Mischa

Wammer
Jan 4, 2022
Essen, Germany
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am currently running a passive Akubarik with an Akurate DSM/3 and an Akurate 2200/1 and am very happy. But one is always on the lookout for that last bit of personal perfection.
Now, while surfing, I stumbled across an ad for the amplifier backpack to activate the Akubarik. Since I would like to first multiamp and then activate the Akubarik externally with 2 more 4200s in the future anyway, I also considered this option. This would have the great advantage of not having to lay entire cable harnesses. My better half would not agree at all. I have attached a few pictures. Was this original option really available from Linn or is it a tinkering solution? Would you advise against it?

Akubarik Amp 01.jpg
Akubarik Amp 02.jpg
Akubarik Amp 03.jpg

Suffolkboy

Wammer
Apr 19, 2020
I am currently running a passive Akubarik with an Akurate DSM/3 and an Akurate 2200/1 and am very happy. But one is always on the lookout for that last bit of personal perfection.
Now, while surfing, I stumbled across an ad for the amplifier backpack to activate the Akubarik. Since I would like to first multiamp and then activate the Akubarik externally with 2 more 4200s in the future anyway, I also considered this option. This would have the great advantage of not having to lay entire cable harnesses. My better half would not agree at all. I have attached a few pictures. Was this original option really available from Linn or is it a tinkering solution? Would you advise against it?

Akubarik Amp 01.jpg
Akubarik Amp 02.jpg
Akubarik Amp 03.jpg
The akubariks were supplied as passive or aktiv, there was not an official integrated upgrade for a passive speaker. Had you considered upgrading the source Klimax dsm or selekt organik?

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The akubariks were supplied as passive or aktiv, there was not an official integrated upgrade for a passive speaker.
And, certainly, if there had been, they wouldn’t have come with Nakamichi banana plugs like that. Has the seller been using them with 3-way speakers?

‘troll

Reactions: Mischa

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It might well be ‘doable’, even though it was never an available option from Linn. My (and likely the OP’s) Akubariks have the rear module screw holes on the rear of the cabinets. I’d guess it would simply(!) be a matter of identifying the wires and connecting to the right drive units.
Not something I’d want to attempt though!

Mick

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And, certainly, if there had been, they wouldn’t have come with Nakamichi banana plugs like that. Has the seller been using them with 3-way speakers?

‘troll
I agree, as far as I know there were no official upgrade to the passive Akubariks. But it seems to be five pair of cables. Or am I missing something?

• Upvote

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'll bet the boards are well labeled. If I were to do it, I'd create stands that held the amp modules and leave them near to the existing Akubariks.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree, as far as I know there were no official upgrade to the passive Akubariks. But it seems to be five pair of cables. Or am I missing something?
No, you’re correct. I was sure one of them only had three pairs. (Actually, I was just checking to see if anyone still read my posts…)

’troll

Harryup

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Stockholm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
THe boards are labeled very well and there are service manuals. So I would be curious if the panel are working alright.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have these modules modified to fit passive Akubariks been tested by being fitted onto passive Akubariks?

Two concerns:

Is there clearance for the banana plugs to fit without interference?

Is the necessary hardware to fit the modules to the speakers included?

Mischa

Wammer
Jan 4, 2022
Essen, Germany
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After further consideration, I will decide against the tinkering solution.
I was offered the following:

1. the active modules for your 2200/1 without additional payment.

2. the active modules + pre-owned Linn Selekt with line-out module and Katalyst DAC, for your 2200/1 + ADSM/3 + 1500 Euro additional payment.

I don't see switching from my Akurate Katalyst to the Selekt Katalyst as an improvement. Here my next step will be more a switch to an "old" Klimax DSM Katalyst. Here I will lie in wait and if a good deal comes along I will strike and replace the Akurate. This will still give me the option to go Organik in a second step.

After further consideration, the amplifier module is an interesting option, but I think it's almost unsellable in case of further upgrades. So I'm more likely to look at a Klimax Twin in the future or, if I'm very lucky, two Solos and stay passive. Less boxes and cables.

Last edited:

Mischa

Wammer
Jan 4, 2022
Essen, Germany
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have these modules modified to fit passive Akubariks been tested by being fitted onto passive Akubariks?

Two concerns:

Is there clearance for the banana plugs to fit without interference?

Is the necessary hardware to fit the modules to the speakers included?
This was the statement of the vendor:

These modules were traded in by us, mounted on a set of passiv Akubariks, made aktiv that way. They sounded just like the original Akubarik aktivs. The only difference between passiv and aktiv Akubariks in the speaker part concerns the terminals and passiv filtering. I can easily instruct you how to by-pass those passiv filters.

The modules originally came from Akubarik aktiv speakers which had bin upgraded to Exakt with use of new Exakt modules.

So, suited with those aktiv modules, your passiv Akubariks indeed will be equal to the original aktiv Akubariks concerning sound performance. The only difference will be in the way the modules are connected, and the fact that those modules can't be upgraded to Exakt anymore.

Reactions: akamatsu

Mr2102

Wammer
Sep 20, 2019
That's interesting, I think I'd seen these or similar and wondered the same as Mischa.

Makes me think that offering the option to convert Akubariks to passive wouldn't be that much work for Linn (just cross over and binding post plate?) and would at least make them less of a dead end.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Re: resale, that's why I thought making the amps independent and free standing allows more flexibility to sell both bits separately.

Mischa

Wammer
Jan 4, 2022
Essen, Germany
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Re: resale, that's why I thought making the amps independent and free standing allows more flexibility to sell both bits separately.
The nuts for screwing on the brackets, which are also supplied, are present on my Akubarik. This means that it would be possible to attach the Active Packs to the rear without any restrictions, as with the original Akubarik Active, and also to remove them again without leaving any traces.
That's what made the solution so attractive to me for the time being. I'm starting to have second thoughts again.
As far as I know, there are trim screws on the top of the Aktiv modules, which are normally adapted to the respective Akubarik drivers. This is of course not possible here. I don't know how to adjust them. You could of course set all the trim screws to zero, but surely there is a reason why Linn provides this trim, right? Or are there other adjustment screws here?

Maybe someone from this thread can say something about it?

Thanks to all.

Although I think switching from playing passiv with a single 2200/1, to full aktiv with those modules will be the biggest performance improvement I have ever heard without spending any money!

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Mischa I assume you have this doc - https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Akubarik_Aktiv

From memory, the settings for each individual 3K array should be written on the back of each one - it’s unlikely to be a matched pair in your speakers. They may even be indicated on the passive crossover, I don’t know.

Added - or, as discussed in the Fine Tuning thread you linked to above, Linn Helpline should be able to supply the settings for your speakers, given the Serial Numbers. I assume they’ll be able todo this, even though yours are Passive Akubariks.

’troll

Last edited:
  • Thanks

Mischa

Wammer
Jan 4, 2022
Essen, Germany
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is currently all I have in terms of photo documentation. In principle, this solution should be a viable option. Or what do you think?

Mischa

Wammer
Jan 4, 2022
Essen, Germany
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An argument that cannot be dismissed out of hand either. Your opinion?

___________________________________________________________________________________
Indeed every original delivered aktiv Akubarik is set to be as equal as possible.

But on the same time, they sold seperate aktiv filter cards for Akubarik, which can be installed in external Linn amps to drive your passiv Akubariks aktiv with this external amps option. Those cards provided the same fine-tuning option on the amps as featured on the aktiv modules. I think you have to see it just the same way. So, allthough maybe not perfectly matched to (very) small production differences of the 3k array from start (neither it is in your current passiv setup), nevertheless it will give you far more options to fine-tune (based on listening opinion) then in an passiv setup. Just starting from neutral position and build towards the sound you like the most with the fine-tune options you even wouldn't have had in any passiv setup.

In fact you can see the modules as two Akurate dynamik level amps with both 4x100 + 1x200watt power, and build-in chakra aktiv cards.

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
If the seller have tried it, then it is a viable solution? I don't know what you want the forum to weigh in on? Of course you might not be able to get them serviced by Linn ofiiclally? This should reflect in an attractive price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles