Anyone read Stereophile's Audio GD R7HE MK2 DAC review?

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha, so I did. Sorry about that. I’m currently running Lii Song Fieke S6 speakers rewired with Duelund solid core copper twisted with Duelund solid core silver, and binding posts changed for EIZZ EZ-301 low mass copper binding posts. IsoAcoustics GAIA III feet are installed in place of the standard spikes. Excellent performance though a sub still required for low end impact. 98.7db sensitive.

I’ve some custom 467L ported “Emperor” cabinets being built presently which will have Lii Song Platinum-10 drivers installed, Mundorf Angelique CAW wire and EIZZ EZ-301 binding posts once more. Should be a nice improvement and allow me to retire the sub ;)

Speakers will be 1.75m tall x 55cm wide x 60cm deep, port tuned to 30Hz. Built using ply rather than MDF. Looking forward to getting them burned in as the Platinum are meant to be on another level to Lii’s prior Silver series which are themselves rather excellent. :)

Last edited:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha, so I did. Sorry about that. I’m currently running Lii Song Fieke S6 speakers rewired with Duelund solid core copper twisted with Duelund solid core silver, and binding posts changed for EIZZ EZ-301 low mass copper binding posts. IsoAcoustics GAIA III FET are installed in place on the standard spikes. Excellent performance though a sub still required for low end impact. 98.7db sensitive.

I’ve some custom 467L ported “Emperor” cabinets being built presently which will have Lii Song Platinum-10 drivers installed, Mundorf Angelique CAW wire and EIZZ EZ-301 binding posts once more. Should be a nice improvement and allow me to retire the sub ;)

Speakers will be 1.75m tall x 55cm wide x 60cm deep, port tuned to 30Hz. Built using poly rather than MDF. Looking forward to getting them burned in as the Platinum are meant to be on another level to Lii’s prior Silver series which are themselves rather excellent. :)
Great, thanks for that.
I needed a search engine for those!

Reactions: MattyW

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve not seen the thread hey (or I might have forgotten if i have). I simply tried clock cables until I found one I liked the sound of. The Duelund silver clock cable was best to my ears after extended listening. AB comparisons are really only great with far larger sonic changes where clock cable changes tend to be a bit more subtle. You need more time to understand what’s going on.

The LHY looks like a nice unit. Be interesting to see what you think of it. I never did Spring for a Mutec clock due to the cost though did enjoy a LPS modded Mutec MC3+USB for a time, also Gustard U18 though as I understand it the AudioGD DI20HE is as good as it gets. I’ve sort of gone another direction with the Soundaware D300REF though as I simply wanted the best performing streamer I could get my hands on….. The USB interface has been handy though
I'm actually in two minds about the LHY. These actually measure at around -100dBc at 1hz, rather than the claimed -115. Alvin has had to remove the phase noise claim from his Beatechnik site as a result...

The argument with clocks is almost always "better off just buying a better DAC" however I think the consensus is that the R7HE is up in the high-end realm where DACs become a matter preference. It feels appropriate to try a proper clock therefore, so I might just wait until funds allow a Mutec or AfterDark.

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The argument with clocks is almost always "better off just buying a better DAC" however I think the consensus is that the R7HE is up in the high-end realm where DACs become a matter preference. It feels appropriate to try a proper clock therefore, so I might just wait until funds allow a Mutec or AfterDark.
This is where the limits of my knowledge come into play. I've read that when discussing higher-end DAC's, that are using USB, clocking becomes irrelevant, because it's all done via a "cache" which briefly stores and reclocks the data according to the the FPGA.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is where the limits of my knowledge come into play. I've read that when discussing higher-end DAC's, that are using USB, clocking becomes irrelevant, because it's all done via a "cache" which briefly stores and reclocks the data according to the the FPGA.
I use AES EBU balanced digital and the AGD dacs will automatically ignore the dac's own clock when the unit it set to external clock mode, irrespective of the connection used. AFAIK.

