Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
DENON POA-4400A MONO BLOC - Has anyone heard these amplifiers and if so where they any good ?

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
DENON POA-4400A MONO BLOC - Has anyone heard these amplifiers and if so where they any good ?
Yes .. think PMA850 (although that is an integrated) with more balls. 

Clean sounding, built like a tank and almost doubles its output into 4ohms but I never got to try them into less than 4ohms back in the day so I wouldn't guarantee they will handle below 4ohms. 

I was castigated in an earlier comment for saying "use your own ears".  Well the thing is it has to be the case.  If you are getting them for a bargain price (under £500) then they might be worth a punt (as you can sell them on for no loss hopefully) but to be frank  I think a change to these from the 909 would be a side step at best and certainly not a significant step change upwards (and quite possibly a step backwards).  

Reactions: EddieRUKidding

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@uzzyThanks for the advice the cost is not that low so will probably as you say pass on these as it is too much of a risk . By the way i have never owned (or even heard) a 909 my main amp as per my tag line is a Krell KSA50 . 

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@uzzyThanks for the advice the cost is not that low so will probably as you say pass on these as it is too much of a risk . By the way i have never owned (or even heard) a 909 my main amp as per my tag line is a Krell KSA50 . 
Sorry I dropped down Man in a Van details - oops .. as for the Krell KSA 50 no way will the Denon's be in the same ball park in my opinion.  I think that was probably one of the best amps Krell ever made.

Ipsofacto

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mine say Hi :)

With regard to the comment re the Quad 909, there was a pair of 909 monoblocks on eBay a few months ago. Pretty rare to see those as if memory serves correct they weren't rolled out in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: uzzy

Ipsofacto

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Afraid memory has let you down there (don't worry, it's quite normal 9_9 )

I have a pair (of 909 mono's)

ronnie
Nice! I am sure I read somewhere that they weren't sold in the UK (although except, of course, on the second-hand market).

More importantly, how do they sound? I used to own a Quad 405-2 as a younger man and loved it. On that basis I am confident that the 909 monos are something really, really special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles