested to see if any of these pop up. I remember these being around when I bought My AE109's about 20 years ago (jesus!). Always loved AE of this era. AE2's are awesome things also I agree.

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes it was really good to see a set of AE2's playing at Scalford and was one of the highlights of the show for me. I always thought the AE original series were a difficult load but they sounded pretty good with 18watts there. Bandit pilot mentioned he had a seriously BIG power amp at home aswell, but it was a back breaker and not the easiest to cart about.

I agree with you about this AE era Neil they just looked serious. I really liked the 109's they are a quality budget floorstander, even by todays standards they are hard to beat. If you look around you can get a absolute bargain with the 109s or 120s now. They need a fair bit of space but give them this and they are excellent, they play loud with plenty of quality tight bass and lots of finesse, and get better with good equipment. The AE100s were ok as well (and look cool) but even though they shared the same drivers they were no where near the same speaker as the floorstanders, 109's are a totally different animal, miles better!

d_a_n1979

Bigger than you
Wammer
Nov 10, 2007
Lost; in Lancashire
AKA
Dan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As above and totally agree

I've seen the 109's go for around £50-£100 on eBay (dare I use that word); but if they've been looked after, they're a massive amount of speaker for the £££. As are the 120's, but they crop up less frequently!

The AE109's were my very first floorstanding speakers; had them with an Arcam Alpha 6 amp and CD player and absolutely loved them!

There's a pair local to me currently and I'm very tempted by them, but they'd probably be wasted by being used quietly!

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could be right Dan, playing quietly wasn't the 109's strong point. They are ok but it was when you turned them up a bit or really started driving them they came to life more, but they do need that space (IMO). Still they are always a good buy if you can get some cheap locally.

A very classy looking speaker, with some nice finishes. I had a beech set which looked good, but they are one speaker that looked great in all the colours. The newer ones even had real wood veneers, I think.

d_a_n1979

Bigger than you
Wammer
Nov 10, 2007
Lost; in Lancashire
AKA
Dan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very true!

I had the black ash ones and then a few sets of the rosewood... Had the 120's too bi-wired with an Arcam Alpha 10/10P and my god; they shook the whole house! Thank god we were in a detached at that time haha

But alas, we're in a semi now, so playing loud isn't an option (well, until they go away, which is frequently seeing as they're retired)!

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had the 120's too bi-wired with an Arcam Alpha 10/10P and my god; they shook the whole house!
Awesome ! I would have love to have heard those 120's with those amps, I was going to suggest an alpha 10 with them, nice amp.

I'm pretty sure I had a set of rosewood 109s for a spell also, but they look sleek whatever the finish, black are really cool as well.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I love the AE2s, I had a pair a while back and they were excellent, really miss them! Only heard Rick's breifly at Scalford but they were excellent once again, maybe one to revisit at some point, love the look of them in Rosewood.

Never seen a pair of AE4s either :rockin:

Acoustic-Energy-AE4-hangfal_big.jpg

Or the current Reference 2s that Paul (Evoaudio) does :love:

acoustic-energy-reference-2-lifestyle.jpg

http://www.av-online.hu/hangfal/acoustic-energy---egy-angol-tortenet_1562/2

Reactions: Dave Decadent

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The AE 520's have same units as the AE5's (and 1's if I recall) and whilst looking similar to the 120's are different. Once again, I'd be interested in a set of AE 520's if you have a pair to sell !

Neilb

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2007
Selhurst, Croydon,
AKA
Neil
AE4's ....!!? I never even knew those ever existed. Something very 'Spinal Tap' about those. With the original AE1's and 2's I loved those dedicated pillar stands. They really were part of the whole look and package weren't they. Very iconic. Completely agree about AE 109s. Bombproof really and ludicrously good value. Sold mine for 80quid a few years back. Daft really.

Ah there you go good timing. You literally posted a picture of the stands I meant while I was writing this.

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Completely agree about AE 109s. Bombproof really and ludicrously good value. Sold mine for 80quid a few years back. Daft really.
But you have moved on I see Neil :) the 109's will always be great value and ok if you got a decent size spare room to stick a pair of speakers in, but those proac's you have there now are hard speakers to beat at any cost! at least for me.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've seen a handful of AE4s about but the really rare ones seem to be the original AE3s. I remember really liking these in their day but have only ever seen one pair for sale.

As an aside, you can count me into the AE120 fan club - I lived with a pair for a couple of years and thought they were excellent speakers.

Neilb

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2007
Selhurst, Croydon,
AKA
Neil
But you have moved on I see Neil :) the 109's will always be great value and ok if you got a decent size spare room to stick a pair of speakers in, but those proac's you have there now are hard speakers to beat at any cost! at least for me.
Yes The ProAcs are outstanding. Difficult to define what they do brilliantly, but they make great music and I love the look of them too. And are just the right size to give you scale without being too huge. They really are a pillar of my system and, for the money at least, I've never really been tempted to change them. However.....some AE5's would be nice to try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online