Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thinking about getting back into 'mountain' biking after about 10 years
biggrin.png
. i'm looking for a hardtail around the £1K mark (though something for less is always welcomed). must support a er, rather large frame (6'4") and put up with a fair amount of abuse (on and off-road). any thoughts on a particular brand (had a specialized before) and where i could get a decent deal in the UK, or abroad, would be appreciated.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
s2000db wrote:

They have excellent (unbeatable) spec for the money..http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360026030

Please feel free to ask any questions..
That looks like great spec for the money..

It's also worth checking eBay - I bought a Cannondale F800 with single sided front fork and XTR drivetrain complete with spare set of wheels for £600, barely used )new they're about £1500 with that spec..)

Other good hardtails you may get 2nd hand for the money are Orange P7, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Cove Stiffee etc..

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I need an MTB just to cope with the roads round here
biggrin.png

This one has served me well.

Bicycle.jpg

More of a hybrid than a true MTB. It's light and quick.

That Cannondale sounds like a stonking buy Leonard.

A mate of mine had a full suspension Cannondale for downhilling. Great bike.

Picard

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
s2000db wrote:

Hi I'm into mtb and have used full suspension for quite a while (Whytes), have just bought a couple of hardtails that have excellent review in what mtb recently.They have excellent (unbeatable) spec for the money..

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360026030

you don't by any chance have a copy of that review? been out of the market so long i have no idea what's good. thanks for tip above.

The Swedish Chef

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2005
Göteborg, , Sweden
AKA
Philip
the gary fisher frames suit taller riders well, i'm 185, (6"2 ish) and find it tracks nicely down hills and the front wheel doesn't lift uphills. other than that specialized always fit extremely well, no matter what size

S

s2000db

Picard wrote:

s2000db wrote:
Hi I'm into mtb and have used full suspension for quite a while (Whytes), have just bought a couple of hardtails that have excellent review in what mtb recently.They have excellent (unbeatable) spec for the money..

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360026030

you don't by any chance have a copy of that review? been out of the market so long i have no idea what's good. thanks for tip above.
There's an abbreviated version here http://www.wiggle.co.uk/RecommededProducts.aspx?Cat=cycle&CategoryName=Hard%20Tail%20MTBs

or it's in May07 What Mountain Bike, or pm me your email and I'll scan you a copy, cheers Dana

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
You could build a nice XCbike for that money around the Orange P7 frame (around £350 for just the frame). Yes steel might sound old fashion, but's its a lovely responsive frame and great for long distances.

A

Alex A

Buy the one that best suits your riding posture. Go to a showroom and try them out.

Picard

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Testure wrote:

You could build a nice XCbike for that money around the Orange P7 frame (around £350 for just the frame). Yes steel might sound old fashion, but's its a lovely responsive frame and great for long distances.
just how easy is this? for some reason, it appeals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hczxynbvtr