Anyone done an internal rewire on a Rega arm?

G

Hi there, due to me breaking the cartridge tags and tag wires off my RB301 tonearm (it's fixed for now by a very patient radical, but I dare not touch it to change cartridges..... ) I really need to perform an internal rewire:nerves:. The lead out wires (RCA) are fine, they are the big chunky Rega ones.

Has anyone done this DIY? Any top tips, best materials and where from to use, I need to keep the cost down unfortunately:roll:.

Cheers guys,

Rob.

speedysteve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've not done a RB series but have done a couple of R200's, a PL-71 and a Alphason.

I've also fitted Cardas 5 pin plugs to a few so you can use other homebrew / exotic tonearm cables if the mood takes.

Can't remember that the bottom of the RB's is like for doing this though.

For good value I'd use copper litz. If you want to go Silver then Silver Litz is good - I have that in a couple of my arms.

There are kits on eBay for copper - silver seems like hens teeth! Cartridge push on connectors of various exoticness and price available there too.

I'm pretty sure in a blind test you would not be able to tell one connector type from another! :) - Tonearm wire is quite another thing though.

G

Thanks for the reply Steve, following your suggestion I've had a gander around eBay and your right, there's all sorts of kits......and searching further lots of advise on a few forums.

It looks quite tricky/fiddly and time consuming, hmmmmm, I'll have to set an evening aside I reckon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles