Advice please on saving my ailing CD player.

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still have boxes and boxes of compact discs but no player... I have forgotten about the ritual of having to get off arse, pick one out of the collection of thousands, remove it, open case, remove the compact disc, open disc draw/lid , place in compact disc, close draw/lid, press play, sit arse back down, put case down or remove booklet 😭..... ... I'll stick to dreaming and streaming thinks me✌️

Reactions: Rayymondo

jbcortes

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 11, 2007
France
AKA
Jean-Baptiste
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I still have boxes and boxes of compact discs but no player... I have forgotten about the ritual of having to get off arse, pick one out of the collection of thousands, remove it, open case, remove the compact disc, open disc draw/lid , place in compact disc, close draw/lid, press play, sit arse back down, put case down or remove booklet 😭..... ... I'll stick to dreaming and streaming thinks me✌️
Stay way from vinyl then :)

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorted. New belt in place. Thanks to all for the advice. Martin at Audio Note was very helpful as was Mike at Pickwell Audio who supplied the belt.

IMG_20220712_092853695.jpg
Glad to have no moving parts in my system apart from my LP12 😀.

My last cd spinner was was a lovely Linn Ikemi but when the winds of change around streaming caught my interest it had to go! :(

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glad to have no moving parts in my system apart from my LP12 😀.

My last cd spinner was was a lovely Linn Ikemi but when the winds of change around streaming caught my interest it had to go! :(
What about your vibrating capacitors??

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The drawer mechanism of my 25 year old CD player is unhappy about getting old.

I have a Audio Note AN CD2 player with a NOS Dac and a valve output stage. It still sounds amazing and I do not want to give up on it.

The draw/disc reader mechanism is not happy. When you push the button to close the draw, with increasing frequency, the draw closes, whirs for a bit, does not engage and then opens again. This actually started about 5 years ago but is doing it more often. Now, sometimes it takes about 10 to 15 attempts to get it to engage.

I'm assuming this is a common problem with very old mechanisms. I believe it is a Sony mechanism.

Any advice and suggestions would be welcome. Is it possible to replace the mechanism for a newer one if I found one?

With the DAC chip it has got, I would really like to save it.

Any thoughts, suggestions and advice would be really welcome.

Cheers. C.
I had an old Mark Levinson CDP many years ago that developed a drawer opening and closing problem. I took off the top cover and found that the rails that the carriage slid along needed cleaning. This done and a couple of drops of light oil (not WD40) and it was fixed.

Your player is very old and won't have a DAC that matches modern ones, even those in relatively low-cost units. I'd probably fix the mechanics and use the digital out to a new DAC, or a digital amp that includes a DAC.

Or go the whole hog and ditch CDs altogether and subscribe to a high quality streaming service. Since I started streaming, my CDs have gathered dust in drawers, although I can still play them. As I've ripped my collection of about 1500 CDs, the FLAC files are readily available from the hard drive within my new CD player / ripper / hard drive store / streamer. The CD Play feature is now only used when I have visitors with their own CDs that I don't wish to rip!

Good luck. Peter

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your player is very old and won't have a DAC that matches modern ones, even those in relatively low-cost units. I'd probably fix the mechanics and use the digital out to a new DAC, or a digital amp that includes a DAC.
I wouldn't ;)

It may be relatively old, but assuming you like the presentation, you won't find many standalone DACs that better it unless you have very deep pockets.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorted. New belt in place. Thanks to all for the advice. Martin at Audio Note was very helpful as was Mike at Pickwell Audio who supplied the belt.

IMG_20220712_092853695.jpg
Good to hear and unlike a lot of others, AN do keep a great stock and are very helpful to customers. If you really want to thank them then 2 of the chaps will be at the Show and mingling with Wammers. It includes one of their two key designers.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
'I had an old Mark Levinson CDP many years ago that developed a drawer opening and closing problem. I took off the top cover and found that the rails that the carriage slid along needed cleaning. This done and a couple of drops of light oil (not WD40) and it was fixed.'
You really want to be using plastic lube for this purpose, not any form of oil.......

Reactions: tackleberry

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
'I had an old Mark Levinson CDP many years ago that developed a drawer opening and closing problem. I took off the top cover and found that the rails that the carriage slid along needed cleaning. This done and a couple of drops of light oil (not WD40) and it was fixed.'
You really want to be using plastic lube for this purpose, not any form of oil.......
This.

Lithium grease. Latex gloves and a cotton bud to apply it. Sparingly. Try not to get it on anything else external, because even with serious solvents, you can still feel it. Get it on your fingers and you'll spend days with a scrubbing brush :ROFLMAO:

Colinjg

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2016
South Midlands.
AKA
Walter Fagen.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had an old Mark Levinson CDP many years ago that developed a drawer opening and closing problem. I took off the top cover and found that the rails that the carriage slid along needed cleaning. This done and a couple of drops of light oil (not WD40) and it was fixed.

Or go the whole hog and ditch CDs altogether and subscribe to a high quality streaming service. Since I started streaming, my CDs have gathered dust in drawers, although I can still play them. As I've ripped my collection of about 1500 CDs, the FLAC files are readily available from the hard drive within my new CD player / ripper / hard drive store / streamer. The CD Play feature is now only used when I have visitors with their own CDs that I don't wish to rip!

Good luck. Peter
I toy with the idea of streaming, but don't quite get round to it. My wife streams some stuff via her phone. Sounds not terrible.

I want to keep my CD player alive as it's DAC chip, ( AD1865), is still advertised as being used in Audio Note's most expensive DACs. I believe they bought all/most of the final stock when it stopped being made some years back. It sounds very natural imho and very similar to my LP12 in my system. It doesn't owe me anything, but I hope it keeps going.

Reactions: Lawrence001

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles