Anyone read Stereophile's Audio GD R7HE MK2 DAC review?

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, just 2 hours a day of listening, every day, for three months, before it has 'burned in'. Personally, I would have forgotten what all my other equipment sounded like. What on earth does it have in it that it takes so long to reach its peak?

I've found burn in to effect most though not all components I've run. The only exceptions where the gear has not changed to my ears has been Afterdark OCXO clocks (they do have a warm up/stabilization time however), the Soundaware D300REF streamer, and Accurate Audio Ultimate D1000 DAC. All prior DAC's, amps, preamps, phono stages, cables, filters etc have show changes with burn in though I've found there are exceptions to the rule. The D1000 was stunning out of the box so I don't mind that it didn't change one iota with use. That was odd though as it's a discrete R2R implementation also with FPGA control. My prior Musician Aquarius saw large changes but still wasn't to my preference after months of burn in. Not enough bass weight and body.

No I don't disregard measurements and believe they can be a useful tool to figure out issues at times though measurements won't sway my purchasing decisions. If the R7HE Mk2 betters the D1000 I'll keep the R7HE Mk2, and if the D1000 betters it then the inverse is true. Music taste is purely a subjective pursuit so it makes sense that equipment choice is much the same. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: newlash09 and Lurch

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like MK3 versions of the ADG DAC range is starting be released.

Nicer designs, now available in silver of black, and more "normal" displays too.

Screenshot_20230324-074417.png
Definitely an improvement on the aesthetics for my tastes. Very smart indeed.

Only thing putting me off Audio GD DACs is that they don't seem to do models with a preamp mode, involving a proper internal digital implementation. Oddly, they seem to be able to do volume for the headphone output on some models (presumably analogue attenuation, rather than digital), but not into a power amp as far as I can tell. But I may be wrong.

I'm at the point in my hifi journey where I don't see any need for a preamp, applying the 'less is more' approach.

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
S
Definitely an improvement on the aesthetics for my tastes. Very smart indeed.

Only thing putting me off Audio GD DACs is that they don't seem to do models with a preamp mode, involving a proper internal digital implementation. Oddly, they seem to be able to do volume for the headphone output on some models (presumably analogue attenuation, rather than digital), but not into a power amp as far as I can tell. But I may be wrong.

I'm at the point in my hifi journey where I don't see any need for a preamp, applying the 'less is more' approach.
Suits me fine….. I like dedicated components which individually are at or near reference level. Typically better than an integrated solution. ;)

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Psilonaught.. Since you are considering a 10 Mhz clock, thought I'd point out the teac CG-10M. Either this or the rarer cybershaft OP-21A are the recommended 10 Mhz / 50 ohm master clocks for esoteric gear, if looking beyond their own clocks. But please check to see if your audio gd is 50 or 75 ohms. Dcs is all 75 ohms.

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Psilonaught.. Since you are considering a 10 Mhz clock, thought I'd point out the teac CG-10M. Either this or the rarer cybershaft OP-21A are the recommended 10 Mhz / 50 ohm master clocks for esoteric gear, if looking beyond their own clocks. But please check to see if your audio gd is 50 or 75 ohms. Dcs is all 75 ohms.
Afterdark clock are exceptional value also

Reactions: newlash09

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Afterdark clock are exceptional value also
Yeah they are 😁. I think they are more popular with dcs users, while cybershaft seems to be more popular with esoteric users 😁.

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since we are on the subject of clocking, thought I'd share the 2 cents I've read recently from folks running clocks and claiming gains. There are an equal number of others who haven't noticed differences. So YMMV 😜

1. Thermal stability for ocxo clocks. Most folks seem to be leaving their clocks on all the time. Even though manufacturers claim that their clocks will attain stability within 10 mins of switching on.

2. Very good.... Read expensive cables are required to send the clock signal unmolested over the distance to better the inbuilt clock sitting next to the DAC chip. Most folks are using shunyata clock cables.

3. Excellent isolation is apparently a must. Most folks seem to be using still points ultra under their clocks.

@Psilonaught.. Since you want to clock your switch too, apparently Sotm snh 10G Ne or a melco s10, coupled with a network acoustics eno or sotm's own cat7 cable seem to be the flavour of the month 😜.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just received a shunyata research venom aes cable and it's audibly superior to my pro audio vannedamme aes cable. More "air" around notes.

