Amp advice for Ditton 44's

M

MJ.

I've had the Dittons for a couple of weeks now and like a lot of what they do.

The mids and highs are great and the bass thunderous from the 12" cones but the whole sound just seems a bit polite.

I'm currently driving them with my Sony 670ES, which probably doesn't help, as it is a very smooth and polite amp itself. Now, I realise that the Dittons will have a 70's smooth sound but when driven with my little Tends Audio T-Amp the Ditton's come alive. Same great mids and smooth, extended treble (the Celestion HF2000 tweeters are really good) but this time, better controlled, very deep bass and more slam and attack, a far more visceral experience.

The problem is that the T-Amp is single output, low power and has no phono stage.

So, any suggestions for an amp round about the £200'ish mark that would have similar sonic attributes to the T-Amp (fast, dynamic, maybe even erring towards bright), with 3 inputs, ideally one of them being phono and a bit more grunt ?

What have you heard / owned that has worked well with Ditton 44's or could you recommend for the sound I am looking for ?

Love the speakers, I'm just sure that I can get more out of them with a better amp match.

WHY ?

Thanks for your help chaps :^

M

MJ.

Looks a definite possibility Simon.

I loved the 4040S3 and 4140S2 Integrateds I used to own.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Somethin with tone controls or a slight bass lightness (like the Creek) would be my choice. The Myst TMA3 is a wonderful amp at around £200, for less money then I would look at the Creek amps.

- - - Updated - - -

The OA21 is 20w per channel. Most Creeks are 35-50 W per channel, which is really how much is needed.

M

MJ.

Somethin with tone controls or a slight bass lightness (like the Creek) would be my choice. The Myst TMA3 is a wonderful amp at around £200, for less money then I would look at the Creek amps.- - - Updated - - -

The OA21 is 20w per channel. Most Creeks are 35-50 W per channel, which is really how much is needed.
I had a chance of the Myst a couple of months ago and turned it down :doh:

I think the Creeks could be the way to go.

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a pair of Ditton 25s that I occasionally pull out. They work really nice with a decent single ended 845 tube amp but also a Cyrus 2 & PSX.

When bought new they were partnered with a Sony TA-3650 which worked really well with them but that was 35 years ago and I really can't compare with current day equipment.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Ditton 44s are fine vintage speakers, but they can be a little lazy if they don't have good amplification.

I'm surprised that you don't like them with your Sony, but TBF I have never partnered mine with that amp (though for a long period I owned both at the same time!) so there could be some kind of mismatch there.

I don't find them hard to drive as long as the amp has a fair amount of grunt - the best results I have had is using vintage Sansui amps with the Dittons - AU-D11 mk2, AU-X701, AU-X711. These are fine amps, so might be a bit pricey for your budget.

:^

PS - you do have the Dittons raised a few inches off the floor, don't you? If you haven't then try it - I find it helps their sound considerably, particularly at the bottom end.

M

MJ.

Ditton 44s are fine vintage speakers, but they can be a little lazy if they don't have good amplification.I'm surprised that you don't like them with your Sony, but TBF I have never partnered mine with that amp (though for a long period I owned both at the same time!) so there could be some kind of mismatch there.

I don't find them hard to drive as long as the amp has a fair amount of grunt - the best results I have had is using vintage Sansui amps with the Dittons - AU-D11 mk2, AU-X701, AU-X711. These are fine amps, so might be a bit pricey for your budget.

:^

PS - you do have the Dittons raised a few inches off the floor, don't you? If you haven't then try it - I find it helps their sound considerably, particularly at the bottom end.
The Sony isn't bad by a long stretch John, just a bit polite :)

Edit: and yes, they are 10" off the ground on very solid 'stands'.

M

MJ.

Don't have a clue if it's any good or the price.Syep was selling his A1 on here a week or 2 ago.

Not sure if it sold or not.
Think Syeps was the one I saw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online