Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve always liked the look of the A3 Sportback, so I had to try one. The local VW/Audi dealer got in an automatic one for me to try. Mrs. Tones has to have an automatic, and, I must confess that, in the 20 years with an Astra automatic, I’ve come to quite like it myself, as befits an elderly Quad pipe-and-slippers type, I guess.

The dealer pointed out where things were. “Do you know about the handbrake?” “Of course, I know about the…er, what handbrake? – THAT’S A HANDBRAKE???” There’s this funny wee switch where a lever ought to be. He explained how it worked, and left me to it. So key in, turn and …nothing. Once more with feeling…no feeling. I was about to exhibit my total incompetence to the world by getting him back to start it, when it occurred to me that this handbrake thing might have something to do with it. So, I pressed the brake pedal, turned, and the tacho needle jumped as a muted noise came from somewhere up front – and we were off and running.

Well, almost. When the motor started, out of the dash majestically arose this black monolithic object (I could hear the “2001” music in my head). Instead of whirly patterns on its surface, as per the Clark novel, the monolith produced a list of local radio stations, one of which started to play very non-Zarathustran noises at excessive volume. So, being a traditionalist, I reached for the volume knob in the traditional place, and changed from the radio station “20°” to the altogether cooler station “18°”, but both continued to play the same uncool tune at the same uncool volume. Where was the on-off switch? Eventually, by trial and error (mainly the latter) I located the volume knob, hiding beside the apology for a handbrake and turned it right down.

When whatever-it-is comes chez Tones, I’m going to have to learn to brake all over again – you blow on the pedal of cars these days and the things stand on their snouts. Apart from that, the A3 felt, well, Astra-like, in that within a very short distance, I felt completely at home in it. The seat was comfy, the driving position was nice, the steering had nice feel (the wheel itself was covered in switches of indeterminate function, which I avoided in case one operated the ejector seat). I only scared myself once – at a set of traffic lights, when the thing appeared to turn itself off. I sat there wishing fervently that I’d worn my brown trousers – considering how much fun I had starting the thing in the quietness of the dealer’s car park, how was I going to cope with a bunch of impatient, horn-happy Swiss behind me? But all was well – when I pressed the loud pedal, off it went.

Because the dealer was busy, he didn’t have the time to accompany me, so he sent me off in it alone. This meant that I could have a decent run. So I took it up to the village where we live, over the wiggly-waggly road from the village to the autobahn in the next valley and then down the autobahn to the dealer. It felt very nice on the wiggly-waggly road, except with the 1.4 engine hardly murmuring on the steep hill whereas the Astra’s engine would have been much louder (accentuated by a loose baffle in the exhaust that I was too mean to have fixed). Swooshing down the autobahn at 120 (k!), it was commendably quiet – but surprisingly not THAT much quieter than the Astra. Different quality of noise – wind noise almost completely absent, but more low frequency stuff, presumably from the big tyres. Also surprisingly, when I hit the loud pedal for acceleration, there was a noticeable lag before anything happened (turbo+automatic?), then the muted hum became much more purposeful and the speedometers (there’s a digital readout too) shot up like the needle of a bathroom scale stood on by Mr. Creosote.

So I left it back and headed off to Zürich in the Astra, where I had a delivery to make to the younger ladies. I marvelled again at how (from my point of view), those Opel engineers had got so much so right 20 years ago, and how much I was going to miss this car. But I’d be very happy with an A3 as its successor. On the other hand, this is essentially a tarted-up Golf sold at a premium price and presumably with premium prices for service and spares. It will be a Company car, but then the company in question consists of me, and I’d be doing the pa(y)in(g). Might a Golf be just as good? That’s next week’s episode…

• Upvote
Reactions: moggy58

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm guessing Euro-cars are more prevalent in Swissland? Otherwise you'd have a choice of choice Japanned vehicles too?

And there's something to be said for lower tech cars; less to fail? (And repair in guineas)

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm guessing Euro-cars are more prevalent in Swissland? Otherwise you'd have a choice of choice Japanned vehicles too?And there's something to be said for lower tech cars; less to fail? (And repair in guineas)
Because Swizzieland has no car industry to protect, everything comes in here on equal terms, so one can get virtually anything. Indeed, the Japanese makes are very popular here, not only Toyota and Honda, but also Subaru. And we're seeing more and morte of the Koreans, Hyundai, Kia and even Ssanyong. A look at Hondas is definitely on the cards, ditto Toyota, and possibly that new Suzuki. The Subarus I fancy are a bit on the big side.

moggy58

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Excellent and very humorous review Tony.

Was recently looking at the A3 to replace my 10 yr old Civic Type R... I must be getting old:doh:.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
If you are looking at the A3 and the Golf, I would definitely take a look at the redesigned Seat Leon. I haven't driven it but the redesign looks super sharp to my eyes. It's probably a good few € cheaper than the Golf too.

G

If you are looking at the A3 and the Golf, I would definitely take a look at the redesigned Seat Leon. I haven't driven it but the redesign looks super sharp to my eyes. It's probably a good few € cheaper than the Golf too.
+1, really nice looking car.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no need to, no desire to, and no intention of buying any of these. However, a close friend is, so I've recently had the (not) pleasure of driving a fair few in this range on her insistence that I give my opinion.

My opinion is simple. Frankly, I'd rather stick my knob in a food processor than buy any of them out of my own money. If it's a company car and you are restricted, then fair enough, though even under those circumstances I'd consider death as a viable alternative.

In the back of my mind I'd somehow imagined that things in this sector have moved on massively. They haven't. Not one of the crap-boxes I drove gave anywhere near the pleasure that I got from a MkI Golf GTi 1800 about 30 years ago. Of course, passive and active safety is much better and there are now multifarious options to play with innumerable buttons, dials, switches and touch-screen controls. None of which matter a toss. They all feel like buckets of lard. Basically, because they are,

Overweight, overpriced, underenjoyable dross.

