blacksabbath25
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
ely cambridgeshire
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the last 3-4 months i have had issues with Roon freezing when i take the program out of minimize mode and now the Program takes a little while to boot up from start up .
Have posted on the Roon forum but not seen a fix for it yet or have i missed a solution for a fix on that forum .

Running windows 10 its up to date as well as Roon software

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the last 3-4 months i have had issues with Roon freezing when i take the program out of minimize mode and now the Program takes a little while to boot up from start up .
Have posted on the Roon forum but not seen a fix for it yet or have i missed a solution for a fix on that forum .

Running windows 10 its up to date as well as Roon software
No.
I'm sorry this doesn't help much. Using Win 11.

Have you tried re-installing it? Always seems to be the first call with these things.

Make sure you've created a backup - but I bet you already have. :)

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sounds like a pc time out configuration issue I've been running Roon via Roon Rock Nuc since 2018 only turning it off when I've gone away on holiday each year. I can't remember the last time Ive had a issue which has required me to reboot. The Nuc reboots automatically occasionally when updating but not always.

Occasionally the control app freezes on my mobile phone but that's just a swipe to close the app and reopen and it works fine again.

Faxe

New Wammer
Dec 18, 2021
Every now and then I am rebooting the mac mini that is running the core software if Roon is not working properly anymore. Happens once a month or so.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Roon runs optimally on a dedicated device with Rock. Not on a NAS, or a PC/Mac, whatever. No other operating system present. Of course, it will work but the experience/eesults are just not as good. Playback should be over your LAN; no direct connection.

This doesn't have to be too costly; a fan-less NUC will do the job nicely.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Roon runs optimally on a dedicated device with Rock. Not on a NAS, or a PC/Mac, whatever. No other operating system present. Of course, it will work but the experience/eesults are just not as good. Playback should be over your LAN; no direct connection.

That is good advice.

I built my Room Rock for about £250 with a intel 8i3 Nuc and all Samsung Evo SSD memory. This was a bare bones new Nuc fitted with all new parts It's way over spec compared to the minimum spec required. The original Roon Nucleus (£2500) uses the previous 7gen i3 Nuc the 8i3 has better benchmarks in all areas.

Budget another £100 if you want to add a Akasa Turing fan less case.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

And yet...

It runs without any issue from my laptop. Some of us can't be arsed to mess around with another computer thingee. ;)

Reactions: jobseeker

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And yet...

It runs without any issue from my laptop. Some of us can't be arsed to mess around with another computer thingee. ;)
Well, I turned my Roon server on 18 months ago and it's never been off. No messing around at all. It just works, updates perfectly every time. Amazingly quick & responsive. I read so many posts complaining about Roon; 99% of those problems will be down to a poor or compromised Roon implementation.

Reactions: JamieMcC

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I turned my Roon server on 18 months ago and it's never been off. No messing around at all. It just works, updates perfectly every time. Amazingly quick & responsive. I read so many posts complaining about Roon; 99% of those problems will be down to a poor or compromised Roon implementation.
I have no doubt. But some of us can't stand the fuss, if it works....

Maybe it's time for the OP to upgrade to W11. 🤣

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Something to consider, probably over 90 percent of those running a Roon Rock system ran Roon via a home pc or laptop before making the move to a more dedicated set up. I don't think I've ever seen anyone advocating swapping back to a home pc/laptop based set up from a dedicated Rock set up.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Something to consider, probably over 90 percent of those running a Roon Rock system ran Roon via a home pc or laptop before making the move to a more dedicated set up. I don't think I've ever seen anyone advocating swapping back to a home pc/laptop based set up from a dedicated Rock set up.
Totally agree, the move from Roon on iMac to Roon ROCK on NUC was painless, now on 24/7, no more running upstairs to wake up the iMac etc, and it sounds better (IMHO).

Blacksabbath25

blacksabbath25
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
ely cambridgeshire
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Going by Roon forum its a bug that they are trying to fix but can not see a solution yet

I have been running Roon on my PC for 3 years with no issues an till about 3-4 months ago then the program would hang ones taking out of minimize mode or it would crash taken out of that mode .
And now takes a bit of time booting the program up from start i do not keep my Roon going all of the time only when i want to use it .

My thinking is that Roon the company as moved on to windows 11 so the program works better with windows 11 now but for me to change i would have to buy a new motherboard and processer which is expensive .

Not sure if uninstalling Roon is going to do anything or not and i have backed Roon up as i am thinking about uninstalling it .

Reactions: JamieMcC

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My thinking is that Roon the company as moved on to windows 11 so the program works better with windows 11 now but for me to change i would have to buy a new motherboard and processer which is expensive .

Not sure if uninstalling Roon is going to do anything or not and i have backed Roon up as i am thinking about uninstalling it .
Aye The requirements for W11 are onerous. I did buy a new laptop last year, but it is expensive.

If re-installing doesnt work maybe a NUC would be cheaper as the above posts have suggested?

thewestfield

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2013
Malvern
AKA
Mal
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m running Roon on my W10 PC with no issues at all. The Pc is a couple of years old with 32 gb of Ram and the boot disk is a Samsung evo SSD 500gb. What kind of PC are you using?

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
Bloody thing freezes up daily since the software update. Year old Mac mini m1
So, apart from my freezing issue Roon is going up in price to nearly £13 pm. But its ease of use really doesn't justify that for me so I'll be off and back to PiCorePlayer which does most things I need with a bit more effort

Reactions: mikeyb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles