Anyone know anything about valves?

jeffg

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2005
, ,
Miller-8 wrote:

just looking for decent 6922s now, any suggestions?
I've got some Amperex Orange globe, some Amperex Bugle Boys and some USN Amperex (all6922) which you can borrow if you want to try some different flavours. All were bought from reputable Audiogon Us sellers. All worked fine in my amps/ dac. All have slightly different characteristics.

I eventually settled on Siemens E188CC and CCa :love:but errr.. not cheap to say the least.

PM me if interested.

Jeff

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Perrfect thread... looking around for ECC88 info as well.

What does the Amperex sound like? And what made you go for the Siemens/CCa (other than the higher costs
tongue.png
).

JJ

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
jj

I bought Mullard NOS ECC88 from Gerry at Crowthorne recently. (link is on valve thread in DIY)

Nice tubes, nice guy to deal with.

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Hey Tel, how did those turn out sound quality wise? Did you find what you were looking for?

Cheers,

Pete

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Pete,

I hate trying to describe sounds!

The Mullards are a definite improvement on the Sovteks which where the ARC specced valve. I was slightly restricted on my choice by budget as I need 4 off them in my pre.

I went as much on Gerry's recommendation and I have to say the Mullard name as anything else!

They are not as harsh as the Sovteks, the highs were very hard and are a lot nicer with the

Mullards, the sustain is better too, a cymbal goes on for ever!

They are getting better as well, I would say there are about 250 hours on them now and they are sounding great!

jeffg

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2005
, ,
Hi JJ,

The Amperex were very rich and warm to varying degrees, the Orange globe being somewhere between the USN-CEP (leaner) and the Bugle Boy.

The Siemens seemed a bit more open and more lively, slightly brighter. The CCa certainly were more detailedand worked really well in the amps. The Amperex probably had a bit more focus.

In the end the Siemens gave a more balanced sound with my (300b) valve amp and valve DAC. 2 x Ameperex were a bit too warm/ rich.

I was astounded at the difference changing the 6922 made compared with different flavours of 300b. Each were a vast improvement over the stock tubes.

Jeff

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Thanks Jeff... kinda like my experience with Amperex 12AX7s. Absolutely faboulous lush sounds but with my 300Bs makes it all abit on the mush-y side.

Have you had a listen to the Jan-Phillips 6922? Don't know whether to go for Siemans/CCa like you or stick to something simpler like the Phillips. I think at the end of the day, probly easier just to get the cryo'ed Phillips pair.

JJ

jeffg

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2005
, ,
JJ

My Audiologic DAC had Jan Phillips as stock IIRC. I found them quite flat and grey, not much life to them at all I'm afraid.

I wouldn't say that the Amperex were too lush but the Siemens esp the CCa (which I now have in the Audions) were just much more transparent. I have the E188CC in the DAC now.

Took me a while to find the CCa / E188CC at anywhere near a decent price, so I hope you have better luck than I did. Maybe the more standard Siemens will be easier to get hold of.

Jeff

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Hi Tel, Glad to hear that they're ok - can't really go wrong with the Mullards I think. So many different variations, it's hard to says what's best anyway...

Cheers,

Pete

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
jeffg wrote:

I was astounded at the difference changing the 6922 made compared with different flavours of 300b. Each were a vast improvement over the stock tubes.
Just re-read this...

What 300Bs have you toob-rolled?!!!
tongue.png
And what amp are you using?

JJ

jeffg

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2005
, ,
jonjin wrote:

jeffg wrote:
Just re-read this...

What 300Bs have you toob-rolled?!!!
tongue.png
And what amp are you using?

JJ
Well, I wouldn't excatly say that I've tube rolled, but at various times I've had Svetlana, Golden Dragons, Audion's stock"Hot Rod" 300b, some generic unidentifable Chinese brown base ones and some Electro-Harmonix gold grid (a quad of which I've still got for sale they've only had about 20 hours use if that).

The amps are Audion 300b monos and at the moment I've got a couple of Chinese types and 2 Western Electrics :Din service.

I'm saving up for another couple of WEs for the other mono
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.