Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,

Here goes then - I've been debating whether to ask this question on the forum as ultimately it's my ears that will tell me what I like but owing to the absolute wealth of products available, my lack of knowledge outside of well known names and the fact that I'm still reasonably new at this game I thought I'd put myself at your mercy.

I have Neat Momentum 4i speakers on order which worked very well in my hard to get right lounge. 12' x 14.5' in size which has some treatment, mainly vicoustic bass traps and some soon needed panelling on opposite wall to speakers. Source is a Linn Majik DS.

So far on home demo I've tried Rega Elicit R which was nicely detailed but lacking in pace, Exposure 2010S2 not so great & 3010S2 which I really enjoyed the PRAT and the bass notes, however a quick demo of a Heed Obelisk S1 without separate PSU highlighted something missing from the Exposure which was more separation of the music albeit with not quite as good bass.

So what I'm wondering/hoping for is the get up and go / musicality etc of the Exposure but with some more hifi traits :upgrade:

I wondered about Roksan Caspian M2 / Creek Destiny 2? Or which is where you come in hopefully some pointers to more esoteric s/h amps either pre/power or integrated that might be worth seeking out. I hear good things about Accuphase and see a 307 on eBay for near to my budget?

Just to clarify, not wanting to go valve or Naim as an option. Soz to fans of those...

Thoughts and help in clearing the muddy waters for me please.

Thanks in advance, Ade/Parcelmonkey

saab9000

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2010
hertfordshire
AKA
vince
Electrocompaniet amps sound correct,very musical.The ECI 5 used if you can find one should be available for around £1500 or so Mk 1 version.

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
Not sure about the Roksan and the Creek. You may find the sound a bit too thin. I'd look for an amp with a weight to its presentation. The Accuphase if in mint condition should fit the bill nicely.

linnman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2011
W Mids
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What pre amp are you using or are you running DS direct into the 5125 and using digital volume. Adding something like an Akurate or Exotik pre will be an improvement.

I haven't hear a 5125 but by all accounts it's quite an accomplished power amp. If you are looking to change the power amp the next step Linn wise would be a twin, but why not go the route I have.

I've changed all my amplification to Lejonklou, a Kikkin pre (but only allows 1 source) and a Tundra power amp, I preferred it to a twin and it's 1/3rd the price

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Electrocompaniet amps sound correct,very musical.The ECI 5 used if you can find one should be available for around £1500 or so Mk 1 version.
Thanks, I did come across Electrocompaniet during a web search but discounted them as reviews tended to state they were a bit smooth and lacking in energy. Do you have experience to the contrary? Seems they don't hold value well either; a quick search showed one sold last year on fleabay for £880 which makes it something of a bargain purchase if it ticks all the boxes I'm looking for. Forgot to mention my music tastes range from female vocal to thumping psytrance and all types of electronica and rock aswell.

What do you think?

robin

Good bye
Wammer Plus
Dec 6, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the best answer is have a bake off, get to hear lots of amps, and have a fun day

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Robin's right. Have a bake off and listen to as many as you can.

At that price, if I could find one, the Bryston B100 would offer much of what you're looking for.

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What pre amp are you using or are you running DS direct into the 5125 and using digital volume. Adding something like an Akurate or Exotik pre will be an improvement.I haven't hear a 5125 but by all accounts it's quite an accomplished power amp. If you are looking to change the power amp the next step Linn wise would be a twin, but why not go the route I have.

I've changed all my amplification to Lejonklou, a Kikkin pre (but only allows 1 source) and a Tundra power amp, I preferred it to a twin and it's 1/3rd the price
I've tried running DS direct in to Linn 5125 and also through Audiolab 8000AP 5.1 bypass. Both reasonably similar in SQ. Only thing I couldn't do was try the Neat's bi-amped in to the 5125 as I didn't have enough IC's and speaker cable at the time and my demo pair are back at the dealers whilst I wait for my new 4i's to arrive.

Not wanting to go down the Linn route as although they're an excellent amp I find that there is a missing 1% that I don't seem to connect with. Can't put my finger on what it is but the Exposure connected with me, I just would like that detail of separation more. :doh:

The Lejonklou would probably put me over budget I think and later on I'd like to add an Oppo or similar and play movies through the analogue out in two channel as I feel the 4i's will certainly fill my room with enough entertainment and the one source idea wouldn't work, although I suppose I could optical out from bluray into DS possibly? :dunno:

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the best answer is have a bake off, get to hear lots of amps, and have a fun day
My dealer suggested this at his place to see what appealed to my ears, spend a few hours drinking coffee then take home the best one to see how it worked in my room; although not so easy with s/h stuff, unless some kindly wammers in Kent can oblige? I'm house trained and have all my hygiene certificates up to date... :D

B

BD Audio

This is great advice, you may be quite surprised at the amount of members willing to bring their equipment for you to try in your own system and the social side is excellent too.

On a side line I would like to thank you for sending our parcels safely to customers Parcelmonkey. Keep up the work. ;-)

ERICLIMPIT

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2013
Oxon / Bucks border
AKA
Roger
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about a fantastic pair of J Wood mono blocks? you're more than welcome to demo mine, I think you'll find they will be a step up from those mentioned above.

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is great advice, you may be quite surprised at the amount of members willing to bring their equipment for you to try in your own system and the social side is excellent too_On a side line I would like to thank you for sending our parcels safely to customers Parcelmonkey. Keep up the work. ;-)
That if others would be willing to help make it happen would be great. Although still got to get cracking on with decorating the room...

Oops not THE 'Parcelmonkey' just A parcelmonkey - spent years working for DHL, then Yodel. Now as a medical courier. Avatar is 98% me, just i'm slightly less hairy in real life!

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about a fantastic pair of J Wood mono blocks? you're more than welcome to demo mine, I think you'll find they will be a step up from those mentioned above.
Thanks, very kind of you. I'd take that option for the experience once I'm sorted decorating wise, unless you are selling them asap? Only thing I'm not sure if I can live with owning valve amps? What are they like day to day? I always perceive them as an elitist type of product; you know fettling them, bias etc.

B

BD Audio

Oops not THE 'Parcelmonkey' just A parcelmonkey - spent years working for DHL, then Yodel. Now as a medical courier. Avatar is 98% me, just i'm slightly less hairy in real life!
:D You'll fit right in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles