Linn Owners

Anyone experienced an Ekstatik failing?

Ian23

New Wammer
Feb 9, 2020
Hi, I recently had an Ekstatik fitted to my Ekos LP12 etc. Just running it in, and got to around 25hrs and then suddenly its only output is to one speaker. Diagnosed that it most likey the cartridge and not the Linto phono stage, as if I swap the L/R input leads, which speaker is working switches. Just curious if anyone else has experienced the same issue with an Ekstatik? Now waiting for a response from Linn about this and the quality control checking etc. DS Klimax is working fine, so it is not an issue elsewhere in the setup.

• Wow
Reactions: Roonster111

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, I recently had an Ekstatik fitted to my Ekos LP12 etc. Just running it in, and got to around 25hrs and then suddenly its only output is to one speaker. Diagnosed that it most likey the cartridge and not the Linto phono stage, as if I swap the L/R input leads, which speaker is working switches. Just curious if anyone else has experienced the same issue with an Ekstatik? Now waiting for a response from Linn about this and the quality control checking etc. DS Klimax is working fine, so it is not an issue elsewhere in the setup.
Maybe contact your dealer might be something simple like a cartridge tag loose.

Ian23

New Wammer
Feb 9, 2020
Yes thanks. Speaking with my dealer about the best way to get this replaced, and for Linn to confirm there is an issue with this cartridge, as it is the second one the dealer has encountered. Just wondered if there are any more out there, otherwise I am just very unlucky.

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes thanks. Speaking with my dealer about the best way to get this replaced, and for Linn to confirm there is an issue with this cartridge, as it is the second one the dealer has encountered. Just wondered if there are any more out there, otherwise I am just very unlucky.
You’re as unlucky as I was with Krystal’s I had two faulties one after the other with hundreds between the numbers.
Never again.(n)

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For your dealer to have encountered this problem twice is concerning. At least there should be no question of Linn replacing the cartridge (annoying though to have to wait for the replacement, and then to have to go through running in again from scratch). The Ekstatik I had on home-dem earlier this year (which had been on and off a number of different arms so had plenty of handling) was and is fine afik.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm....... maybe the new supplier's QC isn't up to Lyra's?

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While I did not have a failure with an Ekstatik, I did have one with a Krystal like @Mr Kandid cites, although I only had one go bad. It was sent back to Linn and they "did not find any fault" but it was replaced. No trouble since then.

Ian23

New Wammer
Feb 9, 2020
Yes, my dealer is trying to get Linn to a) send a new cartridge before the current one is returned, not easy, and b) ensure that they test it and ensure quality control before sending it out. All rather frustrating.

• Upvote
Reactions: ThomasOK

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure what they would test for, as, presumably, yours worked just fine for 25 hours. Unless they already have an idea of what the failure mode is, they’ll need to take your broken one apart.

’troll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe contact your dealer might be something simple like a cartridge tag loose.
True, there are a few connectors between cartridge output and Linto input.

’troll

ToonLP

New Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
Hampshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had exactly the same problem with my Ekstatik after only 40 hours playing. Fabulous service from my dealer who replaced it with a new one and returned the faulty one to Linn for repair. I’m now 175 hours into the replacement and it’s awesome. Sorry to hear your tale though. Clearly not an isolated problem eh?🙁

• Wow
Reactions: Moomintroll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Let‘s hope that Linn and E.M.T. have already solved whatever the issue was.

’troll

Reactions: pirov and akamatsu

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder what Linn does with any "repaired" cartridges like this?
They go into the staff prize draw at Christmas, or is it Chanukah…

(More probably, made available to staff or dealers at a knock down price)

’troll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles