Anybody got a good pair of XLR cables I could try ?

Pure_Carbon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2009
Englishman in Wales.
AKA
Lord Lucan (Oops...)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just bought a rather tasty CD player, with XLR outs , and am finding the bass a little ploddy and boomy.

Only on the CD, not the Vinyl.

It wasn't boomy with the digital source I *was* using which was connected via Coax.

I am however, using a pair of fairly cheap cables.

I'm wondering if a better pair with less nasty plastic connectors would make a difference.

Is this a "do cables change the sound " thread..... if so, sorry ! :doh:

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hmm, don't you think it's a lot more likely to be the new CD player than the cables? :dunno: Does it have RCA outputs as well? Why not try them with your old cables?

Pure_Carbon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2009
Englishman in Wales.
AKA
Lord Lucan (Oops...)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a thought, but the Opus 21 isn't known for big flabby boomy bass.

Also the same sound when I use my Squeezebox into the Digital In on the DAC on the new beastie.

I'll go up into the loft and see if there's any decent RCAs knocking about!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, the Opus came from me and I have to say that one thing I could never accuse it of was slow, flabby or boomy bass. If anything, almost the opposite. It's quite an 'analogue' sound, but I always found the bass to be quite fast and tight.

Might be worth trying a cheapo DIN to RCA cable and using the DIN out on the Opus straight into the pre. The DIN out bypasses the digital volume control section and this might have an effect.

- - - Updated - - -

Trying it single-ended is also a thought. Balanced vs single-ended connection can expose strange differences at times.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you want balanced cables with solid-looking connectors (even if just for longevity/aesthetics) you can get metal connectors on cheap-ish 'pro' cables. I've got a pair with metal connectors - ran to under a tenner iirc. Welcome to a loan if you'd like a play, though don't imagine they'd resolve your problem with bass.

f1eng

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Wantage, U K
AKA
Frank
As a "simplest possible analogue signal path" type of person I always use single ended rather than balanced cables unless in a high (electrical) noise environment. Worth a try! Mind you I would be surprised if it gave a bass transformation.

Pure_Carbon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2009
Englishman in Wales.
AKA
Lord Lucan (Oops...)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Boomy bass is more likely to be a speaker/ room interaction issue, Keith.
The Vinyl sounds fantastic, and the transport and DAC that came out had no bass issues.

>>As a "simplest possible analogue signal path" type of person I always use single ended rather than balanced cables unless in a high (electrical) noise environment. Worth a try! Mind you I would be surprised if it gave a bass transformation.

I've had a PM from a fellow wammer who's suggesting the higher output from the Balanced outs on the Opus may be upsetting the pre.

I'll bob some RCAs onto the Opus and see if that makes a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles