Linn Owners

An idiots guide to integrating a subwoofer required...

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK, go easy on me you lot! I'm a subwoofer virgin but I'm here to learn.

My current Exakt setup sounds great to me and I don't really think it's deficient in the bass department. But, I hear so many people exulting the virtues of adding a subwoofer to their system, even if they already have big floor standing loudspeakers such as Linn 350's or Keltiks. People seem to report an improvement across the whole sound spectrum with the addition of a subwoofer. I want to try this for myself.

With this in mind I've recently purchased a secondhand Linn Majik 126 to experiment with. Long term my intention is to incorporate this into my Akurate System Hub/Akurate Exaktbox-I/Ninka system. However, whilst I wait for an Exaktbox Sub to become available to integrate the sub with my Exakt system I thought I'd experiment with the 126 in my passive Sneaky/Katan setup first.

I've connected the subwoofer to the Sneaky's RCA outputs and it appears to work fine. I've also added it to my system using SO.

My Katan's in passive mode, according to Linn docs only go down as far as 75hz. My first question is, where do I set the roll-on of the sub? If the Katan's go down to 75kz should I set the 126 to start producing noise at 85hz, so there's a bit of crossover with the main speakers?

Also, I can set the Internal high pass frequency to various settings. That's the 'U' setting below. It states "Increasing the setting raises the lowest frequency produced by the unit". My second question is, why wouldn't you want it at the lowest setting of 18hz? If you have a subwoofer more bass is a good thing right? You wouldn't have bought one otherwise surely? Why would you want the bass to stop higher up the scale?

My third question relate to phase. How do I determine if I need to use the 'normal' or 'inverted' setting? 

Fourthly, Bass Equalisation ('B' below) states "Every one step increase in the setting applies an additional 3dBs at 30 Hz and below. (dB@30 Hz)". Am I right in thinking this is purely a volume control within the sub for frequencies below 30hz?

And finally (for now), should I be bunging the ports on the rear of the Katans whilst using the sub?

Many thanks!

Mike.

Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 22.05.43.png

Last edited by a moderator:

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My set up is different from yours in that I'm using an Akurate Kontrol AV. I did the crossover frequencies in the AK rather than at the Sizmik. Set the 126 to cut off at 75 Hz for starters. I can review my Sizmik settings later and report back.

Reactions: SnapperMike

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@SnapperMike Setting up a sub is a delicate task but rewarding when finished. I have integrated a REL but no Linn. So some degree of guesswork from my side:

1. I think @akamatsu’s advice is sound, start with 75 Hz. I’d say absolutely no overlap - at least in theory. 
2. Before this wonderful era of SO maybe the lower setting was a way to mitigate lower room modes. Of course you’ll need a big room to encounter problems with 18 Hz.

3. Set the phase by ear. Select the setting that results in most bass. Usually it is quite apparent which setting that is.

4. I have no idea, but your view on this seems reasonable.

5. Bunging makes the integration easier; you’ll get the same roll-off slope (dB/octave) for the main speakers as roll-on slope for the sub. However I tried this with my M109s and I felt the life was sucked out of them. It might be that the bung wasn’t totally air tight though. (There are no Linn bungs for the M109.)

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1. I think @akamatsu’s advice is sound, start with 75 Hz. I’d say absolutely no overlap - at least in theory. 
Thank you Hans.

Just so there's no confusion on my part, what you're describing is the 'L' setting above, the Internal Low Pass Frequency? If so, there is only the options of setting this to 55hz, 85hz or 130hz. Should I go 55hz or 85hz if the Katans are noted as going down to 75hz?

I'm also a little confused over the 'H' setting, the External Low Pass Frequency. It states that this is only for use when connected to a power amplifier. My Sneaky is using it's own integrated amp and so is this counted as a power amp in this context? If so, what figure should I set the Majik 126 to?

Mike.

DB1328

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
München
AKA
Jan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With Exakt it does it all for you 
That‘s almost right. 

• Finally you should adjust the output level of the subwoofer to provide the best integration with the main system

Parameter

Symbol

Value

Coarse Gain

G

User set (range 1 – 7)

Fine Gain

f

User set (range 0 – 4)

The better result with SO2+ is to use the right roll off. For my Akudoriks it’s 55 Hz. We asked Linn, what‘s the best way to integrate the 226.

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you Hans.

Just so there's no confusion on my part, what you're describing is the 'L' setting above, the Internal Low Pass Frequency? If so, there is only the options of setting this to 55hz, 85hz or 130hz. Should I go 55hz or 85hz if the Katans are noted as going down to 75hz?

I'm also a little confused over the 'H' setting, the External Low Pass Frequency. It states that this is only for use when connected to a power amplifier. My Sneaky is using it's own integrated amp and so is this counted as a power amp in this context? If so, what figure should I set the Majik 126 to?

Mike.
Sorry I didn’t read the table  :$

Yes it is the ‘L’ setting. Go for 55 Hz to start with. You can ‘fill the gap’ in the overall frequency response with the gain settings ‘G’ and ‘F’ (but it is wise to try other settings for ‘L’ as well).
The ‘H’ setting is applicable if you connect the main speakers (amplifiers) to the sub as you say. What I understand from what you are writing you are not. I don’t think this setting matters in that case. 

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would try the Internal Low Pass Frequency at 85 Hz.

"H" setting is set higher than default if you are passing through the signal from the preamp to a power amp that would serve the Katans. This would cut off signal to the Katans at specified frequency, such as 75 Hz.

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
"H" setting is set higher than default if you are passing through the signal from the preamp to a power amp that would serve the Katans
Thanks Michael.

So, as I'm using the internal amplification inside the Sneaky to drive the Katans,  this setting is not needed. Is that correct?

Mike.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Michael.

So, as I'm using the internal amplification inside the Sneaky to drive the Katans,  this setting is not needed. Is that correct?

Mike.
You are correct. If you were to use an external amp to drive the Katans, you could go pre-amp to 126 to power amp to Katans. Then you could have the signal that reaches the Katans be cut off at a specified frequency, such as 75 Hz.

Reactions: SnapperMike

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You are correct. If you were to use an external amp to drive the Katans, you could go pre-amp to 126 to power amp to Katans. Then you could have the signal that reaches the Katans be cut off at a specified frequency, such as 75 Hz.
Thank you Michael, I understand now.

Mike.

Reactions: akamatsu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online