Album Club

Tamed Shrew

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2015
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've taken a lot of tips from here over the years, but never posted a topic before, so I thought I'd share the story of how me and 4 friends set up an Album Club about a decade ago.
Born out of a pub conversation, the idea was each month someone would host an evening to play some albums (and provide drinks and nibbles). We'd experience new music and have a bit of a catch up.
After the first round, it became painfully obvious that nobody (other than yours truly) actually had anything even approaching a bearable system to play music on. The lineup: a portable bluetooth speaker and a modern suitcase record player (to hear Led Zep on a Crossley is to know sorrow); a cheap 90s music centre; a childhood Dual/Denon system (sadly with a blown bass driver and cheapo cartridge with at least 20k hours on it) and lastly a Sony/Pioneer separates system that would have been reasonable had it not been reversed over by a car (I kid you not).
If I wasn't going to grind my teeth away listening to records played at 38rpm accompanied by neighbourhood dogs whining in distress, I clearly had to do something.
Luckily we live in an age where people are pretty much giving away decent mid level hifi to make room for more modern stuff. I made it my mission to get everyone a decent set of speakers, amp and record player for less money than my last stylus. Thanks to the usual auction sites and freecycle, I slowly replaced everything despite the withering/bemused/exasperated looks from my friends wives.
None of my friends have the slightest interest in further upgrading - I think they consider me eccentric for what I've spent on what is a modest system by WAM standards, but they're happy with their new setups and listen to a lot more music now.
I'd recommend forming an album club - they make for a great evening. Perhaps there are others out there?

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure how I missed this thread. I'm pretty certain that I've read of other Wammers doing something very much long these lines, albeit without the expense of purchasing kit for mates! (that's top Wamming, by the way, full marks for that)

I've thought about doing this myself, but not quite got round to organising it. Perhaps I'll have a think about it again this year

Reactions: MVJ and Tamed Shrew

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've taken a lot of tips from here over the years, but never posted a topic before, so I thought I'd share the story of how me and 4 friends set up an Album Club about a decade ago.
Born out of a pub conversation, the idea was each month someone would host an evening to play some albums (and provide drinks and nibbles). We'd experience new music and have a bit of a catch up.
After the first round, it became painfully obvious that nobody (other than yours truly) actually had anything even approaching a bearable system to play music on. The lineup: a portable bluetooth speaker and a modern suitcase record player (to hear Led Zep on a Crossley is to know sorrow); a cheap 90s music centre; a childhood Dual/Denon system (sadly with a blown bass driver and cheapo cartridge with at least 20k hours on it) and lastly a Sony/Pioneer separates system that would have been reasonable had it not been reversed over by a car (I kid you not).
If I wasn't going to grind my teeth away listening to records played at 38rpm accompanied by neighbourhood dogs whining in distress, I clearly had to do something.
Luckily we live in an age where people are pretty much giving away decent mid level hifi to make room for more modern stuff. I made it my mission to get everyone a decent set of speakers, amp and record player for less money than my last stylus. Thanks to the usual auction sites and freecycle, I slowly replaced everything despite the withering/bemused/exasperated looks from my friends wives.
None of my friends have the slightest interest in further upgrading - I think they consider me eccentric for what I've spent on what is a modest system by WAM standards, but they're happy with their new setups and listen to a lot more music now.
I'd recommend forming an album club - they make for a great evening. Perhaps there are others out there?
Love this story! That's dedication to the love of listening to music and sharing the experience with others.

Reactions: MVJ and Tamed Shrew

Tamed Shrew

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2015
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bit of sleeper thread this... thanks for the responses @bigrod @Jules_S & @Gizza

At the last Album Club one of the guys asked me about what turntable I'd recommend him upgrading to. Just shows, you plant a seed and a mere decade later interest in HiFi blossoms...

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You’re obviously a very busy man Jules
Nah, just not very observant! Ha ha

I see music evenings (as opposed to bake-offs) as more about that journey of discovery and shared enjoyment of music than critical listening. Or, as often happens at bake-offs, a load of old blokes talking a lot of hot air about hi-fi (and I very much include myself in that by the way!) I love the social aspect of bake-offs but sometimes it's just nice to sit quietly and share the appreciation of a new or favourite artist

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles