Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
Newark Notts
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am thinking about replacing my Akurate 242's with preloved Klimax 350 p's and just wondered if anyone has gone down this route & what there thoughts are or comparisons done between the two..I have read mainly negative reviews of 350 passive but some positive as well..I can't get my head around this as to how passive 350's with an rrp of 32k will not better Akurate 242's with an rrp of 7k by some distance.
I would be driving them with a pair of current spec Klimax Solo's..
As with any preloved kit its difficult to get a meaningfull demo so would be a risk & would welcome any feedback...

Reactions: Paulssurround

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
you asked for personal statements, so here is mine:

I would stay with the 242.

why?
  • I owned 350 for six months and don‘t liked them
  • I never heard any 350 in a way I want to hear music (heard more than 15 350 systems)
  • 350 generate a lot of power in the room and it may be difficult to drive
  • 242 with a pair of Solos are a perfect match
But I guess a lot of forum members who still own 350 have a total different view on that.

It‘s always a matter of personal taste.

I wouldn‘t buy any speaker without hearing it in my room in my system for at least a week or two.

pidge22

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
Newark Notts
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
you asked for personal statements, so here is mine:

I would stay with the 242.

why?
  • I owned 350 for six months and don‘t liked them
  • I never heard any 350 in a way I want to hear music (heard more than 15 350 systems)
  • 350 generate a lot of power in the room and it may be difficult to drive
  • 242 with a pair of Solos are a perfect match
But I guess a lot of forum members who still own 350 have a total different view on that.

It‘s always a matter of personal taste.

I wouldn‘t buy any speaker without hearing it in my room in my system for at least a week or two.
thanks Ben honest feedback is exactly what I wanted...

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Historically the 242's have not always received the love that in my opinion they deserve so don't believe everything you read. My son in law had a pair of Mk1's for some time powered by a KDS+Twin and I always thought they sounded sweet. So I am with @Ben Webster on the quality of the 242's. The 3K array is a star IMHO. You will see I have 350P and I am happy with them. I do not have such a discerning ear as some on this forum so you need to make your own mind up. I think Solos will work well with them (it is my aim to swap the Twin for Solo's at some point) - don't forget the bass pair are powered internally so the solos are only driving the 3K + mid.

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have not heard the 242 so can't comment on those but the 350P's are way more musical rewarding than Akubarik in any set-up I have heard (integrated analog, integrated Exakt Kat, passive with Klout or AKurate amp(s). Live records presents you with the feeling of being there, even when not playing loud. My room is approx 42m2 and only with one Akurate amp - so great upgrades coming as I did audition them with Klimax Solo before buying.
Classical, ACDC, blues, jazz, do not matter - all amazing with 350P

I have also heard 350 Exakt (non-kat) at a dealer and it was not very good, but then again that was in a small room around 15-20m2 where few systems were really good. So it is possible to get them to perform bad - no surprise.

Øyvind I

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with the above points, having heard many 242's in passive, Exakt, Exakt Katalyst, and 350's in passive with Solos, Exakt and Exakt Katalyst.

They are both magnificent speakers when set up properly and driven with the right hardware.

I like the Klimax 350's in passive with Solos and was one of my reference systems with a Klimax Kontrol front end.

Various aspects of the 350's sound improved with going Exakt, but they really come into their own with Exakt Katalyst.

As mentioned, always best to do an extensive audition with your favorite reference music, preferably in your own home.

Reactions: Tendaberry

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
Another vote for 242s.

350Ps with solo's and Klimax ds never did it for me. Heard them many times in 3 different setups but never owned them. Also heard them once with klimax crossovers and KCTs/Solos and would have taken KCT/242s.

As Paul said, Exakt helped the 350A but it was only about 2-3 years ago when Linn reworked the software that I really began to enjoy the 350As. Now with Organik and the top DSM, the active version sounds superb and much better than Akubariks.

A hifi friend dem'd 242s vs akubariks and said the 242s were more special. I think he may be right. I never heard akubariks and really wanted them, unlike 242s.

I may be up for buying your 242s when the time comes though 🤔 I will pm you.

Last edited:

pidge22

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
Newark Notts
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the feedback on this ...the problem I have is buying used means you usually have to take a punt without a proper demo with your own setup & the weight of opinion seems to be with the 242's so i may stay as is in the short term.
My other thoughts are to replace my Klimax Solos with a Tron valve amp to match my Tron Seven Phono & Tron Seven Linestage and there is no way it will drive the lower efficiency 242's so will need to look at higher efficiency speakers if I go ahead with that plan...

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
Thanks for all the feedback on this ...the problem I have is buying used means you usually have to take a punt without a proper demo with your own setup & the weight of opinion seems to be with the 242's so i may stay as is in the short term.
My other thoughts are to replace my Klimax Solos with a Tron valve amp to match my Tron Seven Phono & Tron Seven Linestage and there is no way it will drive the lower efficiency 242's so will need to look at higher efficiency speakers if I go ahead with that plan...
Have you tried Tundra Monos?

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have passive 242's and cannot see me going any higher in the Linn speaker food chain. For the ultra fussy they might be a tad bass light. This can be remedied by either using the "Bass Boost" facility on the speaker, or just adding a subwoofer. Both work, but I slightly prefer the bass with my REL subwoofer. For 95% of the time the speakers are perfect on their own.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I can't get my head around this as to how passive 350's with an rrp of 32k will not better Akurate 242's with an rrp of 7k by some distance.
The reason could be that musical performance has never had a direct relation to price, nor will it ever. Also there are a number of people who still prefer the original Linn Isobariks to anything that has come after. I have never had the desire to own K350s even though I have heard and setup several pair of them.

Suffolkboy

Wammer
Apr 19, 2020
I’ve heard many 350 system in every guise, and owned them myself for ten years. They worked well in my old house, but I had too much bass when I moved.
Last week I had the opportunity to hear tundra with 242 vs 350 with solos, and preferred 242. The best I can achieve in the new room is with 109 or akubariks.

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve heard many 350 system in every guise, and owned them myself for ten years. They worked well in my old house, but I had too much bass when I moved.
Last week I had the opportunity to hear tundra with 242 vs 350 with solos, and preferred 242. The best I can achieve in the new room is with 109 or akubariks.
Hi, i believe you are here touching the very important factor of room. My room is about 6 x 7.5 meters with a tiny L at one end.
Akubariks never really worked, independent of passive with Aubarik or Klout, or Exakt katalyst. I've heard Akubariks being good in other, but smaller rooms.
Of some reason I got MISO to work well in the room. Keltik's was fun for little money but lacked refinement (Exakt Kat) while 350P are absolutely amazing - in that room. Even with the obvious bottleneck of standard Selekt DSM and a A4200 (two channels).
Øyvind I

Reactions: pidge22 and entdgc

pidge22

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
Newark Notts
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the feedback on this much appreciated ...my listening room is 18 sq m so average I guess...I dont like a heavy bass & when you buy used you don't get the chance to demo in your own surroundings ...its a pain to get wrong and then having to lug a pair of 54kg speakers in & out !

Reactions: formann

Ray Vardy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2018
Planet Earth
raysplace.com
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hey.
Curious, did you have any issues with your listening room with your current system at point of install? . If so did you do the math, using for example https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc Or did you tunedem / SO etc?

From what I'm reading diminishing returns kicks in at some point therefore wondering at what point spending some money on the room may give a better return than the next system upgrade 🤔

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The only real important factor is to get your speakers into your room and sort out the positioning of the speakers and your listening position. There are plenty of guides/advice on the internet and unless you have a really odd room its all pretty easy. This might take a few hours but its free and satisfying when you get it right. I am in the camp who believe that SO + room treatments/acoustics are really for people who have more time to spare than is really healthy. That path leads to spending lots of money and never really being satisfied with the sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles