Anyone ‘downsized’ to a Super Integrated amp?

Thetiminator

Painfully Virile
Wammer
Nov 12, 2012
In the doghouse :(
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just wondering is anyone has any experience of moving from high end pre/power amps to a big integrated with built in DAC like Mark Levinson, Luxman or Accuphase?
I’d be interested to hear how good these integrated amps are compared to multiple boxes….I’d love to tidy my system up if these amps could compete..
Cheers
TT.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes had a good number of integrated that competed well against pre power .certainly the thrax enyo integrated was stunning and easily match the pretty expensive msb amp here . Silbatone 109 superb too and i reckon could give arc pre and pwer a run for the money

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've downgraded to integrated but the pre before was a decent resistor based passive so not really comparable. My integrated has an Alps pot so I'm not sure the pre stage is as good as the power but I've not spent much time comparing as I'm trying to get away from tweaking and just listening to music again.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I’ve had many of both. Not mega dollar stuff but was interesting time with them all the same.

Had Accuphase 305-306 for a short time. Thought the 5 was nicer. Had nad m3 musical fidelity 308, m3 . My favourite, if you’re not bothered about power too much is the mf A1000. It’s just got something special. Really really, underrated with reasonably sensitive speakers.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I’ve had many of both. Not mega dollar stuff but was interesting all the same.

Had Accuphase 305-306 for a short time. Thought the 5 was nicer. Had nad m3 musical fidelity 308, m3 . My favourite, if you’re not bothered about power too much is the mf A1000. It’s just got something special. Really really, underrated with reasonably sensitive speakers

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Luxman don’t have an inbuilt DAC, just phono stage. It’s a costly optional extra with Accuphase. Their high end units do come pretty close to the separates though by all accounts.

Reactions: newlash09

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I shifted from pre-power, both modern high-end and vintage, to the integrated amplifiers I use now. I don't feel I enjoy music any less than I did.

The key, as always, is how well your amplifer matches your speakers and how they match your room; I don't think the topology of the amplifier is anywhere near as important as those two factors.

Sir_Franc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 10, 2005
East Sussex
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm now using a Jeff Rowland Continuum S2 though it doesn't have a built-in Dac. Initially I had a lot of trouble with it sounding flat and lifeless, no top or bottom end, yet detail was noticeably better than my dac in to monoblock combo that it replaced. A lot of messing around with speaker placement and room treatment has really helped improve both ends and soundstage. The S2 is a digital design so in my view does lack some body to the sound and doesn't really give the space (yet) and sparkle to the top end as I've experienced with other amps, but maybe with more playing this will improve.
I really like the convenience of a single box amp with fewer cables to possibly degrade the sound. It also sounds faster than my previous multi-box amps.

Carlbkk1

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 27, 2014
Bangkok
AKA
Carl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, I've done it recently. I changed Pass Labs XA60.5 monos/Modwright pre to a Jeff Rowland Concentra, and then to an Audionet DNA2. The DNA2 has a streamer and DAC built in. It's a real step up in sound quality despite the multi-functions....giving more separation and levels to the music and also tightening bass. I haven't tried the Pass Labs in this room so can't compare, but the Audionet offers cost/space savings and definitely enough power for the fairly high volumes and lively music I like to play.

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just wondering is anyone has any experience of moving from high end pre/power amps to a big integrated with built in DAC like Mark Levinson, Luxman or Accuphase?
I’d be interested to hear how good these integrated amps are compared to multiple boxes….I’d love to tidy my system up if these amps could compete..
Cheers
TT.
I have a friend who sold his wonderful KR DHT valve preamp and a huge parasound A21 power Amp. And also his North star dac and got a McIntosh 8900 integrated Amp. He sold his exotic cables to get a aurender 100 something to stream to the dac inside the McIntosh. And I agree with him that it sounds close enough to his previous setup. Though replacing that KR DHT preamp won't be easy for any SS preamp, despite their pedigree. So I definitely sense a reduction of the previous sound stage size and imaging. But that's just me. He is happy having downsized and made it simpler for the family to use. Choices..choices...

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A good integrated amp has no reason not to be equal to a good preamp and power amp. It also should avoid any issues of suitable matching.

You could say the same about amplifiers with inbuilt DACs and phono stages. The only issue there (particularly with DACs) is future upgrades. Amplifiers can potentially last indefinitely with suitable care, but a look at the last few years suggests the progress of DAC technology still has a way to go.

Phono stages are somewhere in between, but in some cases inbuilt phono stages seem to be a bit 'bang for your buck' rather then serious quality. Not all though.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having done home demos and in store demos against Marantz PM10, Hegel 390, Norma 140 to my ears the current Accuphase E270 or better still the E380 would be two on my list for amp sonics. Importantly though there is a modular DAC and Phonostage so if in the future Accuphase do an upgrade you can er upgrade. Very sensible. @simon g owned an E270 and he also rated the DAC.

Last edited:

Minicoupeman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had several pre power in the past inc Naim. Very happy now with Goldnote 1000 ( inc updated DAC). No silly amounts to spend on cables. Half the footprint of pre power and perhaps much less if a DAC involved. Can’t see it being replaced and certainly not with lots of boxes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online