HIFI Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers

volante

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2008
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These don't come up very often and so far as I am aware no longer made.These are the later model than the original 3.1's, incorporating the well reviewed Strada Reference mid and tweeter units. Easy to accommodate in a smaller room than the usual large boxes, with high WAF factor.
Seller also has a lot of other Gallo stuff including the special Gallo bass amp.
I have no connection

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234743726186?hash=item36a7d1006a:g:e8EAAOSwj~RjUYjX&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoAycnZox2vPZdSfhH1mA/0k4RG7Bw/kRhb8yjaOTl95rNGRVuCiYXLoWFYfbqVSG2XapJhpZGY1o/aLrN5h2jIi9sBohdFllUHFg3oOiePDXOGWmFiGH3cgkAC3BjElNimZfEHtjUzFVI9sJ+7PEGAwQtGQuKIfXli1q3NcSgoGQm/Bls4FXV5IA8OM40isBOF45f1/a0qBAC3cJd31LW0Q=|tkp:Bk9SR_Df6qSDYQ

Reactions: Roo and Psilonaught

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was disappointed when I heard a (probably) older version of these.

I found them rolled off in the treble and uninspiring. I was surprised, I'd expected to like them.

I can think of countless speakers I'd prefer to these for 3k.
Maybe these are later versions and better, but it would have to be a substantial change.

Definitely have a listen first is my advice.

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I recall you mentioning that, a while back.
Was suprised especially as your MBLs are omni, as is the tweeter on the Gallos, plus others' reactions are contrary. Luckily, I can't be tempted now! (I think.....)

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do like the looks a lot, and as you say the reviews / online comments are fairly universally positive.
I was expecting to be wowed. They'd been on my Wish List for a long time.

I only had a single listen. Maybe the tweeters were disconnected. It really did sound quite like it to me. (No, I think they were working as intended).

Maybe just a synergy or mood thing, I might have a totally different opinion if I heard them again.

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
'Though the improvement is subtle, the new tweeter has also made the sound more coherent. Conductor Andrew Litton is an audiophile who has sunk more cash into his stereo system than he would like his wife to know about. That’s where he checks the quality of his own recordings, and he has a keen ear. His recording, with the Bergen Philharmonic, of the three suites from Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet (CD, BIS 1301) has both subtlety and power, and is simple and lucid enough to be a fine test of a stereo system. The ability of the Gallo’s CDT3 tweeter to be at one with the speaker’s midrange drivers let me see just that bit deeper into the soundstage.'
From soundstage review.
Might explain the Treble anomaly?

Reactions: JANDL100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles