xyloxt

New Wammer
Oct 22, 2022
Lincolnshire
AKA
Burson Audio Play
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thinking of dusting my soldering off again.

Anyone have any experience with these? I have read about these a fair bit online, but was after some wam experience too.

I was thinking of the 180watt UcD180HG with HxR, which should be plenty of grunt for my Tannoys. Still not decided between using a transformer and one of their regulated supplies or using the switch mode power suppply.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can dust the soldering iron off but you shouldn’t need it too much. Go with the switched mode supply that Hypex provide. The supplies are really excellent and provide all the power the unit needs while being as efficient as you’d expect a modern product to be. Soldering will only be input/output terminals and mains power.

Reactions: Tony_J

xyloxt

New Wammer
Oct 22, 2022
Lincolnshire
AKA
Burson Audio Play
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can dust the soldering iron off but you shouldn’t need it too much. Go with the switched mode supply that Hypex provide. The supplies are really excellent and provide all the power the unit needs while being as efficient as you’d expect a modern product to be. Soldering will only be input/output terminals and mains power.
Thanks so much

Alex 54

Techie with ears
Wammer
Jul 15, 2016
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thinking of dusting my soldering off again.

Anyone have any experience with these? I have read about these a fair bit online, but was after some wam experience too.

I was thinking of the 180watt UcD180HG with HxR, which should be plenty of grunt for my Tannoys. Still not decided between using a transformer and one of their regulated supplies or using the switch mode power suppply.
You may want to consider using their Ncore series modules like the NC500 which offer far superior performance to the UcD modules along with their dedicated switching power supplies like the SMPS1200.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
... And get the wiring loom with it, I've heard they are a PITA to bodge...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guitarlegs

Latest Articles

Staff online