Reactions: MattyW

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use AES EBU balanced digital and the AGD dacs will automatically ignore the dac's own clock when the unit it set to external clock mode, irrespective of the connection used. AFAIK.
I'm sure this is the case. I'm only referring to USB. This is one of the main reasons why I bought the Holo, and am looking at USB streamers or computers. MInd you, the Holo has a powerful PLL that works with all inputs. Research across the web leads me to believe I2S is the best connection.

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sure this is the case. I'm only referring to USB. This is one of the main reasons why I bought the Holo, and am looking at USB streamers or computers. MInd you, the Holo has a powerful PLL that works with all inputs. Research across the web leads me to believe I2S is the best connection.

I2S was certainly the best sounding input on my D1000. It’s reportedly best with the R7HE Mk2 also. The only downside is HDMI connectors are kind of flimsy compared to USB B let alone XLR. A pity they didn’t standardise on RJ45. It gives a more stable connection.

Last edited:

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well with zero burn in I’d place the R7HE Mk2 just a hair behind my well burned in D1000 which has a SR Purple installed. A very good starting point. Looking at the new DAC I don’t see a place for a fuse so I’m guessing none needed? Just have to get some hours on it I think.

It seems like it shifts things up a register vs the D1000. Need more time to let things burn in and assimilate what I’m hearing I think. Going to play with speaker placement a bit I think.

Last edited:

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Set to N1N11 presently….. What’s everyone have theirs set to?

Given this is very close with the D1000 with minimal burn in it really does bode well given there’s meant to be improvement up to 900 hours use. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: newlash09

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If there’s one thing I’m really hoping improves with burn in it’s that I’m missing the gravitas with Frank Sinatras vocals, or the rich sonorous sound of Jim Reeves voice. Piano notes have less weight body to them vs what I’m used to with the D1000. Given what I’ve read about this unit I suspect this will come with burn in. At the other end of the range though hi hats have more shimmer and most female voices sound lovely. A less natural presentation though once more I put this down to lack of burn in. Be interesting to see where this ends up.

Last edited:

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mmmm, a short listen this morning and it seems the missing gravitas may now be present. I’ll need to listen more tonight. I’ve left it running overnight and it will continue to do so a few days yet (media PC died so wife can’t turn it off). It’ll get 24 hour play until the new media PC arrives so we can play kids shows in the mornings, then it’ll just play from when I get home each day through to the morning.

A lot more life to the sound this morning and a long way to go yet with burn in. I’ve sneaking suspicion it’s going to leave the D1000 in the dust once fully burned in. It’s showing improvement in all the right areas.

Last edited:

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just got home….. Those initial weaknesses are all gone. This is ahead of the D1000 in some areas and matches it in other areas….. No question though even before adding a clock this is the better DAC and only 24 hours burn in! Dang! A lot more to come. Starting to get excited about this now. :)

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wowza, just blown away tonight. Sounding too nice to remain objective about. It has a tube like imaging which I’ve missed in my system for some time….. Since I moved away from tubes really. I’m really enjoying this….. Even if things didn’t improve from here I’d not mind yet I know there’s significant gains to be had yet….. And to think I’ve an Afterdark OCXO clock on order will take it stop further also. It boggles the mind really.

• Love

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I find that taking a deep breath, listening to this video, then smiling, tends to keep everything well balanced in my Hifi world. ;)
I appreciate it's not for everyone but is poignant nonetheless ?

MattyW

Wammer
Feb 23, 2017
Brisbane
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You know I could swear my sound chain has tubes in it when the R7HE Mk2 is in place. There are no tubes but geez it sounds nice. It has all the positives I associate with tubes and non of the negatives.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only just read this thread as I have never heard the DAC in question . However I would certainly point to my thread in Computer Music and in particular the details of the Leo Bodnar Clock . This used GPS to take a really accurate feed from satellites . I have added it to my Mutec CM - 3 + USB and the results are spectacular . Best bit is this little unit only costs £165 and can either be USB powered or I have added a 12v LPSU which I had just lying around . Improvements are just so good .

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not heard of that brand, thanks for sharing.

They publish their phase noise data which is good and honest.

-70 dBc/Hz at 1 Hz offset from the carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles