Alner Hamblin advice needed please

Robmg

Wammer
New Wammer
Sep 30, 2013
Dorset
AKA
Rob
Hi all, was chatting to Bourney the other day about his valve amp, and he recommended i join here to ask your advice about my outgoing kit, i have owned it for a long time now and could really do with some help as to what its worth, i have 2 x Alner Hamblin SA-400 power amps that i have been running as monoblocks and also the matching SP-400 pre amp all in as new condition with boxes and manuals

Do you reckon i am better trying to sell it all in one lump or split them up?

Any advice would be great

Robmg

Wammer
New Wammer
Sep 30, 2013
Dorset
AKA
Rob
Hi Steve, I know they don`t turn up often but out of all wam members you would think someone would have an opinion

lets be honest even if you don`t like how they sound, with 1.1 Kw into 8 0hms you could always use them for a bit of arc welding at the weekend :D

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These are rare to find so I'd sell them as a job lot. Presumably the amps could be converted back to stereo? if so, you could perhaps consider a pre/power sale and a separate power amp sale.

These could well be many years old and they're a brand that very few will have heard of. This makes value very difficult to judge. Anything is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. That willingness depends on a number of factors ~ brand reputation, potential reliability issues, ease of repair, what they sound like (difficult to judge, as so few will have heard them) along with the likes of their re-sale value (given all the box swapping that infects this place :) )

Probably best to stick them on eBay and see what happens ~ depending on how brave you are!

If I had to guess I'd say around £400-500 for the lot? (around 20-25% of their original RRP). Probably a bargain at that, but there's loads of them around at present. But that value is just a guess ~ others may have a different opinion (loads of those around here too :D )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.