Amp to drive 86db 4ohm speakers

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've bought some nice Audio Physic Sparks from the wam :) Unfortunately, they sound terrible with my NAD 3020...don't know if it's not driving them properly, but it's a horrible combination. Sound great with my Behringer A500 :) but I need that for another system.

So - what should I buy? Apparently the speaker impedance barely falls below 4ohm - so not *that* hard a load - but if the experience with my NAD is anything to go by a bit of power wouldn't hurt. Thinking of getting an old AV amp - an in-built DAC would be handy, and I don't know if any of the newer one's offer decent room correction for a stereo system or I'd be better with a separate box for that?

Happy to buy used. Budget's a couple of hundred (given that I'll just buy another Behringer if I don't find something I like) - though could add another couple of hundred if it's an all-singing box with DAC plus decent room correction (oh, and streaming wouldn't hurt...) that will stop me buying other bits later! Any suggestions?

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On such a tight budget with so many possible jobs to do, maybe one of the many second hand audiolab or musical fidelity units around, pre or m dac plus a power amp to suit taste,lots around , older naim units abound and I hear they work on audio Physic , maybe one of the bigger nad or arcam power amps that are difficult to sell on second hand due to market saturation.

I have no experience of Audio Physic so just throwing out examples of the huge amount of good second hand kit, but I think the audiolabs and benchmark type pre's are cheap quality kit second hand, tech heads always selling on last years big thing to fund this years.

if you really need room correction badly, maybe the speakers are not happy in your listening room. Don't beringer make pre's with basic room correction, or is it just a flash graphic equaliser.

Maybe the filters in kit like audiolab et al might do the trick as far as noise shaping is concerned.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't really need room correction - more that I've never tried it before and the room's far from ideal, so thought I might have a play if I could get it built into the amp :) Sounding like the best thing might be to either get a good stereo amp and sort out the rest later on or get an 'out of date' high end AV amp and use for stereo.

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
The 3020 is only 20 watts output ,I don't think that is going to be enough to drive the speakers properly, I would look for a more powerful amp ideally one that doubles its output and the impedance halves.

Keith.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In theory that wouldn't be a bad aim Keith. :^ I do suspect at the given budget finding an amp that actually manages to do that may be something of a struggle. :? I completely agree that a decently powerful amp would be sensible + would add something that can swing a good amount of current too. So a good starting point for Jon would be to look at real world 4ohm wattage figures for amps as this is what his speakers are actually going to see from the amp. I'd suggest something that is known to be stable into lower loads & 120 watts per channel upwards into 4ohms wouldn't be overkill IMV & there'd be no harm in summat that can swing around 30 amps of current give or take a little. :rockin:

An Audiolab 8000p might do in a pinch & should have enough grunt, but I'd be looking at other marques fer pre-amps as their powers are rather held back by their anodyne/tonally flat pre-amps although they're not bad in terms of features.

The 3020 is only 20 watts output ,I don't think that is going to be enough to drive the speakers properly, I would look for a more powerful amp ideally one that doubles its output and the impedance halves.Keith.

naxos10

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2009
Staffordshire
AKA
Alan
The NAD pre was supposd to be pretty decent and feeding that into a power amp would leave you room for ugrading to a pre that meets your needs at a later date.

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Might as well pimp my own kit, the exposure might well be ideal as a get going integrated, large dollops of current, been driving a mates ns1000 with ease. Add second hand phono and voila.

Now £200 before put on other outlets, comes with exposure speaker cables.

Very musical bit of kit, lives up to its reputation.

Ganders

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2007
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another recommendation for the Exposure,tis an excellent amp,plenty powerful enough to sort out your speakers,and a proper bargain to boot-buy it before someone else does is my twopennerth!

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 3020 is only 20 watts output ,I don't think that is going to be enough to drive the speakers properly, I would look for a more powerful amp ideally one that doubles its output and the impedance halves.Keith.
Thanks. I don't think it was clipping - sounded shite even when quiet - but really wasn't a good match!

- - - Updated - - -

In theory that wouldn't be a bad aim Keith. :^ I do suspect at the given budget finding an amp that actually manages to do that may be something of a struggle. :? I completely agree that a decently powerful amp would be sensible + would add something that can swing a good amount of current too. So a good starting point for Jon would be to look at real world 4ohm wattage figures for amps as this is what his speakers are actually going to see from the amp.
Actually, then, wonder if a Behringer might be the easiest bet - the a500 can put out ~180W into 4 ohms before it starts clipping, and the one I've tried with the speakers works fine. Then just add a cheap pre, or use the 3020...

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another recommendation for the Exposure,tis an excellent amp,plenty powerful enough to sort out your speakers,and a proper bargain to boot-buy it before someone else does is my twopennerth!
Thanks - looks like the exposure's highly recommended! Anyone know the spec? Just a bit wary about ending up with something underpowered again...

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it's a proper original NAD 3020 like mine (was - I gave it to appreciative friend) and it doesn't work, try great cheapest new Naim or current-capable new Marantz. Or consider that the loudspeaker-sys needs sorting. Enjoy your choices/sound.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it's a proper original NAD 3020 like mine (was - I gave it to appreciative friend) and it doesn't work, try great cheapest new Naim or current-capable new Marantz. Or consider that the loudspeaker-sys needs sorting. Enjoy your choices/sound.
Thanks - speakers sound very good with Behringer, just not with NAD...so hopefully a new amp will sort it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles