Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Would be good to hear a few more ideas please! Thanks
if you'd like to hear an actual amp, I see you're in Nottingham - you'd be welcome to pop round and listen to my 303 with P3s. I'm 8 miles east of the city centre. Still doesn't meet your connectivity requirements though !

Reactions: antonio66 and DomT

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Would be good to hear a few more ideas please! Thanks
if you'd like to hear an actual amp, I see you're in Nottingham - you'd be welcome to pop round and listen to my 303 with P3s. I'm 8 miles east of the city centre. Still doesn't meet your connectivity requirements though !

Reactions: DomT

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There’s an Audio Research VS55 on epay for £50 more than budget. 
Thanks. I bought the VS115 and an LS25mk2 back in 2008. A wonderful sound but I am not keen to go back to valves for the power amp section. Whilst I love the sound I don’t love the heat (as in this set up I listen nearfield) nor the biasing or maintenance. Prefer SS these days. If I was to go valves something like Primaluna look interesting as they allow valve swapping and have autobias.  I prefer the 6550 over the 34 though.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks so much for the very kind offer Ian. The ARC preamp is going through the dealer’s workshop and so when I can actually get hold of it in a couple of week’s time I shall be in touch. 

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With that sort of budget you’re spoilt for choice on the second hand market

i used a musical fidelity AC3r pre  into my quad 405 and 606 and it was great 

or a Roksan Caspian

Until anything is hooked up you will never know what it sounds like

..spend the other £1000 on quality interconnects
You are quite right but I can’t just try pot luck and then sell on again each week. Hopefully will get a decent shortlist of recommendations on here. It’s such as shame that the Quads have the impedance that they have otherwise I would just buy another (temporary) 909.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A bit left field but I saw an MF integrated with a preamp-in section so that it can be used as a power amp. It’s the M6si. Is this any good? The versatility could be interesting. 

Last edited by a moderator:

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While looking at Radient Red's Copland recommendation, I noticed this T & A amp T+A Amp 8 Stereo Power Amplifier | eBay  One that you may well over look, but T & A have a warmish sound, and this amp was given good reviews.  I see it's being sold by Studio A/V, give them a call and ask for Dominic, speak with him about your needs and see what he says regarding this amp, may well reduce the price for you.
Just read up more about this and it seems that it sounds very clean and is the wrong direction for me.

Firebottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 13, 2020
The Black Country
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting Colin, perhaps supporting equipment or speakers have a part to play.

Mind you we all 'hear' a little differently. Proves the axiom listen before you buy.

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting Colin, perhaps supporting equipment or speakers have a part to play.

Mind you we all 'hear' a little differently. Proves the axiom listen before you buy.
Yes absolutely. I did not find the ice power bad, just felt the Hypex were smoother/ warmer/ more to my taste :)  

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I haven't enough experience of the Hypex to give a considered opinion, but I wonder if the different ICE variants have some part to play as well. I've got a 50ASX-2 here that I bought and cased up for hot weather listening and I have to say it does nothing for me at all. It's hardly a fair comparison, but up against the 845 it's really rather muted and dull sounding. I wouldn't describe it as 'warm' at all, just rather lifeless.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Just read up more about this and it seems that it sounds very clean and is the wrong direction for me.
You asked if I had heard this amp, the answer is no, but we've had a T & A intergrated on loan before, my initial impression was a cross between valve and ss, you've only got to read posts about ICE amps earlier and how two/three people differ with their opinions on sound. I shall continue to keep a look out, at what's on the market 2nd hand.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do not know what ARC preamp you are considering but most of them kick out 1.75 volts (so with a Quad amp you will need Rothwell attenuators).

So whatever power amp you are looking for remember to check the input sensitivity if you want it to match well with the ARC.   

I use a Hafler DH200 with my ARC SP9 and an attenuator (the Hafler only needs one volt) and it has been a 20 year marriage for me (although I am going to try a Hypex unit at some time in the future to form my own opinion).

I would check google for what the dealers are selling second hand .. Emporium usually has some stuff to wet your whistle you can browse here http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pages/pre-owned-hi-fi-list.html then google reviews etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles