Question Akurate ds /Katalyst : Utopik or not?

A question.

ThL

New Wammer
Nov 5, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dears,

I’m new member. I own 2 hifi systems, both with Akurate ds. On the main system (Wilson Audio + Pass Labs), the Akurate was recently upgraded to Katalyst.
I wonder if an Utopik upgrade would bring a huge improvement considering the cost.

it´s difficult to find some feed-back from owners having upgraded their Akurate ds.

That’s why I’m here!

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Dears,

I’m new member. I own 2 hifi systems, both with Akurate ds. On the main system (Wilson Audio + Pass Labs), the Akurate was recently upgraded to Katalyst.
I wonder if an Utopik upgrade would bring a huge improvement considering the cost.

it´s difficult to find some feed-back from owners having upgraded their Akurate ds.

That’s why I’m here!
Please scroll to Linn section at the bottom of this forum, there is a lot of discussion related to Utopik at the moment between the Linnies

Reactions: timster

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dears,

That’s why I’m here!
I'm in the same position as you. I think you'll struggle to find this answer as Linn have moved away from Akurate models and I can't see if anyone would spend such money on older model?

If you are looking for upgrade is it not better to purchase Klimax DS 3 Katalyst instead?

Reactions: maddog_007

ThL

New Wammer
Nov 5, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm in the same position as you. I think you'll struggle to find this answer as Linn have moved away from Akurate models and I can't see if anyone would spend such money on older model?

If you are looking for upgrade is it not better to purchase Klimax DS 3 Katalyst instead?
Could be an option. However I was told by a retailer that Akurate ds latest version was close to Klimax first versions!
if I want to move from Akurate to Selekt Edition, it cost about 12000€ . Too much!
Even if it is discontinued, Akurate is an excellent streamer that´s why I own 2, one of them was recently upgraded to Katalyst. The latter Could be candidate for Utopik, therefore my question…

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could be an option. However I was told by a retailer that Akurate ds latest version was close to Klimax first versions!
if I want to move from Akurate to Selekt Edition, it cost about 12000€ . Too much!
Even if it is discontinued, Akurate is an excellent streamer that´s why I own 2, one of them was recently upgraded to Katalyst. The latter Could be candidate for Utopik, therefore my question…
Agreed in principle!
On point 1 Klimax DS Katalyst might be ahead still?
On point 2 used examples of Selekt DSM are around €5000 and come with Utopik from 2022, if purchased ex dem from dealer you have option to demo against your existing 2 machines?
On point 3, yes Akurate is excellent, I have original DS0/3 and I'm happy with it, so...

Only you can decide but holding on for definitive answer, you might go old waiting or be lucky! 🌝

I think listen to Selekt alongside your Akurate at dealer for comparison is good idea!
🤔

ThL

New Wammer
Nov 5, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed in principle!
On point 1 Klimax DS Katalyst might be ahead still?
On point 2 used examples of Selekt DSM are around €5000 and come with Utopik from 2022, if purchased ex dem from dealer you have option to demo against your existing 2 machines?
On point 3, yes Akurate is excellent, I have original DS0/3 and I'm happy with it, so...

Only you can decide but holding on for definitive answer, you might go old waiting or be lucky! 🌝

I think listen to Selekt alongside your Akurate at dealer for comparison is good idea!
🤔
Agree

Reactions: parcelmonkey

ThL

New Wammer
Nov 5, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some additional feed-back…

My idea was to buy a 2nd hand Akurate dsm 3, in order to replace my Ayre preamp and to evaluate the Utopik upgrade.

The retailer came home and we compared my Akurate ds3 with the dsm3 which is similar in sound quality.
Then he proposed to test the Selekt Classic with basic DAC and Utopik… it was a big waouh!!
So I bought the Selekt which is now connected to my Pass Labs power amplifiers.
Budget 6300€

Elliotts

Wammer
Dec 11, 2023
Chester
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some additional feed-back…

My idea was to buy a 2nd hand Akurate dsm 3, in order to replace my Ayre preamp and to evaluate the Utopik upgrade.

The retailer came home and we compared my Akurate ds3 with the dsm3 which is similar in sound quality.
Then he proposed to test the Selekt Classic with basic DAC and Utopik… it was a big waouh!!
So I bought the Selekt which is now connected to my Pass Labs power amplifiers.
Budget 6300€
I have a Selekt Katalyst DAC for sale in the classified section if you would be interested in upgrading from the standard dac.

ashhadk

Wammer
Feb 25, 2023
Dubai
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dears,

That’s why I’m here!
Just got mine upgraded this week. Definitely an improvement. Lot more clarity and larger sound stage. Hearing a fair bit of new things in the usual tracks.

I recommend getting it if you can get a good deal on it, I got a bunch of LP12 upgrades and Utopik came free with them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online