advice/opinions sought on turntable on a budget

gymac

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2009
glasgow, , United Ki
seeking some opinions on budget tt arm combos on a £400 budget, having to downgrade quite a bit and having owned some very nice decks over the years need some opinions and suggestions, looking at, thorens td 150/160/125 ar legend ariston rd11 etc etc, something that can be picked up fairly easily, swaying toward a td125 as I had one years ago and remember liking it how does a 150/160 compare. or would I be better with a p5

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
I quite fancy one of the Sony Biotracer ones, which would be well within that budget. If you're going to go cheap, why not make it interesting?

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you can get hold of one (German FeeBay is your best bet) try and track down a Sony PS-6750. I don't particularly like talking in absolutes, but in this instance I would say it's the finest turntable I've owned.

avinunca1

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2008
Shrewsbury, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could get a Pink Triangle PT1 or similar and arm with your budget. I think you will find the dc motor electronics more reliable. Great vfm. Good forum over on VinylEngine and also for other makes you may be interested in.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
look very well put together, do you rate this up against the garrard you had and how often do they come up for sale,
The Garrard was full of punch and rhythmic drive (in other words what Garrards do best) but the Sony had an almost easy-going musicality and sense of rightness which I hadn't really heard before or since from other TT's I've owned - not at the same level put it that way.

At Scalford in 2012 I took the Sony along to try against my then Technics SL1210 which had been mildly modified (psu/Achromat/KAB damper/Vantage feet & bearing). I plugged the Sony in - didn't bother re-aligning the cartridge, just balanced it and set vtf. From the first few bars of music, the other jaws in the room dropped along with mine. The improvement over the Technics - which was hardly shabby - was clear, to put it mildly.

I'd definitely put the Sony ahead of the Pioneer PL-71 too.

gymac

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2009
glasgow, , United Ki
p/t is a good shout had an export with an sme 309 and a oc9 a long time ago, was a very good combo, don't see to many p/t's for sale these day's though, just read up a bit on the sony don't seem to easy to come by.

T

Timsky

Easy. E-bay a Technics 1200 or a 1210 and find a low range mc cart (probably Japanese) and get on with your life.

Bertiebee

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2008
Midlands
AKA
Iain
All good choices, but just bought a Systemdek IIXE 900 with external power supply and acrylic platter for £240. Put a Rega arm and Ortofon cartridge on it and pleasantly suprised by how it sounds (a real step up from my Rega Planar 3).

Borats Baby

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2006
Warrington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
really like the look of the ps-x70 but it's finding one
My Dads got a PS-X6 which MAY be coming up for sale soon as they're moving house (downsizing) and I imagine he may re-think the hi fi ?

Don't know for sure yet though so if you find something in the meantime .. Or just use the Technics that you have in the cupboard, good as any int it !

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lenco deck in a nice plinth with your choice of arm and cart. Visit Lencoheaven. A nice one is well within budget, will deliver quality, durability, and superb sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online