Whilst A/B testing the cables, I commented to myself that even at lower listening levels, the vocals on the R7HE seem to stand out so clearly from everything else on my test track. The "lit from within" comment resonates with me, it's quite extraordinary.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
2. Very good.... Read expensive cables are required to send the clock signal unmolested over the distance to better the inbuilt clock sitting next to the DAC chip. Most folks are using shunyata clock cables.
What is required are cables that meet the correct technical specs for the job. These can be had quite easily and inexpensively (as in tens, not hundreds) from any industry grade outlets like RS or similar. A 50ohm cable will have the correct impedance connectors and cable. Likewise 75ohm.

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What is required are cables that meet the correct technical specs for the job. These can be had quite easily and inexpensively (as in tens, not hundreds) from any industry grade outlets like RS or similar. A 50ohm cable will have the correct impedance connectors and cable. Likewise 75ohm.
I personally couldn't agree more 😁... And be glad at saving some money in the bargain too. But as I stated in my post. I was only sharing what I read from users 😜

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ll stick with my Tubulus Concentus I2S cable I think. It was easily the best I tried with my current DAC. Good tinned copper power cables seem beneficial wherever I’ve tried them also.

Last edited:

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Not that expensive for clock cables. I had Aurealis Audio make up some clock cables for me usually solid core Duelund pure silver in oil impregnated cotton…. It’s double shielded. I believe it’s now any offering on the Aurealis site. Wonderful sonics vs anything else I’d tried and reasonable price too.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally I'd rather use a 50ohm cable that is supplied with a certificate of performance in such a critical position as a clock cable.

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally I'd rather use a 50ohm cable that is supplied with a certificate of performance in such a critical position as a clock cable.
I’ve tried a fair number of different cables over time and those are simply the best I’ve tried hence why I stick with them. :)

When it comes right down to it I trust my ears….. The same as most AudioGD users I believe vs the average ASR reader. ;)

Last edited:

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve tried a fair number of different cables over time and those are simply the best I’ve tried hence why I stick with them. :)

When it comes right down to it I trust….. The same as most AudioGD users I believe vs the average ASR reader. ;)
https://www.aria-audio.com/en/products/harmonic-technology-dciii-50ohm

Did you see this being discussed a fair bit in the headfi clock thread?

I'm buying a LHY OCK-2 to act as a baseline and then I will get a Mutec Ref100 on trial and see how much better it is.

Was planning on trying a harmonic technology dciii with it.

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
https://www.aria-audio.com/en/products/harmonic-technology-dciii-50ohm

Did you see this being discussed a fair bit in the headfi clock thread?

I'm buying a LHY OCK-2 to act as a baseline and then I will get a Mutec Ref100 on trial and see how much better it is.

Was planning on trying a harmonic technology dciii with it.
I’ve not seen the thread hey (or I might have forgotten if i have). I simply tried clock cables until I found one I liked the sound of. The Duelund silver clock cable was best to my ears after extended listening. AB comparisons are really only great with far larger sonic changes where clock cable changes tend to be a bit more subtle. You need more time to understand what’s going on.

The LHY looks like a nice unit. Be interesting to see what you think of it. I never did Spring for a Mutec clock due to the cost though did enjoy a LPS modded Mutec MC3+USB for a time, also Gustard U18 though as I understand it the AudioGD DI20HE is as good as it gets. I’ve sort of gone another direction with the Soundaware D300REF though as I simply wanted the best performing streamer I could get my hands on….. The USB interface has been handy though

Last edited:

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ll stick with my Tubulus Concentus I2S cable I think. It was easily the best I tried with my current DAC. Good tinned copper power cables seem beneficial wherever I’ve tried them also.
If you don't mind me asking. Where did purchase your Tubulus Conceptus cable from. Can't seem to find any dedicated i2S cables in Europe.

Apparently i2S cables only carry audio signal as suppose HDMI ones which do Audio and video. A few forums state side very much favour the Blue jeans I2S cable. Also nowhere to been found in the UK or Europe.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm running all single ended gear..... Absolute Audio Labs ASL-1Z JFET pre and SIT-A15 VFET power amp. 15WPC of goodness paired with high efficiency speakers. Gorgeous sound. Tubelike in some respects, but nothing really sounds like a tube output stage to me but tubes. Should sound really very nice though. The system won't hold it back. :)
Out of curiosity, @MattyW , what speakers have you got?
I looked on your forum profile but you haven't filled in any system details

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles