Anyone used Audio Nirvana drivers in front loaded horn?

The Beat

Wammer
Wammer
May 25, 2011
Tyneside
AKA
Paul
It seems they recommend bass reflex designs for their drivers but I'm looking for an 8" driver, with a wide range, for a front loaded horn which is about 97 dB efficient. These seems the most affordable if they'll work. Anyone tried them with any success?

Paul

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I would recommend a pair of Fostex FF225K if you can pick up some S/H. I have not heard the AN drivers apart from a very very brief listen to some at Scalford a few years back.

The Beat

Wammer
Wammer
May 25, 2011
Tyneside
AKA
Paul
Just checked the Fostex and it's response is only up to 14kHz. I'll be using the driver in a 2-way design so would like it to go higher than this. Thanks though. Were the Audio Nirvanas at Scalford front loaded?

David Pinnegar

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 26, 2010
Hi!

The Neodimium Audio Nirvanas are excellent and the next best thing to Lowther. I would add an addition to the whizzer cone which will make them nearer to Lowther, as I do for other drivers with a similar geometry.

However, the stronger magnet of a Lowther PM2 or DX4 or EX4 or PM5 will give you an edge of performance on the top end beyond the A-N.

If you are looking at Audio Nirvanas the Neodimium certainly do have an edge over the cheaper varieties.

Best wishes

David P

The Beat

Wammer
Wammer
May 25, 2011
Tyneside
AKA
Paul
Hi!The Neodimium Audio Nirvanas are excellent and the next best thing to Lowther. I would add an addition to the whizzer cone which will make them nearer to Lowther, as I do for other drivers with a similar geometry.

However, the stronger magnet of a Lowther PM2 or DX4 or EX4 or PM5 will give you an edge of performance on the top end beyond the A-N.

If you are looking at Audio Nirvanas the Neodimium certainly do have an edge over the cheaper varieties.

Best wishes

David P
Thanks David. You haven't by any chance heard a Tang Band W8-1772 have you?

Whilst searching I've came across these drivers also, which I can get from Europe, at a cheaper price than the AN. This purchase will be done without audition so is not an easy decision.

Paul

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I use a 8" 97dB neodymium Audio nirvana clone in my open baffle. Yes its decent- - - Updated - - -

You heard mine OB's which are made in the same factory with the same bits
Oh yeah, I loved the speakers but forgot they were the AN clones :doh: . They were brilliant! Did not notice any lack of HF :^

The Beat

Wammer
Wammer
May 25, 2011
Tyneside
AKA
Paul
I use a 8" 97dB neodymium Audio nirvana clone in my open baffle. Yes its decent- - - Updated - - -

You heard mine OB's which are made in the same factory with the same bits
Thanks, more good news but still not sure if anyone has actually heard them in a front loaded horn. I'm planning on using them with an Oris 250, though only going from 500 Hz and up so it's the high frequency response in the horn that I'm concerned about. I'm only starting out in this hobby and building my first system so don't know if it's behaviour in an OB will be significantly different to a horn.

I see you're using them with a Transcendent Sound OTL which I'm also going to be doing. What do you think of this combination?

David Pinnegar

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 26, 2010
Hi!

Yes - I have heard them in front horns. I did a number of experiments when getting a pair of Lowther TP1 London version which has shorter horns - I guess possibly 500Hz. The Lowther units had an edge over the A-N. Marginal but audible. Very marginal. If you don't want to go to Lowthers then the AN won't disappoint you but I would still be tempted to enlarge the whizzer with extensions to the Lowther dimensions.

But really 500Hz is too high a crossover frequency. It's not doing for you what full range drivers can do for you. What one is trying to avoid is for low frequencies which require high displacement to interfere with the upper frequencies, specifically as a moving source of high frequencies moving backwards and forwards at high speed. This produces the siren travelling past you effect, Doppler distortion, but at higher frequency up to around 100Hz and making the sound muddy. Really 100-200Hz is the best crossover region for this reason.

The reason for not going above 200Hz for your crossover is to avoid splitting reproduction of fundamental and harmonics. If you split, then whatever assumptions are made in fourier reconstruction, because of different masses of different cones used for a split system. If you split the sound it will not sound as realistic as it might, especially on transients . . . and whilst it might sound as good as it can do at one volume level at a different level it might not.

The thing that startles people coming to full range units set up well is that one can turn the volume down, down adn down further and still hear all the detail you want to hear.

demonstrates the success achieved.The solution I used for many of the speakers was a cheap full range driver in a foam cast of the 150Hz Lowther Audiovector top (front) horn.

I bought a pair of circular 150Hz horns on eBay and did not like them because the sound is too focussed into a sweet spot. Michael Wallis told me that was because they were not wide enough at the mouth and instead I far prefer his letter-box format 150Hz rectangular design.

Best wishes

David P

The Beat

Wammer
Wammer
May 25, 2011
Tyneside
AKA
Paul
Hello David

Thanks for your time. I take on board what you're saying about crossover point but I'm already down the road of speaker design and right now my crossover is set for the 500 Hz crossover point. I was originally going to use a compression driver but as my crossover will be external I thought I'd go with a wide range driver for future experiments.

I've seen you and others mention Mike Wallis horns and I tried searching for these online and found nothing. Does he have a website or is he more a bricks and mortar man? Very mysterious and elusive this Mike Wallis and his horns!

David Pinnegar

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 26, 2010
Mike Wallis has focussed in recent years on derivations of the Voigt horn, a couple of examples of which I've been able to buy from him but before this he made some beautiful natural wood derivations of the TP1 top horn.

It's very easy to make a simple TP1 type top horn with a jig saw and some 1 inch ply for top and bottom and 4mm MDF or hardboard for the curved sides. I can easily do tracings and send them to anyone interested and cheap Lowther style full range units sound quite good in them, so being a good opportunity to put a toe in the water of such sound without spending fortunes.

I have also constructed the Audiovector type of horn with thin MDF panels which I have stitched together 4 inches at a time with MitreFast glue, a superglue with accelerator which one sprays on to get it to set instantly. Using this technique perhaps the description of stitch together a few inches on the curve at a time makes some sense.

Meanwhile a reader of this forum but not a member yet, in Hastings, has examined the original Voigt and is making accurate copies. Mike Wallis' incarnation of the Voigt is of the home constructor variety with the simple horn flare. It's good but too directional. The more sophisticated type has a dual tractrix, the form for which is available from Thailand

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigt-Domestic-Corner-Horn-Reflectors-x2-For-Lowther-Fostex-Full-Range-Drivers-/200929838135

and it's this type that my Hastings friend is working with.

Best wishes

David P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online