Out of them all, I'd buy any Honda with a V-Tec, simply because if the company is paying, then you can at least get some aural enjoyment by revving the tits off it at every opportunity until it blows up.

Quite frankly, all the cars in this class that I have sampled so far have been the most uninspiring heaps of shit I have ever had the displeasure to try.

Now, coming frm someone with a SAAB 9-3, that's saying something. But it's still true.

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
In one of their numerous comparison tests, the Auto Build actually ranked the current Golf ahead of the Audi. The redesigned Seat (another Golf clone) came quite close, especially in driving enjoyment. If you could stretch the budget - have you test driven the Mazda CX5?

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I test drove A3, Golf and Leon. As company paying, I was leaning to Audi before the drives. It was last. I got the Leon.
What made you go for the Leon, Sam? (There's a Seat dealer just down the road from the Opel dealer where we bought the Astra 20 years ago).

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no need to, no desire to, and no intention of buying any of these. However, a close friend is, so I've recently had the (not) pleasure of driving a fair few in this range on her insistence that I give my opinion.My opinion is simple. Frankly, I'd rather stick my knob in a food processor than buy any of them out of my own money. If it's a company car and you are restricted, then fair enough, though even under those circumstances I'd consider death as a viable alternative.

In the back of my mind I'd somehow imagined that things in this sector have moved on massively. They haven't. Not one of the crap-boxes I drove gave anywhere near the pleasure that I got from a MkI Golf GTi 1800 about 30 years ago. Of course, passive and active safety is much better and there are now multifarious options to play with innumerable buttons, dials, switches and touch-screen controls. None of which matter a toss. They all feel like buckets of lard. Basically, because they are,

Overweight, overpriced, underenjoyable dross.

Out of them all, I'd buy any Honda with a V-Tec, simply because if the company is paying, then you can at least get some aural enjoyment by revving the tits off it at every opportunity until it blows up.

Quite frankly, all the cars in this class that I have sampled so far have been the most uninspiring heaps of shit I have ever had the displeasure to try.

Now, coming frm someone with a SAAB 9-3, that's saying something. But it's still true.
One of our patent attorneys has a Saab 9-3, Richard - it's a rather nice car, even though it's (as I understand it) a camouflaged Vauxhall Vectra. Of course, there was nothing wrong with them ( I have very plebeian tastes - I gave up reading "Autocar" reports, because I got sick of cars being marked down for lacking "sporting characteristics", as if we're all closet Sebastian Vettels ). Anyway, at least it has not caused you to modify your diet significantly, so it must be OK.

- - - Updated - - -

In one of their numerous comparison tests, the Auto Build actually ranked the current Golf ahead of the Audi. The redesigned Seat (another Golf clone) came quite close, especially in driving enjoyment. If you could stretch the budget - have you test driven the Mazda CX5?
Isn't that quite big? (By "big" I mean something that won't fit easily in our rather crammed garage).

Samantha

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2007
South Lincolnshire
AKA
Samantha
What made you go for the Leon, Sam? (There's a Seat dealer just down the road from the Opel dealer where we bought the Astra 20 years ago).
Much better to drive, set up for better handling, prefered the styling, but very Importantly, the seat was tonnes better.

Audi had bad passenger footwell intrusion, hard settings on dampers but wallowed in corners, Golf was competant but dull (better than the a3 though) and the Leon actually gave a good shot at being fun.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Much better to drive, set up for better handling, prefered the styling, but very Importantly, the seat was tonnes better.Audi had bad passenger footwell intrusion, hard settings on dampers but wallowed in corners, Golf was competant but dull (better than the a3 though) and the Leon actually gave a good shot at being fun.
Thanks, Sam. Not really into handling (very sedate, non-racy driver more interested in extracting the best mpg). I detected no Audi wallowing in corners, but perhaps I don't go around them sufficiently quickly to notice - certainly on our wiggly-waggly road en route to the autobahn it was the model of composure (at my speeds).

Funny, I initially misread your "the seat was tonnes better" in conjunction with one of my obsessions, and thought immediately "But the Audi has Recaros!" Of course, if I got a Seat, there'd be sufficient lolly for a seat (or two) of the Recaro persuasion.

However, you've convinced me that I have to try one. Thank you (the list grows steadily longer...)

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You need to check the dimensions, but it may be bit too big. Still worth trying - what do you have to lose?
It's a lot too big - it's enormously wide (1840mm). 1800 is pretty much my upper width limit. So, thank you for the thought, but not worth while looking at.

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Richard is right (you WERE sitting down?)

My memory of the original Citroen AX GT still sparkles. Light, fun, nippy, direct....then they added lbs.....and then made a Saxo.

The current fat lot seem to be 'matressed' to the max.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
This is to try and avoid the bothersome situation where your legs need amputating at the scene of an accident.

Strangely, most drivers if asked would prefer this state of affairs. Something the Wam's wannabee Tommi Makinens might want to remember.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Not all cars are this way. The Jimny (launched 1968) is so ludicrously unsafe that Suzuki don't dare even submit it for NCAP testing. Almost any kind of accident in a Jimny will result in the certain death of all occupants. Also, the seat belt on mine doesn't retract properly, so I never wear it. And the air bag failure light keeps coming on. Oh well, I don't suppose they would have helped much.

Samantha

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2007
South Lincolnshire
AKA
Samantha
Tones, I did mean the seat was better, as in, what you sit on. It offered better support and the Audi seat was rather wide.The driving position adjustment in the Leon could be set such that long distance drives were no matter. I didnt find the Audi as good with that. The better support could just be that it fit me better, but my partner at the time agreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles