Anyone doing this?

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
Anyone using an audionote dac ( for USB duties) how do you do it and what do you think of the results?

i think AN dac's especially the 2.1x is a star. But no USB connections, so spill the beans

JezR

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to use an optical to coaxial converter for sometime on my dac 4 sig and it worked fine for AV duties (no sync issues) but i never tried it for music. I'll send you a couple of links to what you need but as to sound quality i don't know.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have the DAC 2.1x/II Balanced. USB is taken care of with a USB-to-S/PDIF converter. The current set-up is rather complex: I have a Behringer UCA-202 which connects into my Victor XP-DA999 via optical, along with all the other digital sources.

The Victor has a digital output on BNC, so it can be used as a source switch (I think it might re-clock as well, but hard to be sure because the manual is in Japanese. :doh: ) A BNC-to-RCA cable feeds this output into the unbalanced input of the Audio Note. For TV and films I save wear and tear on the valves and use the analogue output from the Victor.

A Behringer won't supply an AN DAC directly, because it only has optical. I also have a Musical Fidelity V-Link MkI which has RCA digital output so could be used direct. I don't use this, could probably be persuaded to sell it ... :D

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
Wow way too complicated and too many boxes and gadgets for me.

only wondering as i will be back at some stage but this time im going to get as much info as possible before i buy.

think the hi face has been used to good effect with an AN dac. Someone told me this a while back think it might have been Bigdur but not sure.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Ha ha, I only need all those boxes because I have lots of digital sources. For USB-only, a Hiface or V-link or similar would be all you need. FWIW, in my set-up all the digital sources sound exactly the same when playing the same material. Which is excellent, BTW. :D

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
Im sure it is excellent mate, some serious kit there, i have read about the victor before gets a lot of praise over the pond.

looks like its built like a tank too.

thanks for thr info

hermit

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2013
Glasgow
AKA
Paul
A hiface and 75ohm digital interconnect is all you need.

I'm just waiting on the delivery of a male xlr-rca digital interconnect so I can use both inputs on my dac. I want to see if I prefer the pc+hiface or the squeezebox as a transport.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a halide bridge. Tiny asynch usb convertor that plugs into my 4.1x Sig. Sounds superb. Fit n forget. Curious about the Audiophileo as well.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk 2

B

BD Audio

Wow way too complicated and too many boxes and gadgets for me. only wondering as i will be back at some stage but this time im going to get as much info as possible before i buy.

think the hi face has been used to good effect with an AN dac. Someone told me this a while back think it might have been Bigdur but not sure.
It was me, I've got some ex demo M2 bargains at the moment too!

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
OH stop it Jack!!!!

Unless you can take £20 a week mate im fecked at the mo :)

thats the route i want to go when i get sorted again hopfully sooner rather than later.

i have had a load of dacs in my system and some have been as good as the AN dac in most areas and a lot cheaper, but there is just something about AN gear, call it what you will distortion, rosy picture, whatever, but everythime i hear it i come away wanting it.

so no point in torturing oneself just go for it!

would buy one now if i had the cash without a second glance.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just thought I'd randomly sully the distinguished heights of the eqpmt being discussed here. :D

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this little beauty>>
41TWzsARCrL._SX385_.jpg
.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delock-USB-Sound-SPDIF-Adapter/dp/B0084CGO88/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371109476&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+to+spdif. £10-55 delivered from Amac***z

My new Synology DS213 Nas allows for outputting music files locally using one of its USB's to output digital audio @ up to 24bit/96khz. This is just fer me bedroom setup so ultimately SQ isn't that critical....as long as there are noooo obvious nasties I'll be pretty happy. :^

I already have one of those Diddy Fiio D3 Taishan 24/192 Dacs which has opti/coax inputs. The usb to SP/diff converter that I've linked to can manage up to 24/96khz, which is easily good enough for my current needs. The "Delok USB" outputs by a dual line/optical digital 3.5mm socket....which could turn out to be a better bet than coax as it will afford a degree of electrical isolation between the Nas & Dac........I'll prolly Fooo it up fer a laugh until my spare set of Atlas Titans sell & I'll use one of My QED performance Toslinks. So that'll be £420 RRP fer cables vs. £40 fer Dac H/W.......I predict full on uber inkiness. ;-)

Seriously tho' Ron pocket money bits of kit like this could still be in striking distance & could be enjoyable to mess around with whilst times are hard.

Really hope thing take a turn fer the better mate. :^

BR

C. :)

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
Cheers Chris mate.

i am just bored silly and am gathering info if and when i get turned around i will have my knowledge from the kit i have tried and listed to and a bit more from you guys.

At the Moment i have a wee cheap chi fi valve dac that does usb and a wee cheap teac amp, so i have music ( well sort of) just missing the hi end sounds i was used to with the art amp yba dac etc.

Thanks for the info and the kind thoughts mate. Appreciated

Ron

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:^ Less hallowed kit can often be surprisingly rewarding & often has a great fun factor. Its easier to be less angst ridden & judgmental when stuff only costs a few bob.

By any sensible standards the TEAC will be pretty decent in any case I would expect........Lol not by our own Wigwam 'Audio Nutter' standards mebbe:roll:. Are you using the TEAC with your O.B.'s right now?.

Sounds like you have the right plan & at least you still have your tooonz up & running. :cool: :stereo:

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Ron could you not just get a cheapish internal PCI audio card with a coax SPDIF output? I use one and run the output into my Chord DAC64 and am very happy with the results...

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
yeah i am at the moment sound is not great but ive heard worse at some shows with really hi end stuff so not bin material by a long chaulk. The Teac i got free ( thanks to a very kind wammer) and only £90 for the valve dac, ( again from the same guy) it plays music, its cheap and i don't have to worry about it so it was and still is very welcome.

Had a lot of offers for loaners and some free kit from wammers which was heart warming to say the least. no matter what some say this is a great forum. So thanks to all you guys that helped or offered to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Ron could you not just get a cheapish internal PCI audio card with a coax SPDIF output? I use one and run the output into my Chord DAC64 and am very happy with the results...
Hi Chris,

Not looking just wondering mate. I have a wee cheep usb dac im using at the mo ( see above post) i was just asking what others used if they had no usb in the dac they have, a lot of really nice maybe older dacs like the AN and Dax stuff dont have usb but with some sort of gadget can be utilised in that way.

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi Chris,

Not looking just wondering mate. I have a wee cheep usb dac im using at the mo ( see above post) i was just asking what others used if they had no usb in the dac they have, a lot of really nice maybe older dacs like the AN and Dax stuff dont have usb but with some sort of gadget can be utilised in that way.
I know that is why I suggested the internal PCI card - I am in the same situation as my Chord DAC doesnt have USB input so I bought me cheapish internal soundcard that has the coax SPDIF output so I can connect my PC to my DAC that way. It is your PC you are trying to connect to your DAC isnt it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online