Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Am curious about listening to class D and have found this Teac AP 505. It has power meters which obviously mean that it will sound better than without 😜

Anyone got any experience with it please?

• Haha
Reactions: newlash09

PeteT59

Wammer
Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've a watch with a power meter, and that sounds fantastic.! Sublimely rhythmic and such clarity to the high end tick, and the tock has real body... [emoji23]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• Upvote
Reactions: robbyrtp and Bazzer

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hadn’t even heard *of* it, but it looks very neat and stylish.  And I read it uses the acclaimed Hypex modules, probably similar to the ones in my Nord and various other makes.  TEAC’s own ‘tuning’ is less clear, but it should prove to be a good workhorse. 

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks really nice but I suspect you'd get more value at Nord

Last edited by a moderator:

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hadn’t even heard *of* it, but it looks very neat and stylish.  And I read it uses the acclaimed Hypex modules, probably similar to the ones in my Nord and various other makes.  TEAC’s own ‘tuning’ is less clear, but it should prove to be a good workhorse. 
Looks really nice but I suspect you'd get more value at Nord
Maybe you guys can clarify a few things please. My very basic knowledge of amps is that it’s all about the circuit and components used. When it comes to Hypex are they all essentially going to sound the same with only minor differences between them? Apart from different power outputs, inputs and case design is there a lot in it between any given Hypex powered amp?

I need XLR inputs as well as single ended and it would be nice to have to level meters but it’s not worth paying more for them. I have used Tascam gear for decades and so it seemed natural to consider Teac.

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe you guys can clarify a few things please. My very basic knowledge of amps is that it’s all about the circuit and components used. When it comes to Hypex are they all essentially going to sound the same with only minor differences between them? Apart from different power outputs, inputs and case design is there a lot in it between any given Hypex powered amp?

I need XLR inputs as well as single ended and it would be nice to have to level meters but it’s not worth paying more for them. I have used Tascam gear for decades and so it seemed natural to consider Teac.
Not all class d sounds the same but if they are using the same internals as Nord they may well do so but just cost more money as in Bel canto I believe.

Give Colin at Nord a ring. He's a great guy and will be able to give you all the info on that. 

He won't try shill you at all.

Reactions: DomT

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When it comes to Hypex are they all essentially going to sound the same with only minor differences between them?
It’s a bigger question that you probably realise.  I don’t fully understand it but my basic understanding is this:

1. A Hypex module is a Hypex module, but you’ll see from their website that they make several different models.  They have a range of different gains and power outputs, usually indicated by numbers like 250, 500 etc.   https://www.hypex.nl/ncore-family/

2. Some can be buffered with Op Amps. Nord do this on their better models.  Or you can buy Hypex in a non-tweakable state, and they have a MP suffix.  The Nord website is a bit clunky but you can read about Sonic Imagery or Sparkos op amps etc.  
https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk

3. George and others have reviewed various Nords amp here which helps explain how these buffers change the sound. 
E.g. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here a link you may find interesting to read 

https://www.******************.com/forum/index.php?threads/which-class-d-amplifier-would-you-guys-choose.13821/

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes had a class D and sounded a bit too much with my horns but so good with the tannoys . [ eaton legacy] in fact they seem to really love class D . 

once i had 2 sets of class D bel canto ref 1000 . the second pair were modded and sounded so different . [ in a good way] 

then i got a class AB pair of monoblocks and they had more texture and presence than the class d . that was quite some years ago . then a rather nice MSB amp landed [ 200 watt class AB 32k now ] that was even better in terms of presence and realism . 

now using a power amp [ asx 50 monoblocks] many  thousands cheaper which is icepower and its still musical , engaging , warm and enjoyable . i am sure there are better amps but it was only a stop gap and i think its been in use 2 years or so . the sa-01 will land soon so see what that does . i also have a icepower asx 125 dual mono as a spare to try one day 

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes had a class D and sounded a bit too much with my horns but so good with the tannoys . [ eaton legacy] in fact they seem to really love class D . 

once i had 2 sets of class D bel canto ref 1000 . the second pair were modded and sounded so different . [ in a good way] 

then i got a class AB pair of monoblocks and they had more texture and presence than the class d . that was quite some years ago . then a rather nice MSB amp landed [ 200 watt class AB 32k now ] that was even better in terms of presence and realism . 

now using a power amp [ asx 50 monoblocks] many  thousands cheaper which is icepower and its still musical , engaging , warm and enjoyable . i am sure there are better amps but it was only a stop gap and i think its been in use 2 years or so . the sa-01 will land soon so see what that does . i also have a icepower asx 125 dual mono as a spare to try one day 
Sounds just like class a/b then; everything sounds different. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles