Wammer
May 17, 2013
Paisley
AKA
Allan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi again

I feel a bit guilty asking so many questions. I have been on forum for only 2 weeks and I'm fast approaching 100 posts. Although I do a lot of independent research, the people on this site seem to give the best and most helpful advice, so please forget the fact that I am asking for yet further advice.

I am awaiting the delivery of my second hand Project Debut III (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281115362226?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) and I have been researching how to properly set the turntable up - I don't see the point of buying a nice piece of equipment then not setting it up correctly. From my research I have discovered the following process:

1. remove traveling screws from motor
  2. attach drive belt to motor and sub-platter
  3. attach tone arm/cart and counter weight
  4. free tone arm from stand and adjust counter weight to the point where the arm floats (balancing point)
  5. return tone arm to stand and adjust dial on counter weight (This is an area I need advice on)
  6. attach anti-skate (wee dangling weight - not sure what it does)
  7. attach platter and slip mat
  8. use turntable

My questions are:

1. what number should I set the dial to on the counter weight?
  2. What does the anti-skate do (have contacted eBay seller to find out if it's included, as I don't see it in the picture he has taken)?

Cheers, and once again, sorry for asking so many questions. Hopefully as I learn more I will be able to contribute more to the forum.

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
Alan Hi. you will need a cartridge balance or some electronic cartridge scales to set the tracking force, anti skate you will have to experiment but is is generally around two third of the tracking force.

You are looking for the cantilever to be nice and upright in the groove, not being dragged to one side when the record is playing.

There might well be a You Tube showing set up with your tonearm.

Keith.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles