Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a heads up Ian, as it seems beyond your present budget. :oops: The Cambridge Audio SM6 & NP30 both have full support for BBC i-player built in. There are also streaming services available & similar direct access to loads of internet radio similar to on the SBT. So no need to enter the URL in many cases. Can't say I've investigated the streaming services, AIPO is one & C.A. claimed spotify support would be in the pipeline......Rather a long time back, certainly over a year at least. :roll:

A real shame but Richers had a long term promotion on the NP30, selling @ £250 until a coupla months back. It's prolly still well worth it @ the current price of £300 & C.A. added digital pre-amp/Vol. control + gapless playback support for this player some time back.

I've been running an SM6 since February, having previously been using a couple of SBT's. It's a peach & I love it. :love: :stereo:

The screens on the C.A.'s look to have more display lines & I don't find them too bad for reading from my seated position & the C.A. supplied remotes are particularly good. TBH & I'm sure you're well aware of this an Android Tablet would take the user experience to a whole new level, so would be well worth considering later on. :^ Suitable ones can be found from around £40 .http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=android%20tablet%207%20inch&sprefix=Android+Tablet%2Caps%2C205.

Quite a few of the Jap mfr UPnP/DLNA players/renderers don't offer built in support for BBC i-player. So this is summat you would always need to research properly, to avoid disappointment. Rather than relying on 'Sales Wazzocks,' who may be clueless as to the specs of products sold in their own place of work. :doh: There may be work arounds for some of these, but as I'm not a user of one I'm not really up ter speed on this. :nup:

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really grateful for this Chris, food for thought in terms of budget increase !

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
If it's really just for iPlayer, you could get yourself a second hand iPod Touch very cheap and install the iPlayer Radio app on it. 3.5mm to phono cable and Bob's your uncle.

I've seen them go on here for £50.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Had a few people ask me about iplayer about the classic. Is it correct that the classic doesn't support it?
It's supported by the Triode plugin.

They're going for about £80 these days.

tonerei

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 14, 2012
Dublin,Ireland
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Mark. A little birdy advised me of the appropriate price here. Believe it or not on eBay they be selling for 100-125. But I am realistic except when it comes to CA. Then I am crazy

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Thanks Mark. A little birdy advised me of the appropriate price here. Believe it or not on eBay they be selling for 100-125. But I am realistic except when it comes to CA. Then I am crazy
All I did was a quick search of the private classifieds. I checked the last half dozen sold and they were all in the £75-85+pp range.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Recent e-bay sold listings.Top recent price from a couple of days back was £107. >>. .http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=squeezebox+classic&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc.

That's e-bay thouigh, £70 to £90 delivered would be about right here.

I only asked £165 delivered by RMSD around 3 months or so back, for an immaculate condition SBT complete with accessories/box etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles